First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
If you were even considering an extendehen d warranty, it may be worth it to do so and add the key protection (and then delete this thread ;))
That's what I did when I bought my current truck. I knew getting a new key/fob was expensive. Also there is no deductible for the key. And yes I've had to use it already. The key is somewhere between Vermont and Virginia.

That addon has paid for itself now. My extended warranty has a $100 deductible, but key replacement has no deductible.

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
Man, that sounds like something I’d of done. What a pain in the ass. Hope you get it worked out soon
I make it a habit to not put stuff on the bed rails and the rear bumper. It's too easy to forget it and lose it. I've set my sunglasses on a tire of my skid steer and run over them when I started back up. I also have hunted with someone that rested their shotgun on the truck tire and ran over it when they drove away. It wasn't me. I swear.

shooters1380

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Tremor
Occupation
Law enforcement
I make it a habit to not put stuff on the bed rails and the rear bumper. It's too easy to forget it and lose it. I've set my sunglasses on a tire of my skid steer and run over them when I started back up. I also have hunted with someone that rested their shotgun on the truck tire and ran over it when they drove away. It wasn't me. I swear.
LMAO!!

Sponsored

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
It’s a busy 4 lane “highway”, but yes I went back at 3 am, started from my house, and drove the first few miles at a crawl with my flashlight. Also obviously checked on foot near my place.
I'm sorry to hear you lost your fob. I put a plastic cap on my rear bumper that is about the same size as a fob, forgot it, and lost it within about 3 miles of my house on a quiet two-lane road. I drove that stretch 6 times and never found it. Based on my experience, I can easily see how you never found it. I think some things that fall off your moving vehicle go to the same place missing socks and gloves go.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
When the new FOB is programed at the dealer, Both FOB's will be required for programing. After programming is complete the lost FOB will no longer be recognized by the truck. In the case of adding a third FOB all three are required for programming as well.
IIRC, If you have two active key fobs, you can program a third yourself. No dealer needed.

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 KR 5.0L 157"WB RHD "Emaciated Edition"
I too did a dumb: remove aerial to more easily clean wiper blade, put in cowling channel for "safekeeping. Drive 500km on country (rough) roads, realise when pulling into driveway at home that "height indicator" is missing... found it still there in the channel 🥵🤣

Jekyll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 XLT SCAB 6.5, 2024 F150 Lariat SCREW, 6.
I put a flashlight on my rear bumper once and found it still there 250 miles later. Set it there another time before lowering the tailgate. I now have a dent to remind me to never put things on the bumper.

DaNYBigDogg

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT SCrew Powerboost
Occupation
Public Service Peon
With my Tacoma I left a really nice Japanese import cordless screwdriver on my rear bumper...when I pulled out and turned the truck around, the terrible "crunch" was the unfortunate reminder that I had left it on the bumper.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
One of the settings in the 24's APIM that's enabled is something about key presence notification. Curious if this setting would have alerted that the key was suddenly missing.

JBROWN

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 XLT
I drove farther than that with the keys on the bed cover, luckily mine were still there just a pain to find when I got out of the truck.

Losungen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT 402a
I’m surprised it worked that far away - my truck yells at me and starts honking if I’m a foot from the door with the key in pocket

Jimalt

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Star White Platinum PB 157” FX4 Max Tow
Occupation
Service
This evening while rushing to work, I remotely started my truck as I always do and set my keys on the bed rail while loading my bag into the back seat. I proceeded to get in, push to start, and drive my truck away. The keys were left on the bed rail and fell off somewhere between my house and work. I was able to drive 8 miles to work and when I got there and turned the truck off it gave me a warning "start truck now or key will be needed" or something like that. I didn't know what it was talking about, then promptly got a message saying "no key detected" when I tried to press the start button again. So if anyone is wondering if you can drive your truck without keys...you can! Now to figure out how to get a replacement made and get that lost fob deleted or deactivated.
Sorry about your issue. I learned long ago when I did "my dumb" and lost a key/fob that it is always easier to add a 3rd keyfob and key when they are new. It usually takes 2 keys/fob to program a 3rd. I already added a 3rd keyfob from Amazon ($49) and did the Youtube Programing since I had 2 keys already. Then I had Ace cut the new "blade style" key for $20. So, I recommend paying $69 NOW and getting a 3rd key - besides, if you do, you will never loose it!
By the way...if your vehicle takes (2) keys to program a new key, I learned on my older F150 that the Remote Start initialization worked as one key and then the real key worked as a second initialization and allowed me to program a new key even with only one key. Scour YouTube before you give up. Lastly...when you program your new Gen 14 keyfob, follow the instructions but be surprised if it really takes 5 or more attempts to work. I was about to give up and then the truck did what it was supposed to (beeped horn, I think) and it "took". I'm on my 9th F150 so I always have to review a few YouTube to recall how to program them.

WalterMitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
Never use remote start is the lesson 😎

Easy for someone in Orlando to say!!! :D

I never thought I would use the Ford Pass start feature that much either...until I tried it out. And in the dead of winter it's been REALLY nice. Commute via train, fire up the truck one stop before mine, arrive to a toasty truck. Or...land at Midway......get on the shuttle bus to the parking deck...and arrive at toasty truck. Now it's a feature that gets used a ton.
Sponsored