First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Just curious, how do you know they knew it was defective? Are you saying that they knew it could be a potential issue on some trucks, all trucks, or something like that? Or are you saying they knew for a fact that your particular truck was defective upon sale?

Like others have said, you can use lemon laws to get your money back and just walk away. The dealership may do a buy back just to not have to deal with the lemon laws.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Thunderchief

Thunderchief

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lariat Powerboost, 2021 Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired AF Fighter Pilot
When I took my truck to the Dealer because it was overheating, they "guessed" the problem since they had other trucks in the shop with the same problem. The Rep commented that one of the employees had a Powerboost with 10,000 miles (seemed high to me) and was surprised his was not leaking coolant. On one of these Ford web sites, a note said there were 571 Exhaust Heat Exchangers on backorder. Selling a known defect is something politicians do which I don't expect from a manufacturing company.

Scoop

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SuperCrew Platinum 5.0 4x4 6.5'
Global pLandemics have a way of disrupting the global supply chain. It has NOTHING to do with Ford, Chevrolet, GM, Ram, Toyota or the other LT manufacturers.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
As my neighbor said, "it's the complexity that concerns me". I'll be selling (2) older vehicles that are simple and cheap to repair and replacing them with this new F-150. I wish I could drive my comfy old vehicles forever but they will limit my abilities to do what I want or need to do in the coming years. Unfortunately they don't build them like they used to, but then they offer so much more capability today.

Time marches on..
Couldn't have said it better. I feel the complexity of the new vehicles is the reason for the number of failures. I've been buying new vehicles every 3 years, minimum, for the past forty years and never had a problem with any until 2015. I've owned 3 F-150's since then and have had issues with all three, but they all have been way more complex and feature rich than my 2013 Explorer XLT that my first F-150 replaced. I keep going back to F-150's because I want all the features and all the pick-ups that are feature loaded are having similar quality issues.

OP
OP
Thunderchief

Thunderchief

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lariat Powerboost, 2021 Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired AF Fighter Pilot
FMC delivered my truck to a Dealer knowing the Exhaust Heater had a high failure rate. This is not a logistics problem --- it is FMC selling a truck with a part that has a history of failure. A responsible company would not deceitfully sell a damaged product.

Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Not sure what to say. You're obviously unhappy with the truck and it's faults. Ask for a buy back or start the lemon law process. You can go get a Chevy, Ram, GMC, Toyota, etc.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
My story here has one big significant issue. Ford Motor Company and my dealer KNEW the Exhaust Heat Exchanger was defective before I bought my truck and yet they sold it to me anyway. It is not a trivial part as I have seen it listed for over $800. Ford Motor Company and my Dealer made a "business decision" that it was easier and cheaper for them to sell me their problem and worry about fixing it later.
A few hundred dollars for a cooling system component isn't that unreasonable, especially when it is probably a new and unique part not really found on most other vehicles.

I believe Ford was averaging ~5000 Powerboost trucks a month when they could actually build trucks, so there are probably >50,000 of them out there. WIth ~500 of a part on back order, even if every single one of them was for a failure, you're looking at <1% failure. Since the Powerboost is new, Ford doesn't necessarily know how bad the problem is yet either given all of the production and delivery issues. I would also be willing to guess that the number on back order isn't necessarily all for failures.

It sucks, but I think you're overstating how prevalent the problem actually is. And as was also pointed out, if you think there are widespread problems due to forum posts, you're going to have data skewed towards the bad end. Don't go to any other vehicle manufacturer forum either.

Last edited:

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I’ve bought 3 new vehicles in my lifetime
79 Chev C10 before I turned 19
This truck ate two automatic transmissions inside of a year and the third one gave up at three years. Installed 4spd manual and never looked back.
Though retired about 10 years ago, it still sits at the side of the garage.

2005 Ranger v6/5spd.
3 complete brake jobs inside of 30,000 due to stuck calipers.
Technician tried to blame it on my driving habits til I mentioned the above mentioned 79 Chev was only on its second set of brakes and original rotors and drums at 420,000.
Never another issue after that, but I did replace front brakes and ball joints at 130,000 just a couple of weeks before I sold it.

21 F150
Only issue so far after a year and 15,000 is a tire pressure monitor that fails in 100* temps and 20 miles.
Replaced this morning while I had it in for an oil change.
Oh, one other issue—recent hail storm beat the crap out of the roof and hood to the tune of nearly $7,000.
Not too happy about that one particularly since the Taurus & 98 K1500 came out unscathed and they were all parked together.

Im the second owner of the 98 k1500 and I’ve had it over 10 years.
bought it with 88,000 and it now has 210,000
Only issues I’ve had with that ( all right at 200,000)
Engine oil pressure dropped to 0 at idle
power steering pump
transfer case.

The good ones are many and the turds are few.
Many on this forum had been waiting months before delivery.
I waited right at 6mo to the day, and I got mine before pandemic crap took over
Many have disappeared from this site since delivery.
Many more will disappear after delivery.
They are all most likely happy as a lark and having fun with what they consider the greatest pickup ever built..

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
There seems to be some selective reading going on here.

I (along with many others) absolutely love my truck and have posted that in many threads on here.

Sponsored

Captain Chaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 screw
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Like my dad used to say, make a customer happy and he might tell 5 people, piss a customer off, and he'll tell everyone he knows.

I think it's important to bear in mind, while the complaints on these forums are extremely high, that is still merely a drop in a bucket in comparison to the people that have purchased, and are happy.

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
Well OP ask yourself the question and you’ll have your answer.

This is my 4th Ford truck plus I’ve owned many other Fords and other brands over the decades. The only issue I’ve had with my Fords are the Chevy owners with little man syndrome. :LOL:

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
I think that we assume that the left hand knows what the right hand is doing as we tend to see things from the outside-in, and only from our point of view.

The scale of operations is beyond imagination if we look at the numbers. Ford builds 8,797 vehicles a day and uses 88,000 employees to do so. Does that machine shut down because some dude in a forum complained about a coolant leak? No, there is a massive amount of MOMENTUM behind a global machine like that and it does not shut down based on one data point, nor even a few hundred data points.

To think that the sales guy knows of every single defect that has occurred in every vehicle sold over the last year....is a stretch. For this specific part, the 2021 model year appears to have gotten through without incident with this heat exchanger. Should the service guy interrupt every sale because he knows of systemic faults in the supply chain? I myself have been the "service" guy in a different industry, and had to learn to be diplomatic else I'd be walking the street, or at the very least kicked in the knee under the table during a meeting.

We're (North) Americans, we're optimistic and "can do." The glass is half-full and we can make things work. Sorry for the hassle that you're going through, hopefully we can help each other in this community as we uncover the challenges that make life interesting.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.