Sponsored

Hybrid Shifting Clunkiness from Reviewers?

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
Engineering Test Mode 2021 F150

To access the trip computer fix on the 2021, kill the truck in Normal mode, open the door and then close the door to make the dash turn off. Wait a couple seconds for the screens to go black.

Hold the OK button (right steering wheel) for at least 5 seconds and continue holding until you see the message after the next step.

Apply brake and hold, start truck ignition (NOT ACC Only), and continue holding the OK button until you see Engineering Test Mode.

Cycle up or down 1 and it’s basically the only thing you can edit on the menu.

Question:
Are you 4x4 or 2x4?
Thanks for that. I've got the 4x4 but did not get the FX4 package. I used to know how to access it on my 2018 STX 2x4 with key start. I would adjust the AFE Bias somewhere in the 935-936 range. It was probably off due to the 20" factory wheels. My new Powerboost has the same 20" diameter and with the same variance as I had with the 2018 of 1.2mpg I'm going to start with the same value and see where I end up!
Sponsored

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I am working on a post to add to this thread, but i have noticed this also. The regen system kept my front brakes from collecting near any dust over 5000 miles of driving. If you don’t go out of the green when stopping on the hybrid meter, it barely uses any real brakes.

Slippery Mode is a different story and barely uses any regenerative braking. You will notice the MPG drop when using slippery even though you don’t change any drive style. Also, the auto 4 x 4 will engage fully even under light throttle. So much that it will hop the tires on wet pavement making a sharp turn.

If you have low miles on your tires, or have rotated them frequently, you can just stay in normal mode and turn 4 x 4 on full time, and then it will transfer the stopping power of the rear tires to the front tires via the transfer case, and still use the regen braking system to the fullest.
Good thoughts. I have the XLT so no Automatic 4wd. I have noticed the wheel hop in turns in slippery mode. I'm not real confident of using it though because I don't think there's enough 'slip' to offset the wear & tear on the transfer case. The only benefit I see is the transfer of engine braking to the front when in 4x4. I'll have to play with it and see. But thank you for the comments.

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
I think CR has gone to the dogs since they were taken over and fired their best people, but yes, the PowerBoost is not smooth. Rough shifts and lag in stop-n-go driving. I have a Feb build F-150 Hybrid and I recently drove a June build Hybrid – the newer (June) vehicle was noticeably better at stop-n-go through a stop sign. I didn't get enough miles to feel out how it downshifts. Also, my Feb truck is not bad, it's just not a finished product in terms of the transmission programming.
The only real "scandal" about the Hybrid is it never gets 24mpg and its mpg towing is terrible.
I think Ford should have put a 100hp motor and 30 kWh battery in it like their Lincoln branded product, but that would make the Lightning look like a second place finisher.
Still, I'm confident Ford will roll out updates and the transmission will be budda. : )
I have a November 2020 build and had the clunk issue. the dealer basically did a reflash and it made it smoother. I get up to 24 MPG religiously with mostly city driving. I have the FORSCAN tool and made one adjustment that took out the clunk totally.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I have a November 2020 build and had the clunk issue. the dealer basically did a reflash and it made it smoother. I get up to 24 MPG religiously with mostly city driving. I have the FORSCAN tool and made one adjustment that took out the clunk totally.
What adjustment did you make?

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I'm curious to play around with around with FORScan on the Hybrid. Hopefully I can get a local dealer to update whatever firmware. Please explain the adjustment you made (and perhaps explain why it worked, if you would.)
p.s. I was just doing a little low range off-road driving and those pedestrian safety noises have to be turned off … it's fine for the parking lot or whatever, but off-road with the engine off and the vehicle using electric drive, the back-up beep is so out of place. There really should be a "shoosh" button to mute all those artificial sounds.

Sponsored

scrming

First Name
V6 John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT PowerBoost
So my truck updated last week and it was really clunky especially the soft starts and making the transition to gas. Down right scary at time. Did a lot of driving this weekend and now the transition is smoother than it’s ever been!

ptricky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I've had my PB since March and it definitely has some clunkiness. Mainly I notice it when taking off from a stop and it will shift from 1 straight to 3. Otherwise it feels great.
Have a PB with ~6,500 miles. I did notice some intermittent transmission clunk / delay / stutter over the first months of ownership. The behavior was on par with what the Car Guru's video in this thread calls out. Not ideal, but something I can tolerate.

However, the transmission is awful after the 1.6.0 update. Skips from 1 first to 3rd gear nearly every time the vehicle starts to move from a complete stop. Normal mode, sport mode, eco mode...it's like second gear is gone. I'm not positive 1.6 is to blame. The transmission problem starting after the update is probably is a coincidence :rolleyes:.

The transmission does shift into and through second gear in manual mode. Second gear feels rougher than any of the other gears, but it's still mechanically functional even though the computer prefers to skip it.

Checked codes with FORScan - nothing indicating an issue.

I have an appointment with the dealer. From what they say over the phone, there's a service bulletin indicating that "rough shifts are normal". I don't have any detail on that, though I'll press for more details when I'm onsite.

scrming

First Name
V6 John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Have a PB with ~6,500 miles. I did notice some intermittent transmission clunk / delay / stutter over the first months of ownership. The behavior was on par with what the Car Guru's video in this thread calls out. Not ideal, but something I can tolerate.

However, the transmission is awful after the 1.6.0 update. Skips from 1 first to 3rd gear nearly every time the vehicle starts to move from a complete stop. Normal mode, sport mode, eco mode...it's like second gear is gone. I'm not positive 1.6 is to blame. The transmission problem starting after the update is probably is a coincidence :rolleyes:.

The transmission does shift into and through second gear in manual mode. Second gear feels rougher than any of the other gears, but it's still mechanically functional even though the computer prefers to skip it.

Checked codes with FORScan - nothing indicating an issue.

I have an appointment with the dealer. From what they say over the phone, there's a service bulletin indicating that "rough shifts are normal". I don't have any detail on that, though I'll press for more details when I'm onsite.
right after the last update my truck was right down scary! But after long weekend of driving (guessing 300 miles of varied driving) my truck is shifting great!!!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If an update legitimately altered any shifting strategy other than Eco or Normal to skip 2nd, I'd be throwing a hissyfit. Lol

On my previous 10r80 I even had my transmission tuned to my personal liking. It's an awesome transmission when it's polished up a little in the code. :)

scrming

First Name
V6 John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If an update legitimately altered any shifting strategy other than Eco or Normal to skip 2nd, I'd be throwing a hissyfit. Lol

On my previous 10r80 I even had my transmission tuned to my personal liking. It's an awesome transmission when it's polished up a little in the code. :)
not sure if it actually updated anything or just did a reset.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
not sure if it actually updated anything or just did a reset.
I was responding to the fella just before you who stated his truck now skips 2nd in every strategy (mode)

The 10r80, like most transmissions these days, gets a lot of bad press and some of it is deserved. But it's a marvelous piece of engineering if the software isn't so biased towards fuel economy and is allowed to be a 10-speed.

scrming

First Name
V6 John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was responding to the fella just before you who stated his truck now skips 2nd in every strategy (mode)

The 10r80, like most transmissions these days, gets a lot of bad press and some of it is deserved. But it's a marvelous piece of engineering if the software isn't so biased towards fuel economy and is allowed to be a 10-speed.
got it. I only really drive in normal mode and don’t pay really attention to gears…

rca

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I've reset my transmission tables with Forscan a few times and it generally seems to help. I've still got the issue with the electric motor that needs to be replaced, waiting on parts, so I'm withholding too much judgement until that happens. I read somewhere recently that if you're on the gas from a stop it will shift into 2nd, but if you're taking off slowly it might skip from 1st to 3rd. I've been testing that and it seems to be true for me. Seems if I'm a little more in the gas the shifts are smoother.

ptricky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
right after the last update my truck was right down scary! But after long weekend of driving (guessing 300 miles of varied driving) my truck is shifting great!!!
I'm not sure if others had the same issue, but that must be it!

The dealer reset my transmission tables & the learning process was nearly identical to what was happening after the 1.6 software update. I still need some more miles, but I really think the night-and-day change in behavior was software related.

The transmission still skips gears. I assume that's by design and I don't take issue with that as long as the "CLUNK" noise stays away.

File my story under the unnecessary panic generated by non-existent release notes on software updates. It's one thing if Ford notes that the transmission is going to re-learn. It's another to wake up one morning and encounter such a dramatic change out of the blue.

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I'm not sure if others had the same issue, but that must be it!

The dealer reset my transmission tables & the learning process was nearly identical to what was happening after the 1.6 software update. I still need some more miles, but I really think the night-and-day change in behavior was software related.

The transmission still skips gears. I assume that's by design and I don't take issue with that as long as the "CLUNK" noise stays away.

File my story under the unnecessary panic generated by non-existent release notes on software updates. It's one thing if Ford notes that the transmission is going to re-learn. It's another to wake up one morning and encounter such a dramatic change out of the blue.
My FordPass sent me a message that my truck recently updated. First time I've seen that but I'm still trying to figure out how to see what was updated. When I select 'Updates' on the screen all I get is the response saying it's 'Up to date'. No version number or system.
My OCD is killing me. I want to know details!
Sponsored