• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How will you pay for your Lightning?

How do you expect to pay for your Lightning?

• Total voters

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
As Dave Ramsey says buying any vehicle is the worst investment you can make.
That's better than no vehicle at all in most parts of America. Driving around in old beaters isn't a great idea either since car safety has improved a lot over the years.

Since interest rates are so low these days, it doesn't make much sense to dump all our cash into a new car. Instead, take a loan and put the cash in an index fund.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I purchased a 2021 Chevy Bolt (trade in from a high-mileage 2019 Bolt) at 60 months. However I will not be owning the F150 EV due to it being the first generation, and for me personally, I don't like to purchase cars. Everyone has their vice... and mine is cars/electronics. However I will be doing a 48-month Ford Options, with maybe 5-10 down. I am learning towards the Lariat+ or the Platinum.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I purchased a 2021 Chevy Bolt (trade in from a high-mileage 2019 Bolt) at 60 months. However I will not be owning the F150 EV due to it being the first generation, and for me personally, I don't like to purchase cars. Everyone has their vice... and mine is cars/electronics. However I will be doing a 48-month Ford Options, with maybe 5-10 down. I am learning towards the Lariat+ or the Platinum.
I hear you on the vice! I tend to get the itch after 2 or so years (which is horrible I know).

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
I hear you on the vice! I tend to get the itch after 2 or so years (which is horrible I know).
These days with used vehicles being so valuable it doesn't sound that bad!

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
Dave Ramsey is not someone I'd look to for advice in general. And yes, we all know a vehicle is a terrible investment. No one expects a financial ROI from their new vehicle.

If you can afford it and you want it, no reason not to go after it just because you won't make money on it. There's more to a vehicle buy than just money.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Dave Ramsey is not someone I'd look to for advice in general. And yes, we all know a vehicle is a terrible investment. No one expects a financial ROI from their new vehicle.

If you can afford it and you want it, no reason not to go after it just because you won't make money on it. There's more to a vehicle buy than just money.
Yes I agree... and with this being an EV, this truck is all about technology. Technology in itself will always have some time of planned obsolescence.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I plan on paying for the truck by becoming a YouTube influencer focused on EV towing :LOL:.

But seriously, really worried about people taking out bigger loans to cover ADM for the Lightning and other vehicles. What are they going to do in a few years when (hopefully) the market becomes more rational and prices fall? There's going to be so many people underwater at trade-in time.

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I plan on paying for the truck by becoming a YouTube influencer focused on EV towing :LOL:.

But seriously, really worried about people taking out bigger loans to cover ADM for the Lightning and other vehicles. What are they going to do in a few years when (hopefully) the market becomes more rational and prices fall? There's going to be so many people underwater at trade-in time.
Rationality usually goes out the door for some folks who want the latest and greatest. I once knew someone who paid 25K on a lease so the payments can be low.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT

See also: 2008.

Duckwrangler

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda C5, Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
RN

Exactly. I would never consider the Lightning to be an investment. It's money we are spending because it meets many needs/wants for us. It isn't something that would've been an option for us financially even a few years ago.

Sponsored

Deleted member 9341

Same as when you go to purchase any vehicle and can't afford it / can't get financing. The dealer keeps it and sells it to someone else.
And typically they keep your deposit too unless specifically stated otherwise

Deleted member 9341

Generally speaking ADM can’t be financed because lenders won’t have collateral against it since the vehicle isn’t really worth that much. Not to say you can’t find an exception but you’ll bend over to get it.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
And typically they keep your deposit too unless specifically stated otherwise
Yup - always look for refundable deposits.

Deleted member 9341

Rationality usually goes out the door for some folks who want the latest and greatest. I once knew someone who paid 25K on a lease so the payments can be low.
But he would have paid the $25k either way. Either pay up front or in a payment over time