Sponsored

How long do you plan on keeping your truck?

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
I plan on keeping mine at least 8 years. But then again, if something happens to catch my fancy, who knows. ;)
Sponsored

Ryan74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Carbonized Gray 4x4
I've decided to draw a hard line with this one which is not until a PHEV piggyboost comes out. 2026 is when the whole "breathalyzer to start" thing comes into fruition. I don't even drink and think that's just crazy to think about the possibility of a malfunctioning something or other not allowing a start because however it's implemented is just hot garbage.

1695964090658.png
So if the driver is sober but your passenger is drunk as a skunk you won’t be able to start your car. Sounds great!

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 3.0L Powerstroke
Put me in the long haul group. I'll be here asking stupid questions for quite a while. I just put $21k CAD into a late 2021 and spent the whole summer rust proofing 2/3 of the frame. I would expect to get at least 20 years.

Iconic22F150

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat FX4 Iconic Silver
Occupation
Physical Security Supervisor
The plan is 250k mi+ basically as long as it will last. This is why this was the very first new vehicle I’ve purchased (the wife got her first new one couple years ago). We plan on giving our kid her car when they start to drive. Her Edge will be 12+ years old when that happens. We had an Escape before that which was 15 years old with 200K mi on it before we sold it to a nephew who is still driving it.

Sponsored

Bugzuki

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 PowerBoost Super Crew 4x4
I will be keeping mine at least until I am no longer upside down on the loan to value. So probably for 6 more years when the loan is paid off. 🤣

The main thing would be what happens with the hybrid specs in the future and if I can get it into my truck. Like wondering if I could get the Lincoln electric motor to fit to get the upgraded HP.

I love my truck except for the Rough Country lift the previous Owner installed in it. All the parts are going bad in that kit. Maybe I will swap to a lowering kit when IHC comes out with it for the Crew Cab VDS trucks.

gb7FRz26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew Short Bed, 2010 Prius
I'm planning right at 20 years for this truck, unless involved in a major accident.
Am currently at 13% of that self imposed lifespan, and am at 30% engine lifespan before rebuild (assuming gasoline motor lifespan of 6,000 hours).

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I believe that with good synthetic lubrication and good filtering for the engine you can extend the life beyond 20 years. My example is a 92 Suburban bought new, put on synthetics early, then good filtration added later... 30 years and well above anything mentioned elsewhere. With an aluminum body the frame and other iron based components that are quite thick, the truck will survive a long, long time. With progressive maintenance you can make it go and go and go...

ccie4161

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F015 xlt sport
Occupation
engineer
I've often wondered, with all of this "planned obsolescence" how many of us plan on keeping our trucks long term?(like 10+ years) I tend to stick with things I like, but it seems like it's getting harder to do these days with the way vehicles are literally made to fail after the warranty expires it seems. Am I in the minority here? Just curious...
I have a 2016. I plan on keeping it until 2026. I'm hoping there are still trucks to buy at that time. I do plan on getting a v8, F150 Lariat with max towing package

Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I'm planning right at 20 years for this truck, unless involved in a major accident.
Am currently at 13% of that self imposed lifespan, and am at 30% engine lifespan before rebuild (assuming gasoline motor lifespan of 6,000 hours).
Engine hours are not a good indicator of engine lifespan in automotive application imo, that really works better for boats and heavy equipment that face positive load 24/7 under operation. Especially in the case of any engine mated to the 10R80 loafing at extremely low rpm on the highway in deep overdrive gears, stresses are so low in that instance, but in city driving that wear accelerates.

Metallurgy has also changed a lot, I was watching a video from a Ford engineer about the plasma liners used on the 5.0 and he stated that the plasma welded liner is so incredibly hard it doesn’t even wear in like a traditional cast iron sleeve. He said they could torture test the engine for equivalent of 200k miles and when they tore down the motor the liners still had the machining marks like they were brand new. Not to say motors aren’t still wearing out or getting new issues with new technologies/getting wrecked in accidents, but they are engineered better than ever imo.

Last edited:

gb7FRz26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew Short Bed, 2010 Prius
Engine hours are not a good indicator of engine lifespan in automotive application imo, that really works better for boats and heavy equipment that face positive load 24/7 under operation. Especially in the case of any engine mated to the 10R80 loafing at extremely low rpm on the highway in deep overdrive gears, stresses are so low in that instance, but in city driving that wear accelerates.

Metallurgy has also changed a lot, I was watching a video from a Ford engineer about the plasma liners used on the 5.0 and he stated that the plasma welded liner is so incredibly hard it doesn’t even wear in like a traditional cast iron sleeve. He said they could torture test the engine for equivalent of 200k miles and when they tore down the motor the liners still had the machining marks like they were brand new. Not to say motors aren’t still wearing out or getting new issues with new technologies/getting wrecked in accidents, but they are engineered better than ever imo.
Yep, time will tell. It's budgeted and expected (turbos doubly so).

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
8 years. Unless I get the itch for something else sooner.

SWFLGuy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
I’m looking to be able to keep this one along time. My record isn’t very good as I usually get bored in 3-4 years.
But this is my first brand new special order truck so there is hope.
Sponsored