HELP! I messed up big time.

Huttar13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 STX Supercrew 5.0
Occupation
Construction Management
(2022 STX Fx4 5.0L) so I was trying to run a power wire through the passenger side firewall grommet and while I was pulling the wire through the nipple on top it grabbed another wire from the wiring harness and ripped it in half. My truck no longer starts, I have power with the ignition on but no crank when I turn the key. The wire is a small yellow wire with a red stripe. How screwed am I? If I can find the other broken end can I just splice the wire back together? Also has anybody removed the engine bay fuse block? it will make access to find the other broken wire end much easier as the grommet and harness are behind it. Thanks in advance and any advise is welcome as I'm having a full blown panic attack and stressed out of my mind.
Sponsored

crazywayne311

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 SCrew 157" Agate Black Lariat 502A
Occupation
CTMO
I'm sure others will chime in with a better solution but i'd abandon whatever you were doing and focus on trying to find the wire that got ripped in half. I'd get a splice kit or some kind and some heat shrink and electrical tape...and maybe even some sxtra wire (unfortunately not sure what AWG) but work on getting that back together.

OP
OP
Huttar13

Huttar13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Construction Management
I'm sure others will chime in with a better solution but i'd abandon whatever you were doing and focus on trying to find the wire that got ripped in half. I'd get a splice kit or some kind and some heat shrink and electrical tape...and maybe even some sxtra wire (unfortunately not sure what AWG) but work on getting that back together.
That's the plan I spend about 4 hours last night trying to find the other end of the wire so I can splice it back together and hopefully fix the issue, but ran out of daylight. Its a very thin wire, I Wish I knew what it went too so I can narrow down my search. I have shrink wrap and wire and a bunch of other electrical stuff. Worst case scenario I have it towed to my dealer and hopefully don't get financially screwed. (At least that's what I tell myself to keep from freaking out.)

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
The dealer will likely recommend replacing the entire harness which will not be cheap. If you are able to find both ends and reconnect them in a secure fashion, that would be your best bet. Hopefully, no other wires were damaged other than the one in question.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Huttar13

Huttar13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Construction Management
The dealer will likely recommend replacing the entire harness which will not be cheap. If you are able to find both ends and reconnect them in a secure manner, that woukd be your best bet. Hopefully, no other wires were damaged other than the one in question.
Yeah I know, I'm trying to stay positive and hope I can find the other end. its just such a tight area with limited visibility. Future tip for anyone who wants to run a power wire into the cab just go under the cab along the frame and into the grommet under the passenger seat and save yourself the risk of making your truck into a paper weight.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
You're just going to have to start removing parts to make it more accessible. The grommet/boot on the driver's side is substantially more friendly to work with.

OP
OP
Huttar13

Huttar13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Construction Management
You're just going to have to start removing parts to make it more accessible. The grommet/boot on the driver's side is substantially more friendly to work with.
Already started that, luckly I found the two ends of the wire. I'm going to attempt to solder it back together and fingers crossed this is the solution. I'll keep updating as I go.

Ford F-150 HELP! I messed up big time. 20240524_135831

Ford F-150 HELP! I messed up big time. 20240524_135837

Ford F-150 HELP! I messed up big time. 20240524_135902

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
Disconnect your batteries, strip the wires back a little bit, splice them, (correctly) and try your connection to get back up and running. Im with others, Id buy a replacement. www.car-part.com is going to be your friend.

SeanV313

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 302A, FX4, PB
Occupation
Fleet Vehicle Program Manager

Sponsored

crazywayne311

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 SCrew 157" Agate Black Lariat 502A
Occupation
CTMO
its a long weekend...i would make sure i do my best to make sure those wires are spliced the best they can be, and that you tape/heat shrink the hell of of that wire so that it cant come apart ever again haha

glad you got it situated! never would have though a wire could get snagged and rip it in half

OP
OP
Huttar13

Huttar13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Construction Management
its a long weekend...i would make sure i do my best to make sure those wires are spliced the best they can be, and that you tape/heat shrink the hell of of that wire so that it cant come apart ever again haha

glad you got it situated! never would have though a wire could get snagged and rip it in half
Thanks, they were striped back and soldered together real good, heat shrink and all other loose wires were taped back up with wire harness tape. It was a long and stressful ordeal but I'm glad it's done. Hope other that try to run wires through that spot use me as a lesson. A tip would be you can pull that grommet out and cut in a hole and avoid touching the factory wires, removing the fuse box and battery tray gives you enough room and isn't too bad if you know what to do. All in all it was a bad way to start a long weekend but I'm glad it's done.

Zedbra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Thanks, they were striped back and soldered together real good, heat shrink and all other loose wires were taped back up with wire harness tape. It was a long and stressful ordeal but I'm glad it's done. Hope other that try to run wires through that spot use me as a lesson. A tip would be you can pull that grommet out and cut in a hole and avoid touching the factory wires, removing the fuse box and battery tray gives you enough room and isn't too bad if you know what to do. All in all it was a bad way to start a long weekend but I'm glad it's done.

I recently ran a thick wire through that boot as well. Instead of going next to the wire loom, I pushed through the top corner of the grommet. I did pull the battery tray and fuse box out to give sufficient work to work and to get that grommet seated properly again.
Sponsored