Help I screwed up

BigPoppy513

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
I need help while installing my new raptor grille I sliced into the drivers side DRL. Everything worked fine then all the sudden stopped working I repaired the wire hooked everything back up and still nothing. I’ve checked the fuses all look good but the weird thing is the low beam works but high beam doesn’t. So I’m looking for ideas and help if possible. TIA
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
If you're sure it's fixed, letting it sit may clear it if it's 'smart', otherwise you could have killed the control module (on headlight) / burnt out one of its VRMs. The DRL has voltage regulation on it to adjust brightness. Some of the circuits in the truck will intelligently shut off on short and eventually come back -- that's those connected to the BCM however. What you did was short something controlled by a discrete controller attached to the headlight itself. Not sure if they added protection circuitry to it.

OP
OP
BigPoppy513

BigPoppy513

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
If you're sure it's fixed, letting it sit may clear it if it's 'smart', otherwise you could have killed the control module (on headlight) / burnt out one of its VRMs. The DRL has voltage regulation on it to adjust brightness. Some of the circuits in the truck will intelligently shut off on short and eventually come back -- that's those connected to the BCM however. What you did was short something controlled by a discrete controller attached to the headlight itself. Not sure if they added protection circuitry to it.
Thanks I ordered the control module just in case.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks I ordered the control module just in case.
Hey, just double checked the wiring diagram and the DRLs are on a FET. Aka, you just need to reset the BCM and it should come back. Should occur with a couple key cycles. FET = auto shutoff on short. It will come back :)

Ford F-150 Help I screwed up 1685415268974

OP
OP
BigPoppy513

BigPoppy513

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Thanks so much I did try them earlier with no luck but I’ll keep an eye out thanks again. Just to be clear there is nothing I need to do other than drive it normally. I did shut the DRLs off should I turn them back on?​

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You can try disconnecting your battery/s (depending on trim, may be 2). If that doesn't bring it back, it may the module which isn't listed on the wiring diagram which is weird.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
OP
OP
BigPoppy513

BigPoppy513

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Ok still need help so here is the update wasn’t the control module. I plugged in the other light and it worked fine plugged the original back in worked for a couple days the out again. Disconnected the battery waited about 15 minutes will come on but goes out once the lights turn off they don’t come back on. I’m at wits end and can’t figure it out. It looks like crap with the lights out please help.

OP
OP
BigPoppy513

BigPoppy513

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
You can try disconnecting your battery/s (depending on trim, may be 2). If that doesn't bring it back, it may the module which isn't listed on the wiring diagram which is weird.

Ok still need help so here is the update wasn’t the control module. I plugged in the other light and it worked fine plugged the original back in worked for a couple days the out again. Disconnected the battery waited about 15 minutes will come on but goes out once the lights turn off they don’t come back on. I’m at wits end and can’t figure it out. It looks like crap with the lights out please help.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sounds like some wiring gremlins you might have to chase down with a multimeter.
Sponsored