Sponsored

Heavy Duty Payload Package and PowerBoost or Lariat/King Ranch/Limited

tzb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Does anyone know why you cannot order the HDPP for any higher trim than the XLT Mid? This has been driving me absolutely bonkers. It seems completely arbitrary and rather short-sighted.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Because Ford said so. Doubt you're ever going to get an official answer anywhere, just guesses. Best guess, they don't want to take away sales from higher trimmed Super Duty trucks.

tzb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Thanks. If you are right, that is still ridiculously myopic. There are many who simply will not buy a super duty and would rather adjust payload than kick it up to super duty for a variety of reasons. What they are missing is that these same people would, however, gladly pay for the HDPP upgrade. I guess I will have to put this in the same category as the reason they refuse to tell you specific payload as built online (though they could very easily do so). Exceedingly frustrating and stupid.

Reactions: 780

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Pretty certain that the decision is not Ford's to make; that they are hamstrung by CAFE standards and the F-150 is impacted by this, along with the unintended consequences of people going with the 12MPG Superduty, instead of a 16MPG fully optioned out F-150.

Sponsored

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Pretty certain that the decision is not Ford's to make; that they are hamstrung by CAFE standards and the F-150 is impacted by this, along with the unintended consequences of people going with the 12MPG Superduty, instead of a 16MPG fully optioned out F-150.
I would think CAFE would help them in this case, as the F-250 is not counted in CAFE by being "10,000GVWR or over." F-250 don't get rated for EPA fuel economy. It would help them to push people into F-250 to sell less F-150 proportional to their CAFE totals. Unless that's what you were saying? I can't tell.

I don't think it's as diabolical as to push people into F-250s. The more options you have, the more there is to stock, keep track of, and manage. The frame is a very specific, complex thing. Even something like a specific paint color has to come out of a certain paint color has to come out of a specific factory. My guess is they looked at how many people were buying it in Lariat back when you could, and it wasn't worth keeping it around.

Roscopcoletrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT...on order
Don't forget what payload is. You start adding all the gizmos and fancy stuff of the higher trims and it starts taking away from that payload. To me, thats a big reason why its only offered in the lower trim models.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Thanks. If you are right, that is still ridiculously myopic. There are many who simply will not buy a super duty and would rather adjust payload than kick it up to super duty for a variety of reasons. What they are missing is that these same people would, however, gladly pay for the HDPP upgrade. I guess I will have to put this in the same category as the reason they refuse to tell you specific payload as built online (though they could very easily do so). Exceedingly frustrating and stupid.
I would have loved the HDPP on my Power Boost. The PB's are cargo capacity challenged from the beginning.

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
I think if Ford made the F-150 Hybrid a 30kWh plug-in (like the Lincoln) it would take away Lightning sales (and generally be a better truck for long distance and towing even with only 1.5kWh and a 40hp motor.
That I would have bought.

For my use case, PowerBoost wasn't worth it and not ready for a full EV like the Lightening.

Although it would depend on the payload rating as well as I tow and need to keep an eye on that.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Yep. I'd be in the queue. I would have loved to have HDPP on a 302a. Still not sure why you can't. You used to be able to get a 500a Lariat HDPP.....

Roscopcoletrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT...on order
Yep. I'd be in the queue. I would have loved to have HDPP on a 302a. Still not sure why you can't. You used to be able to get a 500a Lariat HDPP.....
Sure would be nice. The better headlights, and heated/cooled seats would be a welcome upgrade over the 301a.

Reactions: 780

RociPB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21-F150-XLT-PowerBoost
PB also has 3 leaf springs like the HDPP.
Hybrid battery packs are heavy. I absolutely believe that the battery alone is probably 500lb by itself. Also the added weight of the additional cooling the battery system needs should also be considered.
Coming in way late on this, but was reading this thread and saw your profile pic. See my username? My truck name is “Rocinanate” in the ford pass app, and I have always wanted to give my girl an exterior detail that only fans of the show would notice, and I really like your logo subtly placed on the back window. I wanted to put “TACHI” on the roof in white or something like that, but there aren’t that many options for buying vinyls online because it is a smaller fan base compared to something like Star Wars.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
Coming in way late on this, but was reading this thread and saw your profile pic. See my username? My truck name is “Rocinanate” in the ford pass app, and I have always wanted to give my girl an exterior detail that only fans of the show would notice, and I really like your logo subtly placed on the back window. I wanted to put “TACHI” on the roof in white or something like that, but there aren’t that many options for buying vinyls online because it is a smaller fan base compared to something like Star Wars.
You are the first person to get it! My truck's name Bobby, hotspot is "MCRN-Tightbeam-Relay" lol.
Love the name of your truck. I think a "Tachi" or even a "Baratnas Gas" logo would be super fitting for yours. I got my sticker from Redbubble, they have a decent amount of Expanse stuff these days.
Sponsored