somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150, 2023 Audi Etron Quattro
Occupation
Doer of stuff and things.
Hello all,

First, thank you for the existence of this forum. I have found it to be immensely helpful in helping guide my decision making. Alas, I have a few lingering questions before placing my order.

I will be ordering a 2023 Supercrew 4x4 5.0 HDPP with max tow package in the XL trim (only available trim for 2023). I am having difficulty understanding any contraindications when mixing different packages. From what I have gleaned through these forums it seems that the HDPP and Max tow are a natural fit together. I am still deciding about adding the Fx4 package. I'm not interested in the "is it worth it" debate, but rather what am I actually getting that isn't already covered by the Max Tow and HDPP? If the HDPP comes with stiffer springs in the front and rear (?) would I get "downgraded" to softer springs by adding Fx4, as in, would adding FX4 take away any of the structural components of the HDPP? Also, are there any omnipotent forscan experts out there that can verify if hill descent control and rock crawl mode can be added after market with the 2023 model? It seems that all of the information I can find about adding these features are from 2020 and earlier.

I'm also considering the snow plow prep package. I will not be using a snow plow but I am interested in any hardware improvements that come with it. In current Super Duties and F150s in years past this package also gives you a heavier duty alternator and stiffer front springs which I am interested in. Also, would anything in the snow plow prep package interfere with other packages as described above?

Given a hypothetical build of HDPP, Max Tow, Snow Plow Prep, FX4 how does Ford go about choosing the suspension components for the build? Or is each package mutually exclusive?
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm no expert, but when I ordered a 2018 HDPP, it was still available in XLT trim. It was required to have the longer wheelbase, so the 6.5' bed was mandatory.

And yes, you can get Max Tow without HDPP, but you can't get HDPP without Max-Tow. They are joined at the hip. :)

So things like rear axle ratio are pre-determined. Even the wheel choice was locked to a single choice because of the payload demands.

The good news for you is that I personally like the Gen14 XL interior better than the Gen13 XLT. We have an XL Powerboost at the office that is nicer in many ways to the 2018 HDPP XLT I spoke of. I'm so disappointed that Ford doesn't offer the Powerboost drivetrain in the HDPP.

Good luck with your truck order!

OP
OP
somecatchyphrase

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
For 2023 it seems ford is limiting the HDPP to XL trucks. I was at first very disappointed in this so I went to a dealer to sit in an XL high truck and I thought to myself "damn this is really nice" so I'm ok with that "downgrade." The only things I'm really going to miss about the HDPP not being offered in XLT high is the intelligent access with push button start, 360 cameras, and power sliding rear window and oddly, you can't add propower 2.0 with XL HDPP in 2023.

I am currently working my way through the weeds trying to sort out my self imposed dilemma described above. To FX4 or not to FX4? I have not found much information/reviews on 22+ FX4 packaging or snow plow prep.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Ford is doing a lot of screwy things in 2023 and everyone thought that 2022 was a let down from 2021.

HDPP used to be available in Lariat trim! Though not for a while and the decision to drop it was likely due to a low take on them.

The messed up thing is all the extra features like 360° cameras and reverse sensors and stuff makes just as much sense on the HDPP trucks as well as on others. My only guess is that the bulk of the builds are for fleet trucks getting aftermarket beds and the aftermarket hasn’t caught up with the technology yet. When I was looking for used trucks; most of the HDPP builds had fiberglass service shells and their tailgates were missing.

Most of the people who should be getting the HDPP either aren’t because they bought into Ford’s PR and bought a truck off the lot before doing any research assuming the high GVWRs were normal, or they simply won’t compromise on the luxury items and either way; both cases just make do exceeding their sticker by hoping for the best or through backyard/online engineering and adding airbags or helper springs.

At least when I got my truck, FX4 doesn’t pro rate any of the options that already come with the HDPP, so I’d be paying $1K for universally maligned skid plates and a button that can be added with Forscan.

You can try searching Parts.Ford with an FX4 HDPP VIN to see if the shocks or springs are different. I doubt it.

The plow prep is an interesting question too and one that I wonder about. The 7,850Lb GVWR is all you get. I don’t know if the GAWRs are different but the Powerboost does get the highest front GAWR of a table that I have seen of axle weight ratings.

Another option is to look at the Superduty; something that I considered though from the small sample size of trucks that I drove, one F250 4x4 drove like shit on the highway, wandered and was squirrelly above 50MPH, likely due to poor alignment that also was heating up the front tires and the other F250 4x4 drove great but I didn’t feel like dealing with Ford’s solid front axle problems.

Since I can’t order the truck I am driving today, it’s hard for me to say what I would do if I had to replace it.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you have learned!

H4ppyB34r

First Name
Borys
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 4x4 HDPP Max Tow 3.5LEcoBoost
Occupation
General Contractor
I ordered a 2022 that should be here in 2 weeks, and was on the same path you're on now...

FX4 only added the skidplates, since HDPP already added the larger gearset and lower gear ratio/locking diff, so it actually lowered the payload by about 30lbs

Hdpp and max tow didn't let me add any sort of camper or plow package

I added ProPower 2.0 to my Ecoboost, and that gave me dual alternators

Sponsored

H4ppyB34r

First Name
Borys
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 4x4 HDPP Max Tow 3.5LEcoBoost
Occupation
General Contractor
Attaching window sticker for options

Ford F-150 HDPP Build input appreciated Screenshot_20220825-083937_Adobe Acrobat

According to the online vin lookup tool, should be a pretty capable truck for a half-ton.

I'm coming from a 2006 Powerstroke Super Duty, and this one has 200lb less payload than SD, but should get much better mileage and be much more comfortable, plus it's 4x4

This one is also rated to tow up to 13800lbs, which is a good deal more than the 12500 on the old SD

Ford F-150 HDPP Build input appreciated Screenshot_20220822-152345_Chrome

Last edited:
OP
OP
somecatchyphrase

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I ordered a 2022 that should be here in 2 weeks, and was on the same path you're on now...

FX4 only added the skidplates, since HDPP already added the larger gearset and lower gear ratio/locking diff, so it actually lowered the payload by about 30lbs

Hdpp and max tow didn't let me add any sort of camper or plow package

I added ProPower 2.0 to my Ecoboost, and that gave me dual alternators
I would love to have ProPower 2.0 but alas, it cannot be ordered with the 2023 HDPP. Your truck build looks awesome. Well done.

I would still love to hear from any resident Forscan experts about being able to aftermarket add the rock crawl mode and hill descent control for 2023 model years. If so, it will be very easy for me to pass on FX4. If not, well i'll just have to have a beer and think about that one...

I've seen in various newer threads that adding the snow plow prep package removes the active air dam. I'll be adding that package for that feature alone regardless of my original post questioning if it comes with the improved alternator/other hardware or not.

OP
OP
somecatchyphrase

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I finally ordered the HDPP f150 on 9/23. Here is the build sheet.
Ford F-150 HDPP Build input appreciated HDPP F150 Build Sheet Snip.PNG
Ford F-150 HDPP Build input appreciated HDPP F150 Build Sheet Snip.PNG
Sponsored