First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 XLT, 66 mustang
Occupation
Construction
Hoping to get some myths and confusion cleared up here.
I have ordered a 2023 F150 CREW 6.5 bed, 3.5 EB, FX4 with Max Tow. I did not see HDPP (Heavy Duty Payload) on order site and was told by dealer that HDPP was only available on XL trim. I have seen posts on this site stating that Max Tow includes bigger axle, springs, etc. I believe this is incorrect and a common myth (Assumption). I am hoping I am wrong and something has changed for 2023? Are any of the HDPP components now included in the Max Tow Package? I was hoping to get a 2100lb+ payload.
My TT has a 900-1000 tongue weight and a 1600lb payload isnt going to cut it.
If ford just flat out discontinued this option on XLT and above they are going to lose a ton of the RV 5th wheel and TT customers.
Very frustrated at Fords confusing and misleading tow specifications and packages.
Any first hand feedback will be appreciated.
Sponsored

Reactions: 780

Kidder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 3.5EB SCREW 157"
The dealer is correct. You used to be able to get HDPP in the lower XLT Trims. But, now it's XL only. Max Tow really only gets you tow tech, the bigger axle and stronger bumper. I have a Max Tow Lariat with a 1600 lb payload.

You'll need to jump to a 250 or 350 for that much tongue weight. Personally, I would go with either the 250 HDPP or 350. I had a 21 Super Duty Lariat 250 Powerstroke and it only had a 2.1k payload. If I go SD again, I'll just get the 350.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
On the XLT PB with Max Tow you get the 3.73 3/4 float HD axle and three leaf rear suspension. Beyond that not sure what else the two packages share.

dirty.hal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XL Supercrew
You are correct HDPP is discontinued for XLT and Above for 2023. It is also my understanding that Max tow does not increase GVWR, its more like a package of all towing options (hitch, gas tank, differential, trailer backup assist). I was annoyed by the lack of HDPP on XLT but ordered anyways and resigned myself to installing the missing creature comforts later in the aftermarket. My XL HDPP is awaiting shipment from Granger to my house in WA. I had Granger send me a picture of the payload capacity and it is 2515lbs for a 3.5 Ecoboost Supercrew 6.5 bed.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I have seen posts on this site stating that Max Tow includes bigger axle, springs, etc. I believe this is incorrect and a common myth (Assumption). I am hoping I am wrong and something has changed for 2023?
Whole lotta MaxTow trucks out there with the HD 3/4 float axle...

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/can-anyone-tell-me-what-this-is-part-failure-on-axle.8963/

Max Tow has always been spec'd with the HD axle, it was just harder to identify on pre-Gen14 trucks due to it being a thicker semi floating axle shaft, but the same externally.

Max Tow is required to be selected when you spec HDPP. That's why both get the HD 3/4 float axle.

Ford F-150 2023 HDPP vs Max Tow 1670878674232

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Exactly, you can’t get HDPP without Max Tow.

However; you also can’t get close to the maximum towing capacity in Ford’s literature without HDPP while still maintaining proper tongue weight and having passengers/cargo in the truck and still be under the rear GAWR.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/...2021/f150/pdfs/2021-F-150-Technical-Specs.pdf

Ford advertises 14,000 pounds of towing capacity for a 3.5 Ecoboost Supercrew shortbed with a 145” wheelbase. The maximum payload of that configuration is 2,300 pounds in likely the stripped base XL trim that only existed for 21-22 that had the manual wind up windows. With 10% tongue weight, you only have 900lbs of remaining payload and realistically only about half of that for anything in the bed of the truck which would mostly load up the rear axle. If you have a 15% tongue weight you only get 200 pounds of remaining payload and that might not even leave enough weight to carry a thermos, let alone any passengers or cargo in the truck.

The picture is even more grim for the higher trims, of which some don’t even have the same payload as a Ford Maverick truck.

Max Tow doesn’t add at all to payload. In fact; the change from 8.8” to the HD9.75” axle can result in a lower sticker payload in certain configurations.

Max Tow will get you a higher GCWR for towing and HDPP will get you a higher payload. Only by having both will you be able to tow a decent amount of weight while having the truck completely loaded up with passengers and cargo.

Ford also doesn’t equip the F-150 with a true class IV hitch. It’s more along the lines of a class III/IV hitch. My OEM hitch has a sticker rating for 14,000lbs towing and 1,400lbs tongue weight with a weight distributing hitch and 5,000lbs towing and 500lbs tongue weight without; which is less than some class III hitches non-weight distributing ratings. Even more absurd, is that the front GAWR is going to max out before the rear on my regular cab truck if using a weight distribution hitch at maximum payload while towing.

Ford has really forced most people into the Superduty in 2023 for those that want to tow a modest amount of trailer weight while loading up the truck itself.

It really sucks that Ford has further hobbled the HDPP with trim limitations in 2023 while also having a new Superduty line. The HDPP was a good choice for anyone interested in having some overlapping F-250 capabilities while staying with the F-150.

Good luck with your decision!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Gen12 F150 could get HDPP in Lariat trim.
Gen13 F150, Ford dropped it to XLT trim.
Gen14 F150, as noted, Ford dropped it to XL

Having said that, a nicely equipped Gen14 XL is far nicer truck than the XL for Gen 12 & 13

And Jesse-Infotainment has shown that with some tenacity, you CAN have an HDPP F150 with even multicountour leather seats and Bluecruise!

Ford makes the HDPP more unicorn every generation. A Jesse-ized HDPP would truly be the ultimate F150 towing beast.

H4ppyB34r

First Name
Borys
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 4x4 HDPP Max Tow 3.5LEcoBoost
Occupation
General Contractor
Love my HDPP 6.5ft XL CrewCab 4x4

Just under 2500lb payload, and after some mods this thing is a beast
Ford F-150 2023 HDPP vs Max Tow 1000008171

The ONLY thing I miss is heated\cooled seats, but it's a small price to pay.

Im waiting for the Alpharex Novas to get delivered, and I'll be "done" with mine.

I did order a set of air springs for the rear, I ordered the Roadmaster springs, and they work well, but the air helper springs do a better job of controlling the load. I'll wind up doing onboard air as well, it will be nice to have the flexibility

Ford F-150 2023 HDPP vs Max Tow 1000008160

Ford F-150 2023 HDPP vs Max Tow 1000008143

Last edited:

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
if you can compromise 100lb on payload you can order my configuration and get 1998 lb payload

XLT 301A w/ 4X4, 5.0, supercab config.

Ford F-150 2023 HDPP vs Max Tow B12497DE-9C78-4DCC-9854-889B03BBE41A

Last edited:

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Having said that, a nicely equipped Gen14 XL is far nicer truck than the XL for Gen 12 & 13

...with some tenacity, you CAN have an HDPP F150 with even multicountour leather seats and Bluecruise!

Ford makes the HDPP more unicorn every generation. A Jesse-ized HDPP would truly be the ultimate F150 towing beast.
Has anyone added the multicontour seats to a regular cab truck, or even just the 10-way power seats?

The main problem that I have with the XL trim, is that it’s the worst value of all when adding options like 4X4.

Ford F-150 2023 HDPP vs Max Tow ABA619C2-D3AF-4AE9-AA7A-7967A9DEA485
Ford F-150 2023 HDPP vs Max Tow 8D8FD7D9-65E9-433D-9F1B-E2E484C25516

Granted, it costs a lot more than $1,200 to upgrade to XLT but 4X4 is a ripoff to begin with for the F-150 when compared with the Ranger and Superduty. Adding an extra thousand and change because you ordered an XL is a kick in the nuts.

Then features that would make towing a trailer easier like the 360° cameras are unavailable for XL and strangely, in regular cab long bed XLT, not only can’t you get HDPP, but even Max Tow is unavailable. Even Securicode is no longer available for XL on the F-150. I use the keypad often while hopping in and out of the truck when backing up a trailer in the city.

Ford has made lots of questionable decisions regarding availability of options for F-150. Meanwhile allowing many à la carte options for the whole range of Superduty and Bronco, where you can get upfitter switches on both base models. Worse, only the Tremor F-150, (only available in Super Crew 145”) has that pretty random option. XL Superduty also has 360° cameras and the bed step available as separate options.

While you can add features after the fact, I almost feel that’s not even going to happen even in 1/100 trucks when the owner even had that intent to begin with. I finally just got around to adding aftermarket LED headlights on my XLT after nearly two years of ownership. It would have been a hell of a lot easier and enjoyable to just pony up the money for the OEM projector headlights when I ordered my truck but it wasn’t available and in addition to the HDPP on XLT; the Copilot 360 assist is no longer available for XLT. One has to get a Lariat or higher. If something happens to my truck, I doubt that I would order the lower trim either giving up features or adding them after the fact.

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Copilot 360 assist is no longer available for XLT. One has to get a Lariat or higher. If something happens to my truck, I doubt that I would order the lower trim either giving up features or adding them after the fact.

According to Ford's site Copilot 360 2 .0 is available on XL std and included with XL High, XLT, Tremor, and Raptor trim editions. They probably dropped the original Copilot for the 2.0 version. Things get a little quirky when adding different options that conflict with each other. For example on the XLT 302A has CP 2.0 included by default, but if you add rain sensing wipers it removes the CP 2.0 but is still listed in the options list at the bottom of the configuration.

Probably have to play with the build configurator to get the exact options you want then go to a dealer that really knows their stuff to order it. Still sucks how Ford has all but eliminated some options on the F150 forcing buyers to shift to higher trim levels for things that used to be available on the XL or XLT, and even pushing them to the F250 in some cases.

dirty.hal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XL Supercrew
Has anyone added the multicontour seats to a regular cab truck, or even just the 10-way power seats?

The main problem that I have with the XL trim, is that it’s the worst value of all when adding options like 4X4.

ABA619C2-D3AF-4AE9-AA7A-7967A9DEA485.jpeg
8D8FD7D9-65E9-433D-9F1B-E2E484C25516.jpeg

Granted, it costs a lot more than $1,200 to upgrade to XLT but 4X4 is a ripoff to begin with for the F-150 when compared with the Ranger and Superduty. Adding an extra thousand and change because you ordered an XL is a kick in the nuts.

Then features that would make towing a trailer easier like the 360° cameras are unavailable for XL and strangely, in regular cab long bed XLT, not only can’t you get HDPP, but even Max Tow is unavailable. Even Securicode is no longer available for XL on the F-150. I use the keypad often while hopping in and out of the truck when backing up a trailer in the city.

Ford has made lots of questionable decisions regarding availability of options for F-150. Meanwhile allowing many à la carte options for the whole range of Superduty and Bronco, where you can get upfitter switches on both base models. Worse, only the Tremor F-150, (only available in Super Crew 145”) has that pretty random option. XL Superduty also has 360° cameras and the bed step available as separate options.

While you can add features after the fact, I almost feel that’s not even going to happen even in 1/100 trucks when the owner even had that intent to begin with. I finally just got around to adding aftermarket LED headlights on my XLT after nearly two years of ownership. It would have been a hell of a lot easier and enjoyable to just pony up the money for the OEM projector headlights when I ordered my truck but it wasn’t available and in addition to the HDPP on XLT; the Copilot 360 assist is no longer available for XLT. One has to get a Lariat or higher. If something happens to my truck, I doubt that I would order the lower trim either giving up features or adding them after the fact.
I got the keypad on mine, it was a dealer installed option.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Hoping to get some myths and confusion cleared up here.
I have ordered a 2023 F150 CREW 6.5 bed, 3.5 EB, FX4 with Max Tow. I did not see HDPP (Heavy Duty Payload) on order site and was told by dealer that HDPP was only available on XL trim. I have seen posts on this site stating that Max Tow includes bigger axle, springs, etc. I believe this is incorrect and a common myth (Assumption). I am hoping I am wrong and something has changed for 2023? Are any of the HDPP components now included in the Max Tow Package? I was hoping to get a 2100lb+ payload.
My TT has a 900-1000 tongue weight and a 1600lb payload isnt going to cut it.
If ford just flat out discontinued this option on XLT and above they are going to lose a ton of the RV 5th wheel and TT customers.
Very frustrated at Fords confusing and misleading tow specifications and packages.
Any first hand feedback will be appreciated.
What trim level and options did you order? If you can post that, you should be able to get a close estimate on where your payload will end up.

For example, I also have a F150 SuperCrew 6.5 Bed, 3.5, FX4 with Max Tow.

Mine is an XLT 302A that I has the following options:

Sport pkg
Tow Mirrors
360 cameras
20" wheels
Tailgate step
Adj. pedals
Fold flat storage
OnBoard scales & SmartHitch
My payload is 1,777 lbs.

1,000 lbs tongue weight seems like a lot for an F150. How long is that trailer?

Last edited:

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
According to Ford's site Copilot 360 2 .0...
My truck came with Copilot 360 2.0 Assist, which has the lane centering function. It was a $750 option to upgrade to the ‘Assist’ and also required the 360° cameras at $765 when I ordered the truck in late 2020 on my XLT 301A which was $1,050 over the base after the XLT Mid discount Ford was running.

I also got the rain sensing wipers but a bunch of other features were gimped at the last minute like Trailer TPMS in early 21 builds.

There’s now just the regular Copilot 360 2.0 or the Copilot 360 2.0 Active which is only on Lariat and above now.

There was talk of having similar options on the new Super Duty but it’s looking like chip rationing might be changing that just like the 2023 F-150. 2024 will probably be the first opportunity to see if it’s truly shortages, or if Ford is paywalling more features in the future. Hopefully it’s the former!

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't Copilot 360 2.0 Active the Blue Cruise setup? If so Ford is definitely paywalling behind the higher trim models, but then that's pretty common for pretty much all auto-makers. As long as Ford doesn't pull the subscription thing like Toyota, BMW, Merc, etc then I can't really complain about them reserving some features for higher trim models. Sure it'd be great to have some of those options on say a XLT 302a but it's not the end of the world to me if I can't.
Sponsored