Sponsored

Input on Trim Decision, please? (Lariat v Platinum)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Wrangler JLU; 20 Navigator L; 19 Volvo XC60 T8
Hello everyone. Test drove the F-150 Powerboost the other day and have been busy building them online ever since. I'm not a fan of chrome and really like the Sport Package on the Lariat trim. I'm planning to go Carbonized Grey exterior, but I've also been thinking I like the look of the Platinum interior and especially the grille shape and higher level leather in the Platinum. But I really, really dislike the rims on the Platinum. I really dislike not getting a wireless charger in the Lariat.

Options - 1) Build the Lariat (sport) and deal with the wireless charger delete, etc. 2) Build the Platinum and vinyl wrap the chrome black or matte and buy new dark gray/black rims. I also like the Carmelo (tan/orange/light brown) interior color on the Platinum but not so sure that would look good with the Carbonized Grey exterior. I could see being ok with having the black exterior (and leaving the chrome) in the Platinum but ideally I like that Carbonized Grey. Those rims though are so ugly.

Any input appreciated!
Sponsored

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
Hello everyone. Test drove the F-150 Powerboost the other day and have been busy building them online ever since. I'm not a fan of chrome and really like the Sport Package on the Lariat trim. I'm planning to go Carbonized Grey exterior, but I've also been thinking I like the look of the Platinum interior and especially the grille shape and higher level leather in the Platinum. But I really, really dislike the rims on the Platinum. I really dislike not getting a wireless charger in the Lariat.

Options - 1) Build the Lariat (sport) and deal with the wireless charger delete, etc. 2) Build the Platinum and vinyl wrap the chrome black or matte and buy new dark gray/black rims. I also like the Carmelo (tan/orange/light brown) interior color on the Platinum but not so sure that would look good with the Carbonized Grey exterior. I could see being ok with having the black exterior (and leaving the chrome) in the Platinum but ideally I like that Carbonized Grey. Those rims though are so ugly.

Any input appreciated!
It’s all subjective but here are my two cents. This is a big purchase. If you can’t stand the rims you can always get new ones. I think you owe it to yourself to get something that you won’t regret. Sounds like you like the grill and interior better in the platinum. Go with that! I went with the lariat sport because I don’t like ANY chrome.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Wrangler JLU; 20 Navigator L; 19 Volvo XC60 T8
It’s all subjective but here are my two cents. This is a big purchase. If you can’t stand the rims you can always get new ones. I think you owe it to yourself to get something that you won’t regret. Sounds like you like the grill and interior better in the platinum. Go with that! I went with the lariat sport because I don’t like ANY chrome.
Me neither ... I vinyl wrapped the chrome on our Navigator and it's holding up OK, but it seems like a lot to do on a Platinum trim.

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
Me neither ... I vinyl wrapped the chrome on our Navigator and it's holding up OK, but it seems like a lot to do on a Platinum trim.
It is a tough decision. If it were me, you have my answer already. ;)

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I went through a similar thought process and ended up buying a Lariat 502a in Carbonized with a black leather interior, chrome appearance package, and the 20" PVD wheels. I was set on getting a Platinum or a Limited but, honestly, I don't like the interiors. For my taste, they are too much. Even though it's only about 2-3 grand cheaper and you give up higher-grade leather (though the leather in the Lariat is pretty good), leather on the dash and doors, better seats with massage, and the charging pad, to me, it looks so much cleaner and more suitable for a truck. Personally, I really don't like chrome badges that say ""Limited" or "Platinum" in the interior, and I don't like quilted seats or even the leather stripes in the Platinum. I also like the Lariat grill, and the chrome bumpers and mirror caps. Chrome bumpers hold up really well and I feel like I can run over Hondas and Prius's more easily with them :). Your taste may be different.

But based on what you've said, if you like the interior in the Platinum, I actually think it goes well with Carbonized. I also think wheels are easy to change. If those are your only reservations, go for it.

After living with it for awhile, I'm happy with my choice.

Ford F-150 Input on Trim Decision, please? (Lariat v Platinum) 63521154929__5ACF0847-2F65-4B36-AD48-682F1A6A5D81 2

Ford F-150 Input on Trim Decision, please? (Lariat v Platinum) IMG_1694

Ford F-150 Input on Trim Decision, please? (Lariat v Platinum) IMG_1706

Last edited:

Sponsored

texag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Silverado
Can you get platinum without the chrome appearance package? I went King Ranch without the chrome appearance package.

Waxer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 4x4, Star White
I have the wireless charger in my 2021 Platinum and it is not all that. I love the wireless Carplay, but it seems that when I am using my phone wirelessly for music/podcast, I get a net zero charge when my phone is on the wireless charger. And the phone heats up pretty good, which is probably contributing to the lack of significant charge. I would get the truck you like (sounds like the Lariat Sport) and not worry about a small add like the wireless charger. But, that is based on my 1200 mile experience so far that the charger is not what I was hoping it would be.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Seat comfort was a major driver in our decision. We liked the Platinum over the Lariat, King Ranch and Limited.
When we make our RV trip to Yellowstone this summer, we are looking at 3 8-ish hour days in those seats each way.

Bravo36

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch FX 4
Occupation
Retired Fed LEO, Current Federal Contractor
Can you get platinum without the chrome appearance package? I went King Ranch without the chrome appearance package.
As did I. Love it!

Scoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A FX4

To me the Platinum is quite nice on the inside everywhere except the overt PLATINUM lettering everywhere. The Lariat doesn't have any lettering anywhere inside and I much prefer that. I actually wasn't sure I'd like the reddish sport leather but I totally gave in when I saw it in person.

Also, the wireless charger sucks. When I test drove the Platinum it must have stopped charging my iPhone 12 Pro Max 4-5 times in the 40 mins I was driving. Hell the actual USB ports kind of suck too. I find that for short trips I plug in a fast charger to the 20A outlet anyway just to get enough juice. My phone is a thirsty one.

It's almost a question of what style do you like more because from my calculations all trim levels seem to asymptote around the same price when you spec them similarly. I personally don't think the seats are that much more comfortable in the Platinum, and I don't understand the upper back pad things, but everyone's different.

It's really all subjective and they don't make it easy. I'd say just make sure you get ALL the options you really want because they're really difficult to add on after the fact (Damn you, tailgate step!)

Sponsored

CBGray

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 2.7L EB Screw 4x4 501A
Occupation
Software
I test drove a Platinum with the wireless charger and wasn't super impressed. I do have a slim protective cover on my iPhone 12 Pro, but it's never given me any trouble on any other wireless charger. On the Platinum, during my extended drive, it would stay charging for 3-4 minutes and then tell me it was having trouble with the positioning. Maybe it was a technique placement thing or it would have done better with no cover on the phone. At any rate, I ended up with a Lariat (for other reasons) and picked up a $50 wireless charger designed to fit the F-150 console off of Amazon. I like it a lot better as my phone is tucked away in a good location for me and its had no issues with my protective case. Lots of good choices in the different trims for sure, but I wouldn't let the wireless charger be a deciding factor - if it were me.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Gotta go +1 for the Lariat Sport interior. The Platty has some nicer interior features, but at the expense of a lot of exterior chrome and wheels that don’t look as good in my opinion.

xXChartmanXx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Explorer, 2021 VW ID.4, 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
CyberSecurity Engineer
Ford F-150 Input on Trim Decision, please? (Lariat v Platinum) 9502A907-3D46-4D97-AD8B-CA615A221646

Love my Lariat Sport. The interior is fantastic. They have wireless charger trays that drop right in the center console from Amazon for $57. But buy what you want and mod it until it’s everything you want!

lcrain

First Name
Lawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150, '95 911 c2, '97 miata, '98 M3/4/5
I bought a carbonized grey on Carmelo platinum and so far I love it. I originally thought I would get a lariat sport, but I am glad I went platinum. I will own this truck for a while and the extra few thousand for better leather, massage seats and more of the standard equipment was worth it for me.

Another option to avoid all the chrome is a two tone king ranch.

ryken

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Sport; '19 Honda Odyssey
I'd get the Lariat Sport, but that's a pretty biased opinion because I did get the Lariat Sport. There is plenty of room in that front compartment to put your own wireless charger. The leather is a bigger issue, but the Lariat was nice enough for me. The only thing I sort of wish I had is the massaging seats. I think the Lariat Sport styling, both interior and exterior, is way better than the Plat, which is what ultimately carried the day for me.
Sponsored