Sponsored

Hawsa

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 302A F-150
I'm about to go to town on my electrical system and I'm starting this thread for two reasons.
1. Because I think it's cool and want to show y'all
2. Because I'm doing it in a way that would allow others to buy my setup and install it in their own trucks.

I'm coming from a Tacoma that was fully decked out with all the goodies and have been missing that big time in the ol f-150. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of great solutions out there for *quality* aftermarket power management. Going into this project my goal was to make something that allows me to do the following:
  • Mount and support 2 Switch Pro SP9100s and their combined 16 outputs (I don't expect to use all 16, but will use more than 8, thus having two)
  • Upgrade and house a larger H8 AGM battery - my choice is the ODP-AGM49 H8 L5
  • While I'm designing a bracket, I want to re-mount my J&L oil catch can because I think the mount they give you in their kit sucks booty hole.
  • In supporting the SP9100s and various accessories. It will need to hold a bunch of BlueSea electrical components including 2 8x terminal blocks, a large grounding bus bar, and a small accessory lighting bus bar (all drl amber lights like on Diode Dynamics SS3 pods or Baja Designs Lp9s that I'll be running)
  • Of course it needs to fit in my engine bay (5.0 - I'm not sure and would need to confirm fitment on ecoboost models to make sure their extra piping doesn't get in the way)
  • Not require any drilling and or cutting of metal in the engine bay ei use factory mounting locations
  • Cable manage without a lot of effort

There are probably a few other things that I'll figure out along the way or maybe some of you have feedback on tangents this project could take.

I started by using polycam ($50/year photogrammetry based 3d scanner) to capture my engine bay in various states of batter being in and completely removed. This was crucial for spacing and capturing absolute positions for factory mounting to start with. This is an example of the scan. I know it looks 2D. Trust me it's not!
Ford F-150 Getting fancy with wiring! Aftermarket power management project Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 2.17.20 PM

From there I started from my known points in space and then moved a mockup of the battery into place and kept cranking using Fusion 360's sheet metal tools. At the end of the day, here is what I have mocked up. If you're familiar with the parts mentioned above you may recognize the components all laid out here:

This 3 part kit can easily be tweaked to have blank mounting plates that you could cut out for whatever accessories you'd like. The only thing set in stone is the maximum size of battery that you could use. The only downside here is that I'm a hobbyist, not a shop. The lower the volume, the more expensive this is. If we could order 10+ at a time the cost drops significantly. I have ordered my first one at full price to confirm fitment - Assuming all is well, I'd love to start a list going of people who would be interested in a group buy. I would expect around $150-175 for all 3 pieces laser cut + bending and shipping. If nobody is interested, still great - I'm solving this problem for myself anyway.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Do you anticipate modifying (FORScan?) the OE Battery Management System parameters to optimize charging for the ODP-AGM49 H8 L5?

I'm thinking that the determination of State Of Charge and estimation of remaining battery life in particular may differ significantly compared to the OE battery, and both of those factors enter into how the BMS>BCM>PCM manage the alternator output / charging strategy.

No doubt the new battery would work but IMO you may not realize the full potential of that investment without approriate charging strategy changes.

Nope, I've no idea if / how those tweaks may be done with FORScan, but love your approach and attitude for the physical / wiring mods.

Last edited:

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
EDIT: Nevermind, I missed the part about accessories.

Last edited:

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
While not something I'm interested in for my F150, this is very cool and nice work. I've done a lot of this for a kit car I'm building. Are you using sendcutsend for your laser cut/bent parts?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hawsa

Hawsa

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 302A F-150
Do you anticipate modifying (FORScan?) the OE Battery Management System parameters to optimize charging for the ODP-AGM49 H8 L5?

I'm thinking that the determination of State Of Charge and estimation of remaining battery life in particular may differ significantly compared to the OE battery, and both of those factors enter into how the BMS>BCM>PCM manage the alternator output / charging strategy.

No doubt the new battery would work but IMO you may not realize the full potential of that investment without approriate charging strategy changes.

Nope, I've no idea if / how those tweaks may be done with FORScan, but love your approach and attitude for the physical / wiring mods.
I did some modification for SOC in my tacoma - I was running two AGM deep cycle batteries with LVDs and isolators. Really all it needs is a small increase to the amount the alternator provides in its 'resting' state unless you plan on significantly draining battery while car is not running.

Crossing my fingers this is possible through FRDS, but haven't explored it fully if I'm being honest. H8 is not a whole lot bigger than H7 that my 5.0 comes with, but will need some slight modification to be a 'correct' install.

OP
OP
Hawsa

Hawsa

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 302A F-150
While not something I'm interested in for my F150, this is very cool and nice work. I've done a lot of this for a kit car I'm building. Are you using sendcutsend for your laser cut/bent parts?
All good. Any conversation around the project that could spark ideas on how to make it better is welcome. I am indeed using send cut send. Been good to me so far.

OP
OP
Hawsa

Hawsa

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 302A F-150
I’d be down to buy one, shipping to Canada might be prohibitive tho
I'm sure it wouldn't be horrible. Once I've confirmed fitment with everything I will see what it would take to ship to you. What part of Canada are you in?

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
I'm sure it wouldn't be horrible. Once I've confirmed fitment with everything I will see what it would take to ship to you. What part of Canada are you in?
Have you looked at the snow plow option for the 5.0 f150. I think all of this is available in some form from ford for a dual battery setup.
I believe the deisel engine models had dual batteries too. without much other than an alternator change.
Might be worth the research if you really want an over lander setup, that provides allot of elec juice while shut off. Or using a solar panel to charge it in a low fuel situation.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hawsa

Hawsa

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 302A F-150
Wow long time no update here guys!

Sorry about that!

I ended up having some issues with the actual production of it over at SCS. Finally have a version of it installed. I am positive that it is overkill for 99% of you guys, so I will probably be making a version that:

1. Integrates with factor battery tray
2. Has a blank accessory panel for maximum flexibility
3. Make a version specifically to ramp up the power of the upfitter switches (I think ford did a crap job with how those are implemented and their current draw limits)

Next post will be some pictures from my phone.

OP
OP
Hawsa

Hawsa

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 302A F-150
Photo dump

Ford F-150 Getting fancy with wiring! Aftermarket power management project AB7765DB-4055-4BA1-B31E-37D03BC69D1D

Ford F-150 Getting fancy with wiring! Aftermarket power management project F62DD343-F8D4-49CA-B550-A5CFD1F5C857

Ford F-150 Getting fancy with wiring! Aftermarket power management project ECCFE5B7-02C0-4F68-B3F9-8D6614AC5DC1

Ford F-150 Getting fancy with wiring! Aftermarket power management project B4E552DC-ADD6-49BE-8C46-3FAAF1192CA4

Ford F-150 Getting fancy with wiring! Aftermarket power management project 67846AA1-458B-452E-B36B-99814FDEEE38

Los150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 3.5L EB Platinum w/BAP
Occupation
Info Tech
Any updates on this?
Sponsored