Sponsored

Front Windshield Tint

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I didn't realize UV testing was so easily done. I'll probably pick up a test card just for curiosity sake.
Ford F-150 Front Windshield Tint 84D8DC2A-708B-4BE2-9EFA-E200CE89F345

Just got mine today, I’m surprised how much UV is still reflected in what appears to be full shade. Even though I really shouldn’t be.

It’s dusty enough and near sea level, so that even in full sun it doesn’t reach the ‘Extreme’ end of the scale.

Read ur window the factory tint is marked. My 22 XLT is tinted and listed on the soundsheild windshield and side windows.
Ford F-150 Front Windshield Tint 46E7BACD-FA54-419C-B77D-D062731B99A3

I had no idea that my windows were tinted, apparently both side windows and the windshield is 70% which frankly may as well be 0% in the AZ sun.

Appreciate it, Russ. No tint is the only thing legal in MN, thankfully I've got a "doctor's note" on that one. :)

I stopped into the tint shop and they showed me a few vehicles with varying specs of tint, and I was settling in on 70% for the windshield as well. You can hardly tell it is there, and it blocks UV.
My truck is 100% as it left KC; I wrote in thick Sharpie across the order slip “NO DEALER ADD-ONS,” since they sell a BS ‘Desert Protection Package’ at a huge markup on every one of their stock cars and trucks. Naturally tint is included in that package, which is relatively dark but still lighter than the tint most people that I know get installed; which is the super dark limo tint.

Both my windshield and side windows of my truck are equipped with 70% from the factory and while AZ doesn’t allow any tint on windshields below the rear view mirror, most states have an exemption for factory equipment. NHTSA allows 70%, so it would be reasonable to believe that every F-150 is leaving the factory that way.

According to this even without a prescription 50% is legal in MN:

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/169.71

Subdivision 4a article 1 mentions the exemption of factory equipped glass when it meets the federal requirements.

It also states that the prescription must have an expiration date of no more than two years. Which is BS if it’s a condition that will never change. What if you are albino, you need to get a new doctor’s note every two years just to be kosher with your tinted windows?

Anyway, if you did decide to go with 70% and the factory windows are already 70%, I think that’s the same as .49% which should be close enough to 50% at least for the side windows to be legal for everyone. It’s probably still pretty light.

Ford F-150 Front Windshield Tint 0DA0CD30-219C-48B7-AFBC-5909A2CB5494

Ford F-150 Front Windshield Tint ECC8D644-ACEE-4625-A38D-A47008EC74FD

This is my truck’s readings for the windshield and side windows and no distinguishable change in the test card is noticed even after a minute or two. This thread saved me a few bucks because I was going to get clear tint for the side windows to protect against UV. I still might get some security film even though it’s already laminated side window glass since there’s lots of smash and grabs going on in my city. That’s another topic though.

Good luck!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
DarkSkyForever

DarkSkyForever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT, 2022 F150 701A (Ordered)
Occupation
Software Engineer
According to this even without a prescription 50% is legal in MN:
That's true for rear passenger and rear windows only. Front side windows and windshields aren't supposed to have any tint at all.

It also states that the prescription must have an expiration date of no more than two years. Which is BS if it’s a condition that will never change. What if you are albino, you need to get a new doctor’s note every two years just to be kosher with your tinted windows?
That's true, and while an inconvenience, I have to see my doctor every 6 months for the next five years, and then once a year for the rest of my life. She said I can call in and get an Rx over the phone now that its in my medical history, from any doctor. Shouldn't be too big of a deal, and my neighbor (local cop) said they flag people in their system that have those scripts so they're not pulled over all the time for it once they're in there. No way to preemptively get added, or know if that database is shared with the highway patrol, but good info regardless.

This is my truck’s readings for the windshield and side windows and no distinguishable change in the test card is noticed even after a minute or two. This thread saved me a few bucks because I was going to get clear tint for the side windows to protect against UV.
Good to know. My wife's jeep and my Mustang both failed the front windshield test. I'll wait on getting my truck tinted until I can test it. That'd save 500ish dollars.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's true for rear passenger and rear windows only. Front side windows and windshields aren't supposed to have any tint at all.
I had just skimmed the statute, so I reread it. While your information may have been true at some point, the current statute reads ‘any side window,’ it’s also interesting to know that it specifies only vehicles required to be registered in Minnesota, so people passing through on the highway aren’t technically covered by the statute at all.

There’s been some grassroots activism going on regarding tint laws as well as things like ‘gravity knives’ for various reasons and it’s resulted in changes and challenges to state laws. I think nunchucks were recently made legal in NYC by a judicial ruling!

Ford F-150 Front Windshield Tint EAFAAD02-38C1-49F0-A86A-19E54A6B5083
Ford F-150 Front Windshield Tint 62C71B82-5F78-4A18-9A2D-4B031EEE29E7

I am also a little skeptical of both the Jeep and Mustang front windshields failing to block any UV. I would try to make a baffle to make sure that light contamination from the side windows aren’t causing it. As well as try again with one of the calibrated cards. It’s possible that the bracelet is also reacting to a wavelength that is outside of the UV spectrum.

OP
OP
DarkSkyForever

DarkSkyForever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
While your information may have been true at some point, the current statute reads ‘any side window,’
Good to know, it does look like they were updated in the last year or five. :)

I would try to make a baffle to make sure that light contamination from the side windows aren’t causing it. As well as try again with one of the calibrated cards. It’s possible that the bracelet is also reacting to a wavelength that is outside of the UV spectrum.
I had a baffle made out of card stock that sat flush up against the windshield. I'm assuming your second assumption might be true, and the bracelet they gave me is more sensitive to light outside of the UV range. I ordered a card so I can test again when I get it.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had the opportunity to test a 2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL and 2021 Toyota 4Runner Limited, neither had any markings on their windshield indicating tint, the Honda had zero impact on the test card while the Toyota indicated moderate UV intensity on the test card while in direct sunlight.

Interestingly, the Honda is equipped with a very very light factory tint in the front passenger seat side windows and darker in the rear passenger seat windows and the Toyota has dealership installed super dark tint everywhere other than the windshield.

So as with the aircraft study I linked to earlier, it’s quite possible that the blanket statement of laminated windshields blocking UV is incorrect and the industry as well as public needs to take notice and not listen to anymore slow news day fluff pieces without due diligence.

While limiting UV is better than nothing, it’s cumulative and here in the Southwest, it’s not unusual to drive directly into the sunlight for 3-4 hours in a single day and I can’t even remember the last time that it rained or was cloudy.

Sponsored

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
For those of y’all in Texas with windshield tint, where do you put the registration sticker?

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Shiiiii I never put that together. Even if the plastic blocks all UV by it's nature (polycarbonate), it has to have UV blocking applied otherwise it would still degrade on a long timeline and you'd have a splotchy windshield develop. So no matter what, UV blocking.
Unless your tint is on the outside of the windscreen, the UV will hit the windscreen before it hits the tint.

Sponsored

Ryan74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Carbonized Gray 4x4
Those who got their windshield tinted, do you notice a rainbow effect if you're wearing polarized sunglasses and looking through the windshield?

OP
OP
DarkSkyForever

DarkSkyForever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Those who got their windshield tinted, do you notice a rainbow effect if you're wearing polarized sunglasses and looking through the windshield?
I have not.

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
I do. It's not crazy but definitely noticable. It doesn't bother me. Seems like at certain times the road will look different, not really sure how to explain it. Maybe a good way to explain it is the sections where tires meet the road are extra glossy at times. I have 70% Xpel XR ceramic tint on the windshield.

Last edited:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I have not.
What'd you end up going with? I tint every vehicle windshield to 50% due to my eyes being very light sensitive. It makes a big difference in regards to heat during the summer and helps to reduce, but not eliminate, oncoming traffic headlight dazzle. As for visibility at night, it's imperceptible. Front side windows should be no less than 35% which is perfect for those with aged / less than optimal eyes. Darker than 20% on front windows for a vehicle operated on roads at night is beyond moronic. Those prices you quoted are insanely expensive. Good old llumar window film is perfect. "ceramic" tint is a great money maker for those who make it, huge profits, no end user benefit however -- It's on-par with horsepower-adding stickers. "Ceramic infused" window tint to apply to your ceramic windows, major LOL. Large vehicle windshield plus 2 front windows I had done for $180. Also just had a smaller vehicles 4 door windows plus rear window done for $220. Windshields are typically +$80.

OP
OP
DarkSkyForever

DarkSkyForever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
What'd you end up going with? I tint every vehicle windshield to 50% due to my eyes being very light sensitive. It makes a big difference in regards to heat during the summer and helps to reduce, but not eliminate, oncoming traffic headlight dazzle. As for visibility at night, it's imperceptible. Front side windows should be no less than 35% which is perfect for those with aged / less than optimal eyes. Darker than 20% on front windows for a vehicle operated on roads at night is beyond moronic. Those prices you quoted are insanely expensive. Good old llumar window film is perfect. "ceramic" tint is a great money maker for those who make it, huge profits, no end user benefit however -- It's on-par with horsepower-adding stickers. "Ceramic infused" window tint to apply to your ceramic windows, major LOL. Large vehicle windshield plus 2 front windows I had done for $180. Also just had a smaller vehicles 4 door windows plus rear window done for $220. Windshields are typically +$80.
I went 70% on the front, 20% on sides, rear and roof (matching factory tint to the front windows).
Sponsored