Sponsored

Ford tailgate step vs aftermarket bumper step?

BuffaloBill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
Does anyone have experience with the tailgate step compared to a folding bumper step like this one below? I'm in the process of putting together my list of options, and since I've never had a truck, I don't have experience. I would mostly need to access the bed when transporting bikes and for camping. Nothing to tow (yet). I'm assuming the tailgate step would not be usable with a trailer.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/75308-15-15-20-f150-bestop-rear-trekstep-bumper-step.html

Ford F-150 Ford tailgate step vs aftermarket bumper step? Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 2.04.00 PM
Sponsored

TNKIRK

First Name
TERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FORD F150 LARIAT SUPERCAB
Occupation
R V SALES
Does anyone have experience with the tailgate step compared to a folding bumper step like this one below? I'm in the process of putting together my list of options, and since I've never had a truck, I don't have experience. I would mostly need to access the bed when transporting bikes and for camping. Nothing to tow (yet). I'm assuming the tailgate step would not be usable with a trailer.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/75308-15-15-20-f150-bestop-rear-trekstep-bumper-step.html

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 2.04.00 PM.png
I have owned a 2013 Ford F150 from new......They are awesome.........I highly recommend the factory step

jrog540

First Name
rog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Explorer, 1962 Impala 409 SS, 1965 Pontiac GTO Conv.
Occupation
Retired
I fully agree with Terry recommending the factory step. I've had one on my 2012 F-150 and it is just what is needed to get in and out of truck bed. The factory step includes a folding handle along with the step so you can pull yourself up into bed and also the handle is something to grab on to steady yourself on. As an 80 year old, I need all the steading I can get.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I LOVE the factory step, but basically only use it for sitting on the tailgate (as a footrest) since I have a shell.

You mention towing and that is a really great point... I cannot even drop the tailgate all the way when my trailer is attached, as the tongue jack is in the way, let alone use the step. I had to physically LIFT my huge labradors into the truck bed with the tailgate partially open and it sucks! (but I digress...)

So if towing is a key time you would need to access the bed, you would need a step like the one pictured so you can climb onto the bumper and in. Hadn't even considered that issue myself!

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
I have had both. My 2017 Lariat had an Amp Reasearch bumper mounded step. It worked great, no issues getting in and out of bed. My 2021 has a built in step. It is very nice and really easy access t the bed. They both work great.

Sponsored

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 2.04.00 PM.png
When the tailgate is down, it will block this bump step.

john.noonan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150, VW GTI
Occupation
IT Project Manager
I would not trade the factory step on my 2019 F150 for any other solution.

CindyC-IL

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Occupation
Business Systems Analyst
is it possible to get the factory step added after delivery?

sysop

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 Lariat 145 - 2022 F150 Lariat 157
Occupation
worker bee
To answer OP, no, the factory step cannot be used with a trailer attached. If the trailer doesn't have a jack that's in the way of the tailgate coming down, use the trailer frame as a step. If the trailer will not allow the tailgate to drop, then the aftermarket step mounted out on the corner would be the only option.

Also, I agree with everyone above, the tailgate step is better than anything you can add.

To CindyC-IL: No, it is a factory option. If your truck doesn't come with it, you must change the entire tailgate to get it as the structure inside the tailgate is entirely different.

Sponsored

CindyC-IL

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Occupation
Business Systems Analyst
To answer OP, no, the factory step cannot be used with a trailer attached. If the trailer doesn't have a jack that's in the way of the tailgate coming down, use the trailer frame as a step. If the trailer will not allow the tailgate to drop, then the aftermarket step mounted out on the corner would be the only option.

Also, I agree with everyone above, the tailgate step is better than anything you can add.

To CindyC-IL: No, it is a factory option. If your truck doesn't come with it, you must change the entire tailgate to get it as the structure inside the tailgate is entirely different.
Thank you sysop for the response.
Is there recommendations as to which after market step is recommended.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB

ocwill1

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost 502A, 2021 Lexus RX350(wifey)
Occupation
Computer System Engineer
I have had both on my trucks. Tailgate step is nice, get it when you buy. You can add the bumper step for when you cannot/do not want to put down tailgate, get get into bed with the corner step very easily.

KEVINL

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Stinger
Something to keep in mind, you cannot add the after market bumper step when you have dual exhausts.

Found this out the hard way today after trying to install a 2023 Trekstep rear mount step.

Tinman1227

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 , 5.0L / Crew, Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Real Estate Developer/ Investor / Rehaber
Yes - AMP brand all the way

Ford F-150 Ford tailgate step vs aftermarket bumper step? IMG_0187

Ford F-150 Ford tailgate step vs aftermarket bumper step? IMG_0186