Sponsored

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Finished my Tremor skid plate install back in Sept as part of my front and rear Tremor clone conversion on my '21 Rapid Red F-150 crew 5.0 XLT 302A SPORT/FX4.
Up front...
Installed the Ford Performance Skid plate kit from local dealer (2 week delivery plus 20% discount) and Stage 3 Motorsport 2.3" Level Kit
  • Used Noah's (Stage3) method for installing the leveling kit.... Much faster and simpler.
  • Followed the Ford's instructions to the "T" as I had to remove the bumper to repaint the front bumper from rock chips and prior owner's driving techniques.
  • Painted black trim piece from skid kit to match with custom PPG color (Iconic not any closer than rattle can from Walmart)
  • Painted the FX4 mid skid plate to match at the same time
  • Had the front end aligned... camber and caster were fine just a little toe adj and steering wheel centering needed because of the lift.
  • Front to rear rake is now 5/8" to 3/4" depending on fuel load (36 gal tank)
  • Adjusted and aligned the fog lite to get them outta dirt from factory (now set one turn from top and even L to R).
  • Lost the front license plate (sir.... umm.... it fell off, parts on back order)
Out back...
Installed the factory dual exhaust setup from the Tremor/BAP package, lost the "wing dings" from the front of the rear wheels and painted the rear end (housing, center section and shocks). All ford factory parts from the Ford Parts catalog or Ford Performance.
  • Ordered factory exhaust by the piece (bumper ends, muffler, L and R tailpipes, misc brackets and bolts). Got the parts numbers laying my back under Tremor and 5.0 BAP with camera and tape measure in the dealer's lot. It appears Ford Performance may have released new kits for rear bumper exit.
  • Powder coated the exhaust tips. The factory coating wipes off. Same as the Raptor tips do.
  • Re-positioned the wiring and hoses from the frame to the rear axle. Carefully bent and formed the hard lines and relocated the bracket forward of the axle. On the factory installed dual exhaust these items come down the spine of the truck. Too much work to replicate. As a result, I won't need the recall for the rear E-brake lockup due to wire chaffing.
  • Added heat shielding to the new tail pipes fabricated from the shields on the factory single exhaust
  • Assembled the rear bumper with exhaust cutouts and new location for the rear sensors. Had the bumper painted along with the front bumper.
  • Left the spare tire in the shop... her butt looks better w/o it hanging down.
  • The "wing dings" were replaced with '21+ F-150 Rocker Panel Aero Delete kit M-9929-F15.
Results...
  • When I first fired it up it thru a few code and warning lights as it missed the rear sensors and camera when I drove in and out of the shop with these parts disconnected. But after few minutes and a power cycle everything came back just fine. All the camera modes and BLIS are happy and working as they were prior to the changes.
  • Looks like it should have from the factory.
  • Sounds amazing not loud at all. Just a nice rumble at idle and a growl when you work it... AND NO DRONE when it decides it needs to run with 4 cylinders.
  • As for mileage... I got 16 MPG when I drove it home from dealer for 200 miles in a 30 MPH head wind. The next week I got almost 24 MPH on the highway for 100 miles. Then I just drove it like it was meant to be driven and I get 18 MPH around town and 22 plus on the highway at posted plus 10 MPH. After the changes, hard to say.... any hills, headwind or stop n' go and the mileage drops. Still logging 22 plus on the highway at posted plus 10MPH. Never have reproduced the one time almost 24 MPG. I believe the skid provides better aero than just removing the silly factory spoiler which exposes the front suspension to wind. The biggest problem is my foot as I can not get enough of the V8 sound and RPM's this motor turns. I have seen less than than 1 MPG pulling my RV at 6200 RPM in the acceleration lane... But damn that's fun.
Some pic's of the results...

20230902_154659.jpg
20230902_154801.jpg
20230902_154815.jpg
20230902_154837.jpg
Dang, looks amazing! What color did you paint the top trim piece? How much did it run you?
Sponsored

Scott Maxson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 GT500 '66 Mustang
It was custom color matched using the PPG color deck with tint adjustment. The cost for painting was buried in with parts order and other painting (front and rear bumper).

Bduchateau

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 xlt
looks good, did you make changes so the pcm doesn’t throw the active air dam codes or just leave it since it doesn’t throw an engine light?
I have the motors and active air dam removed. No codes. My install is soon I hope.

Bduchateau

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 xlt
Hopefully Ford Performance will release a Tremor skid plate kit for 2021 trucks made before June 2021. Would buy it if Ford makes it.

Anyone install this kit on a 2021 Job 1 F-150?
I'm about to. Mine 21 has a March date, but the hole spacing on the frame meets the skid requirements. If you have the shorter hole sizing maybe just make your own holes...
Anyone do any mileage tests pre/post removing the air dam?
Without the active air dam, thanks to my daughter, my mileage dropped 1-2 mpg. Note the tennis also stated dropping too, so this could also contribute

Sponsored

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150, 2023 Audi Etron Quattro
Occupation
Doer of stuff and things.
Has anyone installed this Tremor front skid plate kit with RCI skids? I have full RCI skids on my truck and am curious if this tremor skid would play nicely with the 2nd engine skid plate in the RCI package. In theory I could ditch the front most RCI engine skid and replace with this one, assuming this plate lines up with the same holes...

Radical1911

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 STX 5.0
Looks good. Did you also install dead head plugs for the air dam? I found them online and it was less than $15 for them. Also anyone with a 5.0 will not have to remove the grille and upper bumper cover
Any validation on this? Just got my kit in the mail. Will be installing on a 23 STX 4x4. Would be great if I did not have to remove the grill and upper bumper cover.

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
Any validation on this? Just got my kit in the mail. Will be installing on a 23 STX 4x4. Would be great if I did not have to remove the grill and upper bumper cover.
If I had to do it again I am almost sure I could have done it without removing the grille, however I'm not sure I could have done it without removing the bumper.

Radical1911

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 STX 5.0
If I had to do it again I am almost sure I could have done it without removing the grille, however I'm not sure I could have done it without removing the bumper.
I am installing Alpha Rex headlights at the same time so may as well remove it all at once

Sponsored

Byrdman

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0
I have a 2021 5.0 and installed the kit without removing the bumper, grille, or upper bumper cover.

It's a major PITA to get a few of the numerous 6mm bolts that hold the lower bumper valance on but it is possible. On each side I did destroy one bolt because I knew it was never going back on, cut the head off with a Dremel.

Additionally, I coated my skid plate and upper transition panel with bed liner. I like the black look much better, especially on a silver truck.

Ford F-150 Ford Performance Tremor Skid Plate Kit install... Done! 20231228_135503

Ford F-150 Ford Performance Tremor Skid Plate Kit install... Done! 20231228_135448

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
I have a 2021 5.0 and installed the kit without removing the bumper, grille, or upper bumper cover.

It's a major PITA to get a few of the numerous 6mm bolts that hold the lower bumper valance on but it is possible. On each side I did destroy one bolt because I knew it was never going back on, cut the head off with a Dremel.

Additionally, I coated my skid plate and upper transition panel with bed liner. I like the black look much better, especially on a silver truck.

20231228_135503.jpg

20231228_135448.jpg
I'm going off of memory but I can only imagine how much cussing I would've done trying to get to all of those nuts if I wouldn't have removed the bumper. On top if that, the metal brackets/housings on each side for the adaptive cruise control radar were blocking a couple of those nuts and would have been next to impossible, at least for me, to remove otherwise. I had already removed the bumper before I realized I needed to remove the brackets/housings to get to the nuts, but I'm glad I did.

Looking back at the pictures I attached, it looks like I could have gotten access to the nuts by removing the fog lights as well or perhaps by not removing anything if I got creative. I had blinders on when I was doing this and it's obvious there are more than one way to do get it done.

Ford F-150 Ford Performance Tremor Skid Plate Kit install... Done! IMG_3203

Ford F-150 Ford Performance Tremor Skid Plate Kit install... Done! IMG_3206

Ford F-150 Ford Performance Tremor Skid Plate Kit install... Done! IMG_3207

Byrdman

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0
I'm going off of memory but I can only imagine how much cussing I would've done trying to get to all of those nuts if I wouldn't have removed the bumper. On top if that, the metal brackets/housings on each side for the adaptive cruise control radar were blocking a couple of those nuts and would have been next to impossible, at least for me, to remove otherwise. I had already removed the bumper before I realized I needed to remove the brackets/housings to get to the nuts, but I'm glad I did.

Looking back at the pictures I attached, it looks like I could have gotten access to the nuts by removing the fog lights as well or perhaps by not removing anything if I got creative. I had blinders on when I was doing this and it's obvious there are more than one way to do get it done.

IMG_3203.jpg

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg
Oh trust me, my kids and the dog learned all kinds of new words during my install.

Removing the bumper is the best path but it is possible to do without....

Fox146

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
An F150 Rattler. That’s got to be one of the rarest trucks out there? I’ve never seen one in the wild although maybe it was a US only trim? Either way looks good

Magician

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
I just finished up this install on my 22 XLT and had to remove grill, bumper and fog lights. Getting to bumper bolts is way easier with the grill off.
Sponsored