Feedback on towing 32' trailer

people-call-me-chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat SCrew 4x4 short bed
Hi folks - I'd be interested in your experienced thoughts/feedback on towing a 31' 9" travel trailer with my 2021 Lariat. I'm mostly interested in thoughts on the length (31'9") but also the weight 6880 dry/8225 gross.

I'm experienced in towing a 28' air stream with a propride AS hitch on a 2018 F-150 previously, and I felt like anything longer behind an F150 with the short wheel base, might be a bit too much - from a sway/torque perspective.

My current 2021 Lariat short-bed has max tow @ 14k lbs, 1541 payload.

New *potential* trailer is 31' 9" length, 830 tongue weight, 6,880 dry weight/8,225 gross weight.

The 28' air stream I towed with my 2018 F-150 was @ 5600 dry weight (7500 GVWR), 899 tongue weight and 27'11" and I felt like that was fine.

Again - prefer feedback from folks who may have towed in this length and weight range. Not looking for a religious discussion or opinion :)

Thanks.
Sponsored

SmokedHybridFX4

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 SQ Lariat PB FX4, 2022 VW Tiguan R-Line
Occupation
Cloud Customer Engineer
No religion or opinion here, just my experience.

With my old truck (2011 F150 FX4 Ecoboost x/Max Tow), I towed my 2014 Jayco 28BHBE (7041 lbs dry weight, 34' overall length) without issues across Eastern Canada and northern NY state, on highways and 2 lane roads. Very few white knuckle moments here and there over 8 years of pulling. Standard 'Husky' style chain weight distribution hitch and friction bars for anti-sway.

Switched trucks last year (2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost FX4 6.5' box) and then hitches (Husky Centerline TS w/800-1200 bars) with the Jayco, and did another 3000+ kms towing, and the longer wheelbase PB did even better. The hitch definitely was a game changer though, a lot less sway and porpoise motions.

We have recently made a lateral (in size class) upgrade to a 2023 Cougar 30BHS (7200 lbs on the door, 35' long), and so far so good. Only been out on one trip with it so far, and the 105 km/h (65 mph) I did on the highway was solid and planted. No buffeting from passing trucks or other big machines. I believe that the smooth sides and fiberglass front cap on the Cougar makes it ever so slightly more aerodynamic than the old corrugated side, flat fronted Jayco, so I got better fuel mileage and easier accelerating/merging on this past trip.

One thing to note, is that I HATED pulling with the factory Goodyear tires that came on my truck (275-65-18 Wrangler Territory AT). I switched out to my 20" wheels and BFG K02s LT rated (load range D) tires from my old truck, and that was a huge difference.

In my opinion (ok, here's the opinion), with the Propride hitch and your truck, unless the frontal area and height are drastically different between the Airstream and the new potential trailer, I don't think you'd notice much of a difference.

OP
OP
people-call-me-chris

people-call-me-chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat SCrew 4x4 short bed
thanks smoked - agree on the KO2's... i had those on my 2018 truck and I would love to swap my stupid Hankook's to those if we start towing. Great feedback thank you.

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
I have over 3500 miles pulling my 31 foot, 6800 dry weight camper with my 22 Lariat, 6.5 bed with Max tow. O issues outside of poor fuel economy when im Orth of 55 mph. I have a Equilizer hitch, which does a great job with sway.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Just from a tow-vehicle wheelbase / length vs trailer length perspective ....

My long-time Airstreaming parents and their peers accumulated millions of happy miles with 31ft and longer trailers behind classic GM Suburbans. Those Suburbans had a 130"WB (15" less than your truck) with rear-axle-to-hitch distance and curb weight and GVWR similar to yours. Everyone used a traditional WDH common to the era. I enjoyed driving their rig on a few long trips myself back in the day, dealing with winds and weather of all sorts, everything handled wonderfully, it was not a stressful rig to drive.

Your modern F150 has more power, better brakes, and a more tow-friendly tranny than those old Suburbans. Of course, all of the usual load, weight, and weight distribution factors come into play; but IMO your truck's wheelbase / overall length, in and of itself, is not a limiting factor for trailering enjoyment with a trailer of the length you mention.

Last edited:

Sponsored

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Been towing a 32ft 6200 dry for last 2yrs. Using Equal-i-zer wd and haven't had any issues. Saying that though, I'm in Ontario and I haven't hit any steep inclines or heavy winds. Managed 14 camping trips last year.

smarty39

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Velocity Blue Lariat Sport
I have towed our Premier 31BHPR (32ft - 6600lbs dry) across all of western Canada usually loaded up to ~7500lbs. I've gone everywhere from flat prairie to the steepest of BC mountain passes and the truck has performed amazingly. Yes, the mileage sucks when you get a head wind or a lot of incline (lowest trip average has been 7MPG lol) but that was to be expected. There is zero shortage on power and with a good WD hitch (I have an Equal-i-zer 10k) you won't see much for sway...driving sensibly at least ;)
Sponsored