First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
I have several issues towing my boat or a tandem utility trailer.

1) Left trailer turn/brake light failure constantly. If you turn on the left turn signal, flashes quickly a couple of time and starts working normally. Turn off left turn signal and fault comes back.

2) Ford 7 pin to 4 pin adapter, 4 pin side is to tight to plug in 4 pin trailer lights. Ended up buying one at True Value hardware. The Hopkins brand 7 pin to 4 pin adapter does not fit into the 7 pin socket on the truck. Apparently Ford never tested the adapter.

3) Locked truck with the trailer attached. On my return to the truck, as I approached, the alarm goes off. This has happened multiple times.

4) Trailer light check from Ford Pass turns on tail lights on truck, but the tail lights on the trailer do not come on. If you manually turn on the tail lights, the tail lights on the trailer work. Something wrong with the light check.
Ford F-150 Trailer towing issues AFEDE959-7D2A-4FB8-BD77-78DA73BC132D

Nice to have - it would be great if the power tailgate would automatically disable when a trailer is hooked up to help eliminate opening the tailgate into a trailer Jack when the trailer is attached to the truck
Sponsored

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
Posted a video of the same issue with the turn signal (mine is on the right signal) with my Airstream connected. I am going to try adding a resistor to my turn signal. Have read that the LED's don't draw enough load and the computer thinks the bulbs are out. Pretty common issue to folks that update their vehicle lights from regular to LED (they get the hyper flash and some cars provide a warning).

I also ordered a bypass (see link below) based on a recommendation from the trailer guy at my RV dealer. He send if all my electronics are working on the AS...which they are and you are getting the error it's probably this issue. Said this happens all the time to European cars that are used to tow trailers with LED lights.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-20142.html

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Nice to have - it would be great if the power tailgate would automatically disable when a trailer is hooked up to help eliminate opening the tailgate into a trailer Jack when the trailer is attached to the truck
I wondered about this!! I have a power tailgate, and based on my previous XLT, the tailgate will hit my trailer tongue jack. I always put a foam rug over the jack and gently let my tailgate rest against it at an angle, then load or unload my bed things.

With new truck, I wasn't sure if the tailgate would detect an obstacle and close again? Do we have to go into the Sync options and turn off power tailgate temporarily or will it let us rest it halfway open?

OP
OP
Reeltime

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
I wondered about this!! I have a power tailgate, and based on my previous XLT, the tailgate will hit my trailer tongue jack. I always put a foam rug over the jack and gently let my tailgate rest against it at an angle, then load or unload my bed things.

With new truck, I wasn't sure if the tailgate would detect an obstacle and close again? Do we have to go into the Sync options and turn off power tailgate temporarily or will it let us rest it halfway open?
Turning off the power tailgate option is the only way I know to keep from accidentally opening your tailgate into the trailer jack.

OP
OP
Reeltime

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
Posted a video of the same issue with the turn signal (mine is on the right signal) with my Airstream connected. I am going to try adding a resistor to my turn signal. Have read that the LED's don't draw enough load and the computer thinks the bulbs are out. Pretty common issue to folks that update their vehicle lights from regular to LED (they get the hyper flash and some cars provide a warning).

I also ordered a bypass (see link below) based on a recommendation from the trailer guy at my RV dealer. He send if all my electronics are working on the AS...which they are and you are getting the error it's probably this issue. Said this happens all the time to European cars that are used to tow trailers with LED lights.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-20142.html
Thanks for the link. LED trailer lights are not new technology and everything on my truck are LED's. I understand the issue and the link above and glad it will work for you, however, I am stilling to hold FORD accountable. If the issue is LED Bulbs, wouldn't both sides of the trailer send the warning? Yours is right side, mine is left side.

Does this disable the theft detection feature if the trailer lights are unplugged from the adapter?

Also, I would have to have 2 long adapters, the one above in the link and also a 7 pin/4 pin adapter. I am not sure this is a workable solution.

Maybe these trucks are just getting too smart.

Sponsored

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
Thanks for the link. LED trailer lights are not new technology and everything on my truck are LED's. I understand the issue and the link above and glad it will work for you, however, I am stilling to hold FORD accountable. If the issue is LED Bulbs, wouldn't both sides of the trailer send the warning? Yours is right side, mine is left side.

Does this disable the theft detection feature if the trailer lights are unplugged from the adapter?

Also, I would have to have 2 long adapters, the one above in the link and also a 7 pin/4 pin adapter. I am not sure this is a workable solution.

Maybe these trucks are just getting too smart.
Just curious...Do your trailers have LED turn signals, brake lights, etc.?

I'm betting if I add the resistor to the right the left one will give the error next. The fact that the Airstream lights and turn signals all work fine tells me Ford could go the extra mile and program an option that lets owners permanently turn off that error for cases like this.

I can see Ford saying it's not them it's the trailer in my case...or say we can't plan for every type of trailer's electrical configuration. My sales guys and the service person I dealt with gave me standard answers (check the ground on your trailer connection, clean your connector, etc.). Which it could have been but not in my case...so you can only go so far with the dealership... the workaround is doable on my end. I'll report back to see if it solves my issue.

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
Has anyone else experienced the alarm going off when the truck is locked with the trailer still attached?

This is a dealbreaker for me if it happens to everyone. I tie my horses to the trailer and lock my truck, then work out of the trailer. If the alarm goes off it will scare the crap out of all the horses around it, which could lead to injuries at a show.

OP
OP
Reeltime

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
Just curious...Do your trailers have LED turn signals, brake lights, etc.?

I'm betting if I add the resistor to the right the left one will give the error next. The fact that the Airstream lights and turn signals all work fine tells me Ford could go the extra mile and program an option that lets owners permanently turn off that error for cases like this.

I can see Ford saying it's not them it's the trailer in my case...or say we can't plan for every type of trailer's electrical configuration. My sales guys and the service person I dealt with gave me standard answers (check the ground on your trailer connection, clean your connector, etc.). Which it could have been but not in my case...so you can only go so far with the dealership... the workaround is doable on my end. I'll report back to see if it solves my issue.
Both trailers I have tried have LED tail lights as most new trailers do. That is what puzzles me about Ford not being able to get this right.

OP
OP
Reeltime

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
Has anyone else experienced the alarm going off when the truck is locked with the trailer still attached?

This is a dealbreaker for me if it happens to everyone. I tie my horses to the trailer and lock my truck, then work out of the trailer. If the alarm goes off it will scare the crap out of all the horses around it, which could lead to injuries at a show.
Yes I have. I have walked up to the truck and the alarm has gone off with a trailer attached. It does not happen every time, but I suspect it is related to the trailer theft feature and the Greeting feature. I have not tried turning off the Greeting function to see if that solves the issue.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Yes I have. I have walked up to the truck and the alarm has gone off with a trailer attached. It does not happen every time, but I suspect it is related to the trailer theft feature and the Greeting feature. I have not tried turning off the Greeting function to see if that solves the issue.
By "greeting" feature do you mean the lighting and running boards? I really wish I had been locking my truck while I had it for several hours in my culdesac. Would have gladly tested for this and reported back. From my understanding, it should ONLY be tied to the unplugging of the 7pin and NOT anything else beyond standard truck alarm. Now, keep in mind that we also have motion sensors and THAT has been an issue with false alarms as well. I put my setting to ask every time I turn the truck off and I select "NO" to activating motion sensors.

This is the trailer theft feature, where it only seems to indicate a disconnect event:

OP
OP
Reeltime

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
By "greeting" feature do you mean the lighting and running boards? I really wish I had been locking my truck while I had it for several hours in my culdesac. Would have gladly tested for this and reported back. From my understanding, it should ONLY be tied to the unplugging of the 7pin and NOT anything else beyond standard truck alarm. Now, keep in mind that we also have motion sensors and THAT has been an issue with false alarms as well. I put my setting to ask every time I turn the truck off and I select "NO" to activating motion sensors.

This is the trailer theft feature, where it only seems to indicate a disconnect event:
Yes. Every time this has happened to me the truck was locked. When I approached the truck the alarm went off. I don't have the power running boards, only the lights come on. It appears when the truck sensed the key fob and a trailer is attached, the alarm goes off. Not sure it is is every time, I guess I need to do some testing. UGH!

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Yes. Every time this has happened to me the truck was locked. When I approached the truck the alarm went off. I don't have the power running boards, only the lights come on. It appears when the truck sensed the key fob and a trailer is attached, the alarm goes off. Not sure it is is every time, I guess I need to do some testing. UGH!
That is HORRIBLE! What about the motion sensors? Do you know if you have those on or off? It is just habit for me now to hit the "Ok" on the off position now every time I turn the truck off. Until I see an OTA update that specifically says "fixed alarm issues!" then I'm never enabling them.

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
Both trailers I have tried have LED tail lights as most new trailers do. That is what puzzles me about Ford not being able to get this right.
I posted in another thread and solved the issue by installing a resistor on the right turn led. No issues since. Wasn’t getting anywhere with dealer or airstream service.

Ford F-150 Trailer towing issues E33CADA4-A2D1-4B17-8017-F38589902799

Ford F-150 Trailer towing issues 229306A7-EE68-4866-BBAD-AE9A4923BC95

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I posted in another thread and solved the issue by installing a resistor on the right turn led. No issues since. Wasn’t getting anywhere with dealer or airstream service.

E33CADA4-A2D1-4B17-8017-F38589902799.jpeg

229306A7-EE68-4866-BBAD-AE9A4923BC95.jpeg
What ohms are on that shunt? Thing looks like it must get hot if it has a whole ass heatsink!

This should not effect the LED brightness as their forward bias current should be constant, but can you verify that they are still just as bright?
Sponsored