Towing smaller trailer

tim665214

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Powerboost
I have a 2022 F-150 with the Powerboost engine. I have a small RV that probably weighs ~1800 lbs loaded. Should I be using tow/haul mode? I noticed the truck was shifting out of 10th and into 9th quite a bit on the highway. Maybe just lock out 10th? What would be your suggestions as to maximize towing performance for a light trailer?
Sponsored

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
I'm not a towing expert, but with that weight i would use tow/haul mode.

I towed 24' bay boat this weekend and locked out 9/10 and it worked great.

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Did you monitor trans temp? I would use tow mode, the transmission is probably 10 grand to replace

Csvt18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 f150 SCEW (current), 2022 f150 (ordered)
Tow haul mode is available for a reason. It changes rpm shifting intervals to save trans from higher temps. Do this and lockout 10th and possibly 9th gear your good to go.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
...the transmission is probably 10 grand to replace
I can't imagine a transmission R&R running longer than 10 hours book time, even with silly computer programming shit.

Ford F-150 Towing smaller trailer FD37B362-E485-427F-95F9-E74CDC0306AD

Sponsored

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
I have a 2022 F-150 with the Powerboost engine. I have a small RV that probably weighs ~1800 lbs loaded. Should I be using tow/haul mode? I noticed the truck was shifting out of 10th and into 9th quite a bit on the highway. Maybe just lock out 10th? What would be your suggestions as to maximize towing performance for a light trailer?
I myself use normal or eco to tow. The only time I really need tow haul is for engine braking, but I can do that manually myself by locking out. By using normal or eco I'm still getting electric when I coast into towns, sitting at a light, etc. I've heard many that do the same thing and just lock out 9th and 10th. Heck, when I first got my truck I even saw my tow haul mode remain in 10th while towing so the engineers have not programmed it in to keep the transmission safe in my eyes. Mine's a September 21 build, so maybe they have upgraded the driving modes better by now, but mine still shift into 9th and 10th in that mode. But I would never let a heavy load or a moderate to light load pull in 10th, those overdrive gears are not made for that in my opinion.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
What would be your suggestions as to maximize towing performance for a light trailer?
My suggestions ....
  • If you're a FORScan user, do the mod to display digital temps for tranny and engine coolant
  • Experiment - with / without tow-haul; with / without 10th then 9th gear lockout
Everyone's driving habits, terrain, trailer characteristics (weight and frontal area) are different. Experimenting won't harm anything and will likely guide you to the 'best' settings for your specific case.

In my own experimenting (with a not-so-small trailer) I keep an eye on temps and boost gauge, seeking to reduce 'boost excursions' and keep temps lower (it's a balancing act). My (or anyone else's) settings may not be 'best' for your specific situation. Note you might find a change of settings beneficial when conditions change (e.g. entering mountains / steep grades; facing a stiff headwind, etc).

Just for your consideration, Happy Trailering!
Sponsored

Last edited: