False alarm with trailer

ryjack70ss

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mustang GT
Hi all. I keep having my alarm activate when the truck is locked and a trailer attached. I have seen many threads on 2021s but it sounded like ford updated them and fixed it. I have a 2023 Tremor and can’t find anything. Is there a fox for this? FYI the trailer harness is in the 4 plug connector. It’s driving my neighbors nuts !!!
Sponsored

Facemelter

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Space White 3.5 S-crew. 89 Mustang Notch
22 XLT here. Couple weeks ago I stopped at the gas station for fuel, I was towing the boat home from fishing a tourney.
As I was walking out to the truck, the alarm starting going off saying the trailer had been disconnected.
I'm not sure if its something to do with the plug or what. It hasn't happened since and I've towed it at least twice since then.

bcb97

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2020 Expedition
It's probably faulty wiring in your trailer. When you are driving it, do you sometimes get random messages that the trailer is disconnected, or trailer lamp fault, etc? My utility trailer does this but I know I need to replace the wiring to the lights. My cargo trailer does not do this and it's much newer.

The truck's alarm system sends a signal through the trailer wiring when truck is locked. My cargo trailer rear lights have a faint blink when truck is locked and trailer hooked up. If that signal is broken for whatever reason, it'll set the alarm off.

Last edited:

J17GT

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502a
22 XLT here. Couple weeks ago I stopped at the gas station for fuel, I was towing the boat home from fishing a tourney.
As I was walking out to the truck, the alarm starting going off saying the trailer had been disconnected.
I'm not sure if its something to do with the plug or what. It hasn't happened since and I've towed it at least twice since then.
Had this exact thing happen when towing my car trailer two weeks ago. Stopped at a gas station and when returning to the truck the alarm went off as I approached. I’m assuming some software bug with the ‘welcome lighting’ that I have enabled. I’ve towed a bunch and it’s only happened the one time. Do you have the ‘welcome lighting’ turned on with your truck?

F150EB

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 2021 F150
I've had this problem in the past. Alarm would sound around 5 minutes after doors were locked. Would do it with my boat trailer connected and happen also with my work trailer so I'm unsure it's a trailer wiring problem on both. I think it loses connection with the trailer and sounds the alarm. My fix when locking the vehicle: press unlock, lock unlock, lock... Hasn't happened since!

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
most issues are with grounds or lack of
system is picky in that regard... loose connections in bulb base if not leds will drive you nuts as well.

Cobraman428

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB 701A MT FX4
Occupation
VP of IT
My truck alarm doesn't go off, but my recent trip a week ago towing my travel trailer. Almost every time I stop for gas I would turn off the truck,. Pump the gas and then started up the truck I would get trailer disconnected message. No alarm and also approach lighting is turned off. Everything worked normally. Trailer lights/brakes. Not sure if it is related.

Facemelter

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Space White 3.5 S-crew. 89 Mustang Notch
Had this exact thing happen when towing my car trailer two weeks ago. Stopped at a gas station and when returning to the truck the alarm went off as I approached. I’m assuming some software bug with the ‘welcome lighting’ that I have enabled. I’ve towed a bunch and it’s only happened the one time. Do you have the ‘welcome lighting’ turned on with your truck?
I do have it on, but when the alarm went off, I wasn't close enough for the welcome lighting/Key to recognize I was close enough to turn on.

OP
OP

ryjack70ss

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mustang GT
Thanks everyone. Mine happened while I was at work at truck was in front of the house. Drove the neighbors nuts ;). I unhooked the trailer wiring and it stopped. The trailer lights all work, but there is something it doesn't like.

Zeromarine

First Name
Cale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt 302a
The connector under the truck gets full of crap I forget which one. Even 2023 are having the issue. Had one in today. Cleaned it out. Packed full of dielectric and should be better. Shit design.