First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
Machine Designer - Ford Motor Co.
Hey, can anyone tell me how the stock Wrangler Territory's did in the snow this past winter?
Sponsored

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
Hey, can anyone tell me how the stock Wrangler Territory's did in the snow this past winter?
I only put around 500 miles on them before upgrading to Wrangler Duratracs. They were fine for the most part, though we have a steep driveway at 9500 feet and they didn't always feel confident, especially going down where they would sometimes lock up when braking and slide. Given that I never really trusted them at highway speed, so I swapped them out and the Duratracs were quite solid. No slipping on the driveway, I still am cautious at highway speed (always have been from growing up in Vermont). The problem is I don't love the tire overall (it's loud and noticeably sticky even after 10k miles). Considering just biting the bullet and switching to dedicated snows for the three to four months where they are necessary here in CO and going with a less heavy duty tire for the rest of the year, but I don't really want to spend money on another two sets of tires and I hate storing/changing them.

Depending on where you live they might be fine, I don't think they were quite up to it for mountain driving. Though TBH, its always been highway speed that concerns me more than getting stuck, and I'm not sure I would trust them emergency braking on them in icy/slick conditions.

OP
OP
CaptainAmericaRob

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
Machine Designer - Ford Motor Co.
I only put around 500 miles on them before upgrading to Wrangler Duratracs. They were fine for the most part, though we have a steep driveway at 9500 feet and they didn't always feel confident, especially going down where they would sometimes lock up when braking and slide. Given that I never really trusted them at highway speed, so I swapped them out and the Duratracs were quite solid. No slipping on the driveway, I still am cautious at highway speed (always have been from growing up in Vermont). The problem is I don't love the tire overall (it's loud and noticeably sticky even after 10k miles). Considering just biting the bullet and switching to dedicated snows for the three to four months where they are necessary here in CO and going with a less heavy duty tire for the rest of the year, but I don't really want to spend money on another two sets of tires and I hate storing/changing them.

Depending on where you live they might be fine, I don't think they were quite up to it for mountain driving. Though TBH, its always been highway speed that concerns me more than getting stuck, and I'm not sure I would trust them emergency braking on them in icy/slick conditions.
thanks for the input, i may keep them thru this winter and see. I'm a BFG K02 fan, having them on 2 other trucks.
I'm just not ready to drop $1,200 yet without giving them a chance.
I'm in Michigan, bout 30 miles NW of Detroit, so snow and ice are are the norm most of the winter...just no mountains lol.

ib_jigged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, 2013 Edge Limited, 2023 Explorer ST
I have already spoken to my dealer and I will be swapping my tires as soon as the truck shows on the lot. They will give me $150/tire towards new ones so I figure I might as well start out with a set of tires that I want.

Pretty much winter weather driving here in NW Minnesota from mid October through April.

I currently am running BFG KO2's on my 2012 F150, I like them, but they are heavy, and not real good on wet pavement. After 30,000 miles they are also getting loud. I am most likely going to go with Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. Also looking at General Grabber ATX's and Firestone Destination XT's.

Last edited:

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have already spoken to my dealer and I will be swapping my tires as soon as the truck shows on the lot. They will give me $150/tire towards new ones so I figure I might as well start out with a set of tires that I want.

I currently am running BFG KO2's on my 2012 F150, I like them, but they are heavy, and not real good on wet pavement. After 30,000 miles they are also getting loud. I am most likely going to go with Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. Also looking at General Grabber ATX's and Firestone Destination XT's.
would love to hear your opinion on whatever you settle on. I was eyeing the Wildpeaks or the Grabbers.

My ideal tire would be 3PMSF but not as aggressive as a Duratracs or KO2. Most of my life is on highway. I off-road but only in the sense of driving old mining roads. Mostly just a lot of medium sized (soft ball to basketball) loose rocks and I think most tires could handle them fine.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired

Pretty much winter weather driving here in NW Minnesota from mid October through April.

Interesting you are saying the KO2's are getting loud. I just realized my KO2's are making quite the racket now. I probably have 30k + miles on them. They were probably getting louder for a while, but I wasn't noticing. However one day it dawned on me that seemed to be much louder than when they were new.

Scotswims

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150, 2-16 golf r
Occupation
Oil and gas manager
would love to hear your opinion on whatever you settle on. I was eyeing the Wildpeaks or the Grabbers.

My ideal tire would be 3PMSF but not as aggressive as a Duratracs or KO2. Most of my life is on highway. I off-road but only in the sense of driving old mining roads. Mostly just a lot of medium sized (soft ball to basketball) loose rocks and I think most tires could handle them fine.
thanks for the input, i may keep them thru this winter and see. I'm a BFG K02 fan, having them on 2 other trucks.
I'm just not ready to drop $1,200 yet without giving them a chance.
I'm in Michigan, bout 30 miles NW of Detroit, so snow and ice are are the norm most of the winter...just no mountains lol.
How were the tires in the winter. Am in canada and about to start my first winter and considering changing. The stock tires which have minimal km on them

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How were the tires in the winter. Am in canada and about to start my first winter and considering changing. The stock tires which have minimal km on them
I’m going to dedicated snow tires for winter. I have trouble getting up our driveway in the snow in winter with the Duratracs while my wife’s CR-V with Blizzaks crushes it

hussar1683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB (on order)
I’m going to dedicated snow tires for winter. I have trouble getting up our driveway in the snow in winter with the Duratracs while my wife’s CR-V with Blizzaks crushes it
Agreed. No AT tire can even touch a dedicated winter tire on slippery roads. AT tires may get you going in deep snow fairly easy but they suck at higher speeds when it comes to directional control and braking.
Sponsored