• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I am not sure now. The 80A charger seems to be using the CCS plug and has a DC connection. Oddly the output claimed is the same as the built in power provided on most web comments.

There are two ways to get power out of the truck. One is the onboard inverter. Two is the DC output of the battery to the 80A charger then to a power management system in home.

" If you opt for the bi-directional 80-amp Ford Charge Station Pro, plus a home management system and an inverter needed to connect to your home, the F-150 Lightning will be able to output 9.6 kw of power through an Intelligent Backup Power function—enough to power the lights and appliances for days. " (That isn't correct Kw)

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...htning-home-backup-power-what-tesla-powerwall

Ford also posted the exact same images that showed inverter on wall.

"Provided the Lightning is plugged in, Ford's Intelligent Backup Power system works automatically (though you can manually configure it if you prefer), switching on when there's an electrical interruption. It feeds power from the truck's prodigious battery pack back to the 80-amp, 240-volt home charger, then the juice gets routed to an inverter, which magically transforms it from DC to AC, and finally that sweet, sweet electricity gets routed to all the plugs, lights and appliances in your home. It's pretty neat stuff."

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/...ectric-pickup-intelligent-backup-power-house/
Sponsored

Last edited:

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
If they are using the onboard charger to supply the house, then there would be no need for the DC connections on the handle plugging into the vehicle. That should inform you how the truck is powering the house since they would not add extra expense to the charger that won't be used.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Could be right. But I’m betting with those who think there will be an inverter as part of the “integration” kit. We saw photos around the release of the 80A EVSE. It uses the DC pins. If the onboard chargers are used to bring DC back to AC it would likely only be able to send that power back over the AC pins.
We also know the SR can provide 9.6 kW home power with the 80A EVSE. How could it do that with its 48A single on board charger?

What are we all going to do once Ford gives us all the real answers.
48A in the SR at 240V is actually 11.52kW so sufficient to supply the 9.6kW (40A@240V) the home back-up is being rated for. To me it comes down to whether the use of CCS (presumably for access to DC of high voltage battery) is final design or was a temporary measure for R&D while the vehicle bidirectional inverter is developed. There are NO sources of information stating the home 80A charger charger will have CCS that cite an Ford source (prove me wrong please), so basically we don't have the information needed to say and Ford appears to be actively avoiding the subject even though the feature is a top line marketing element.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Ford's website showed the 80A with a CCS connector. I think motortrend spoke of it using all the pins.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Ford's website showed the 80A with a CCS connector. I think motortrend spoke of it using all the pins.
Please provide that link to it being shown on the Ford site. Don't really care much about the motortrend article - unsourced and potentially based on R&D photograph.

Sponsored

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
There is a picture of it in the first post on this thread. I don’t remember seeing the picture on Fords site but several YouTube people were invited to this event and posted video. I believe the picture in the link is a frame grab from a video.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/ford-80a-charge-station-pro.4139/
It's an interesting photo but again, potentially a R&D setup and not final or selected design. At the Denver Lightning drive event, the one Ford employee that seemed like they might have actually ever owned an EV swore it will come with J1772 not CCS.

But maybe it will.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning's Charge Station Pro : Vehicle-to-Grid Charger 1636812862094

CCS1 is simply J1772 with two DC pins added below.

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
Taiwan and Korea also use CCS1.

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
So the Lighting has a CCS Type 1 socket most pictures show the lower DC pins flap cover closed and Ian on the Ford Lightning tour confirmed the 80A charger uses the CCS Type 1 plug. Now the 30A portable charger that comes with the truck is most likely a J1772 and could be the source of confusion for unenlightened dealers.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I think so too. I mean the 80A doesn't use the DC pins to charge but because of it's ability to output DC it uses CCS but not to charge at home.

Last edited:

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
It is 9.6Kw, not 9.2, but it isn't clear yet if the V2H setup will use the trucks onboard inverters (and send back A/C to the house), or if the inverter will be part of the home setup, and the truck sends DC over the larger pins on the CCS connector.
I saw an early video where they showed what the hardware would look like; There is the EVSE (charger) and a big wall box that is the inverter. So, it looks like it needs the big wall box to reverse the charge. The presenter pointed out that the majority of the power comes out from the two DC pins on the charger - which means then that the extra wall box converts that back into AC. I wish I could find that video.

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
If the power to the house is via the DC pins, then would it also be possible to put power into the battery at the same time via the upper AC connector? If this is going to work similar to a tesla powerwall you also need the ability to charge the battery up during the day via solar. I'm not about how the 3 way transfers work between house usage, truck battery, and solar, but you need flexibility to charge up the battery if possible.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
If the power to the house is via the DC pins, then would it also be possible to put power into the battery at the same time via the upper AC connector? If this is going to work similar to a tesla powerwall you also need the ability to charge the battery up during the day via solar. I'm not about how the 3 way transfers work between house usage, truck battery, and solar, but you need flexibility to charge up the battery if possible.
I think it is designed more for a power outage than as a fixed battery load like a power wall, but I guess we will learn more as it is told to us.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Ford comments on it seem to allow you to use it automatic backup or as a power wall
Sponsored