Extra leaf spring for max tow?

gowestyoungman

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT
I have an 2021 F150 XLT w/ max tow package, 7050#GVWR, 302A package. Do not have off-road/FX4 package. I too had a stiff ride out of the gate but followed advice on this forum and lowered air psi from 42 -> 35psi and had very good results. Takes enough edge off for a smoother ride. I also came from a 2004 Expedition so probably not used to the stiffer ride of a pickup.
Ford F-150 Extra leaf spring for max tow? Snag_687751cb

Ford F-150 Extra leaf spring for max tow? Snag_6877bfa8
Sponsored

Last edited:

CommoSGT

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Lariat SCrew, 2021 F150 Lariat SCrew
Occupation
Engineer
@gowestyoungman You forgot to blur your vin on the door sticker. Just sayin'

Mixmastergosu

First Name
Mix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
The 3 leaf spring comes with the 4150# rated rear axle. To get that axle you need ANY powerboost, or a max tow. 3800# and less are 2 leaf springs.

1613755488296.png
Bumping. Had this been confirmed that all powerboost require 3 leaf spring therefore max tow package has negligible impact to ride quality?

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Bumping. Had this been confirmed that all powerboost require 3 leaf spring therefore max tow package has negligible impact to ride quality?
I don't know about the ride quality of the non-powerboost but I don't know how my ride could be any smoother. I had a 2018 King Ranch eco boost and this 21 is even smoother and quieter than it was and I thought is was a great ride.

Mixmastergosu

First Name
Mix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
So was it ever confirmed if Powerboost Max tow FX4 rides that much different than a Powerboost FX4?

All I’ve read is that the max tow had the extra third spring but then read that they have the same rear differential so would love to hear everyone’s opinion. I have an order that I’ve picked off from the dealer and has everything I want except it has this max tow

Sponsored

phil7027

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 5.0
Occupation
Real Estate Developer
Sorry to bring up a somewhat old thread but this is what I used to buy what I needed (so I think)

Just left my dealer and ordered the Max Trailer tow leaf springs and shackles, is this all I need to swap them from my standards leafs? I will be adding bags in the future for towing but I wanted the heavier duty leafs as I always have tools and material in the back on my truck. I gave him the VIN to a max trailer tow truck on the lot and he ordered the leafs and shackles based off of that. I'm hoping this is correct. Same wheelbase and motor truck just mine doesn't have the max tow

JimMoran

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 T-Bird, 2020 Explorer ST, 2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
retired
I have max tow on my Lariat—great ride.

TNKIRK

First Name
TERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FORD F150 LARIAT SUPERCAB
Occupation
R V SALES
Max tow.........................................great ride

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Maybe you will also need to upgrade the shocks, but I'd probably drive it first before spending the money. Max Tow package also has larger rear brakes and I think a heavier gauge frame too. Probably not worthwhile to do those though.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Just left my dealer and ordered the Max Trailer tow leaf springs and shackles,
How much were they? A set of Deavers or other aftermarket leafs is like $1600, so hopefully a lot cheaper than that?

Sponsored

mattbaer355

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Before ordering my truck, I test drove the max tow vs non max tow (with all the same options) xlt trucks back-to-back on the same road. The max tow had a much stiffer ride and you could feel more bumps and the regular tow with the 2 leafs rode much smoother. Payload was almost the same so they will have similar limitations with pulling assuming you stay with payload limits and 10-12% tongue weight. All the max tow had 3 leafs on the lot and regular tow had 2 leafs when I was looking. The hitches were 11,600 for the non max and 14,000 for the max.

Ford F-150 Extra leaf spring for max tow? IMG_5837.JPG

Ford F-150 Extra leaf spring for max tow? IMG_5858.JPG

Ford F-150 Extra leaf spring for max tow? IMG_5860.JPG

Ford F-150 Extra leaf spring for max tow? IMG_5861.JPG

oncechance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT, 302A, FX4, 3.5 EB, 6.5', Max Tow
I have the max tow and think it rides very smooth. Yes, I too have the three leaf spring setup. Maybe just me....

Jeff1024

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
I have the max tow and think it rides very smooth. Yes, I too have the three leaf spring setup. Maybe just me....
I drove the two back to back before we placed our order. The non-max tow is noticeably softer, not to say the max tow trucks ride poorly, but the single rear leaf is nice.

That said I do tow things, including a boat /w a pretty high tongue weight that cant use a WDH. I would rather have the stiffer ride than have the headlights pointed to the sky when we have the boat hooked up on the non max tow truck.

I just took delivery of my 2022 Platty Max Tow /w the CCD suspension and I think it rides great. Noticeably better than my 2015.

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
I have the HDPP on my reg cab long bed and the ride is stiff, when empty with the higher spring rate leaf pack and heavy duty sway bars; the truck drives like an old solid axle sports car.

On perfectly smooth roads, it rides great but if there are even the slightest imperfections, you feel them and when I took a short trip on a washboard gravel highway, the truck nearly skipped off the road and my vision got blurry from the vibrations. I had to crack the windows because of the buffeting and now there’s leaks in the exhaust where the clamps weren’t evidently tightened enough.

Keep the stock springs and if you do need extra tempo capacity, get airbags or a utility trailer. I actually plan on swapping mine out for the next lower GVWR springs when the warranty is up and putting in airbags for the times I do need the extra spring rate. I will probably swap the 4x4 spacers for the RWD ones to lower the rear a bit and improve empty weight distribution. I have little doubt, that if not for the traction control, I would be spinning my inside rear tire at every opportunity. I‘ve been meaning to visit the scales but haven’t been on that side of town. It will be interesting to see.
Pedaldude,

Sorry to hear about your rough ride when empty, I'm kind of surprised. I was strongly considering a long bed myself to get the HDPP but I only need a short bed. I also have a rough ride in my short bed when empty but I blamed the short wheelbase.

I will be using mine to occasionally haul a slide-in pop-up camper. I had a choice of a 6.5' camper in a 8" HDPP bed or the short bed wo HDPP. I chose the short bed knowing I would have a payload concern that I would have to address when I add the camper. I should be at or maybe slightly less than my max paylaod most of the time and up to 300 pounds over when I'm loaded up with provisions. I'll be squatting when loaded unless I do something.

I'll take your comment as a vote against pursuing the Ford HDPP springs as a possible upgrade. I'm not even sure if the parts are interchangeable. There's still a lot I have to pursue from air bags, timbrens, and a couple different spring modifications recommended by local shops.

One thing I like to clarify is your comment about sway bars. Do you know for sure if different sway bars are part of the HDPP? I'm curious because I'm also trying to figure out what I'm missing wo HDPP. btw, I plan on getting some E-rated tires
I'm wondering if the ride would be improved by installing Bilstien 5160 shocks with the reserviors.

I still can't imagine retrofitting HDPP leaf springs with appropriately matched shocks being worse or more bumpy than a HD pickup.

Mortonsk9s

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 and 2022 F150
Occupation
Engineering
MY 21 with max tow rides harsh compared to my 22 with only the tow package. But when you load the max tow it is super smooth. Both same tire size, the 21 is a fx4 while the 22 is a sport 4wd.

If changing leaf springs to get a higher payload do not forget the floating axle on the max tow and the hdpp models.
Sponsored