Tom32

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum FX4, 2020 Explorer ST, 2010 XLT
Ford F-150 Extra leaf spring for max tow? axle rating 2021 f150

From my Platinum with the max tow package. I would agree with others that it is the best riding F150 I have had. That includes three prior F150s without max tow or heavy duty designations of the time.
Sponsored

HandyMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F350 Powerstroke
For comparison a platinum with no additional packages of any kind (no tow package and no FX4) has:
3600lb front GAWR
3800lb rear GAWR
7050lb GVWR

It also has the single leaf spring

So the only difference in rating is 250lbs less rear GAWR, but it still has exactly the same GVWR.

Wrf61

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost / 2019 Ford Ranger XLT
My Powerboost Lariat 4x4 has the regular tow package but with the MaxTow rear leafs....it's confusing to me....either way I tow a 26 Foot XLite Travel Trailer that when loaded averages 6500#......must have been put together with whatever was close at hand. This came off my dealers lot, not special ordered.
Ford F-150 Extra leaf spring for max tow? Blue Devil Rear Leaf
Ford F-150 Extra leaf spring for max tow? Blue Devil GVWR Sticker
Ford F-150 Extra leaf spring for max tow? Blue Devil Hitch Receiver
Ford F-150 Extra leaf spring for max tow? Blue Devil Yellow Payload Sticker

Attachments

Regular Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Regular Cab, Short Bed
Does anyone have the part numbers for these rear leaf springs? In case someone wants to retrofit their non HDPP F150 with the leaf spring packs with a higher spring rate. I know this won't increase your actual tow or payload rating legally, however, it should improve handling when the rear axle is loaded.
Exactly what I'm wondering. I have a reg cab short bed and no HD payload pkg, it's not available. I'm considering all options to "increase" my payload including possibly swapping out my 2 leaf with the one of the 3 leafs. I don't even know if it's feasible but part numbers would help.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I have the HDPP on my reg cab long bed and the ride is stiff, when empty with the higher spring rate leaf pack and heavy duty sway bars; the truck drives like an old solid axle sports car.

On perfectly smooth roads, it rides great but if there are even the slightest imperfections, you feel them and when I took a short trip on a washboard gravel highway, the truck nearly skipped off the road and my vision got blurry from the vibrations. I had to crack the windows because of the buffeting and now there’s leaks in the exhaust where the clamps weren’t evidently tightened enough.

Keep the stock springs and if you do need extra tempo capacity, get airbags or a utility trailer. I actually plan on swapping mine out for the next lower GVWR springs when the warranty is up and putting in airbags for the times I do need the extra spring rate. I will probably swap the 4x4 spacers for the RWD ones to lower the rear a bit and improve empty weight distribution. I have little doubt, that if not for the traction control, I would be spinning my inside rear tire at every opportunity. I‘ve been meaning to visit the scales but haven’t been on that side of town. It will be interesting to see.

Regular Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Regular Cab, Short Bed
I have the HDPP on my reg cab long bed and the ride is stiff, when empty with the higher spring rate leaf pack and heavy duty sway bars; the truck drives like an old solid axle sports car.

On perfectly smooth roads, it rides great but if there are even the slightest imperfections, you feel them and when I took a short trip on a washboard gravel highway, the truck nearly skipped off the road and my vision got blurry from the vibrations. I had to crack the windows because of the buffeting and now there’s leaks in the exhaust where the clamps weren’t evidently tightened enough.

Keep the stock springs and if you do need extra tempo capacity, get airbags or a utility trailer. I actually plan on swapping mine out for the next lower GVWR springs when the warranty is up and putting in airbags for the times I do need the extra spring rate. I will probably swap the 4x4 spacers for the RWD ones to lower the rear a bit and improve empty weight distribution. I have little doubt, that if not for the traction control, I would be spinning my inside rear tire at every opportunity. I‘ve been meaning to visit the scales but haven’t been on that side of town. It will be interesting to see.
Pedaldude,

Sorry to hear about your rough ride when empty, I'm kind of surprised. I was strongly considering a long bed myself to get the HDPP but I only need a short bed. I also have a rough ride in my short bed when empty but I blamed the short wheelbase.

I will be using mine to occasionally haul a slide-in pop-up camper. I had a choice of a 6.5' camper in a 8" HDPP bed or the short bed wo HDPP. I chose the short bed knowing I would have a payload concern that I would have to address when I add the camper. I should be at or maybe slightly less than my max paylaod most of the time and up to 300 pounds over when I'm loaded up with provisions. I'll be squatting when loaded unless I do something.

I'll take your comment as a vote against pursuing the Ford HDPP springs as a possible upgrade. I'm not even sure if the parts are interchangeable. There's still a lot I have to pursue from air bags, timbrens, and a couple different spring modifications recommended by local shops.

One thing I like to clarify is your comment about sway bars. Do you know for sure if different sway bars are part of the HDPP? I'm curious because I'm also trying to figure out what I'm missing wo HDPP. btw, I plan on getting some E-rated tires

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat SUper Crew 500a 3.5 EB Max Tow
Lariat 500a with Max Tow. The only significant extra weight option that I have is the power tailgate.

Ford F-150 Extra leaf spring for max tow? 26077C47-A196-4F45-87FE-390AE142954D

Ford F-150 Extra leaf spring for max tow? A4B44017-EA2B-40F2-8DDC-3832719A304A

Ford F-150 Extra leaf spring for max tow? 8673295E-2DF1-4C56-B4CE-AF3536FE3388

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I imagine that the springs will be fine when loaded, it’s just the nature of things. Especially since leaf springs also locate the axles on our trucks, there’s really not a whole lot that ford can do. If they ever go with coil springs, they can make them progressive but until then we just have to enjoy the rough ride unladen if we are to enjoy more payload.

The rule of thumb for ride quality is the ratio between sprung and unsprung weight. So as a rule, Crewcab trucks and higher trim levels will have a better ride simply because they weigh more in relation to the wheels and axle.

So even though I have a harsh ride empty, it means that when I have a few heavy steel plates in the back or a ton of concrete blocks that I will be enjoying the same ride quality as a Platinum or Limited owner :p

With careful gear selection, you might be able to make your payload requirement. Also people need to watch the front axle GAWR if they are going to be adding anything over the roof. Even on the HDPP, the front axle rating is 500lbs lower than the Powerboost, which is annoying for anyone that wants to add bumpers and winches.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
First time posting here, hi everyone. I have 2021 xlt 5.0 ccsb max tow. Oddly I have the same triple leaf springs as Capt Obvious but my rear axle is only rated 3800 lbs. Only difference I see is tire size. I feel like I should have 250 lbs more payload.
Ford F-150 Extra leaf spring for max tow? PXL_20210220_162334241~4
Ford F-150 Extra leaf spring for max tow? PXL_20210220_162325339~3
Ford F-150 Extra leaf spring for max tow? PXL_20210402_181709184
Any theories?

Sponsored

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
First time posting here, hi everyone. I have 2021 xlt 5.0 ccsb max tow. Oddly I have the same triple leaf springs as Capt Obvious but my rear axle is only rated 3800 lbs. Only difference I see is tire size. I feel like I should have 250 lbs more payload.
PXL_20210220_162334241~4.jpg
PXL_20210220_162325339~3.jpg
PXL_20210402_181709184.jpg
Any theories?
Yes, find the Ford spec pdf for details. You will see though Max Tow (and Hybrid) have 3 leaf, like the HDPP, it is not the same leafs. The Max Tow 3 leaf is listed with spec for Deflection Rate (lbs per in./spring of 247/388. Where the HDPP is 274/431. Also HDPP forces special 18" wheels.

powerboost

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost loaded
Occupation
retired technician
........so you are saying the "ML34-5560-CE" we see printed on lowest spring doesn't tell us the whole story on which spring pack we are getting? It doesn't automatically point to the "max tow" springs just because those numbers are there? I am wondering what is difference between a powerboost 4x4 ordered with "trailer tow package" versus "max tow package" for another almost $1,000. Springs, axle assembly, driveshaft, thicker frame and different bumper is supposed to be "max tow package" but seems almost identical on the Powerboost trucks. ???????????

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Parts.Ford is really slow right now but there are two different 9.75" rear axles. I don't know if the Powerboost comes with the 3/4 float axle without Max Tow but it is a much more expensive axle compared with the other options.

Some options aren't prorated with others, for example, FX4 for my truck was the same as if I didn't already have the locking rear axle. Which made it a bit of a ripoff considering it was just the skid plates, software and a pair of stickers.

Ford F-150 Extra leaf spring for max tow? 4A44A65E-00F9-4F39-BC12-1DA992222D0E

The spring packs are different for each GVWR package but they are only one piece of the puzzle. Also, while something may seem right static while the truck is sitting still, dynamic loads are where the engineers earn their money.

Normally, you can look up the equipment on your truck using VIN search on Parts.Ford.Com but sometimes the site won't work and sometimes when it is working, certain VINs won't be recognized. You can always call any dealer's parts counter with a VIN and find out what parts are equipped.

as of today May 13th, the website isn't working properly for my devices on any browser.

Last edited:

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat SUper Crew 500a 3.5 EB Max Tow
PXL_20210220_162334241~4.jpg
PXL_20210220_162325339~3.jpg
PXL_20210402_181709184.jpg
Any theories?
Welcome to the club.
It depends on how optioned out your XLT is. If you have a 302a with extra things like a moonroof and power tailgate you could have eaten that extra 250 up.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Thanks folks. I get the options penalty on payload, I meant gvwr, sorry.
Capt Obvious, yours and mine both have the same gvwr of 7050 but my rear axle rating is lower (I should have mentioned my truck has 4wd and 3.73 locker but not fx4). By the chart posted earlier by daemonic3, 3 leaf springs have a load rating of at least 4050. Yet my gawr is only 3800. (Also the footnote to that chart says "Subject to change" lol). Could it be the cheaper 9.75 axle is the limiting factor? How would I identify which 9.75 axle I have?
Sponsored