First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
What’s the current consensus on “Automatic Updates? – turn on or off?

I’m another one of those set free from the OTA lockout thanks to @Jesse-Infotainment, but now notice that “notifications” are no longer a setting under software updates. If automatic updates are turned off, will you be notified when an OTA update is available for manual selection?
I think the general consensus is leave the Auto-Update button off. That way the truck will still download them, but you have the choice to install them at your will, not randomly by the truck.
Sponsored

cary

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 - 2021
Occupation
Sales
I updated my IPMA, PCM and ABS about 6 weeks ago using FDRS. It looks like I now have a gateway module and BCM update pending. My question is, will these eventually update on their own or have I created a situation where I now have to manually update anything significant? Looking at that gateway module specifically since it seems to control communication between all modules.

thank you

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I updated my IPMA, PCM and ABS about 6 weeks ago using FDRS. It looks like I now have a gateway module and BCM update pending. My question is, will these eventually update on their own or have I created a situation where I now have to manually update anything significant? Looking at that gateway module specifically since it seems to control communication between all modules.

thank you
The GWM is scheduled for an OTA update. You should get it eventually, but no guarantees—I haven’t received it yet either. The BCM is not scheduled for an OTA update. If you want it updated, you’ll probably need to burn another FDRS license.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I'll give that a try, otherwise I have to wait until Tues to talk to OPUS
My understanding is that you ran the J2534 Toolbox diagnostics and the driver installation checked out ok but the diagnostics failed the Vehicle/OBD2 test by failing to return a VIN. If that’s the case, you probably have a bad cable. It isn’t common, but there have been a few malfunctioning units. Opus can run you through a few more checks and authorize a replacement.

Mwathey515

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PB 3/14/21
Occupation
Retired
My understanding is that you ran the J2534 Toolbox diagnostics and the driver installation checked out ok but the diagnostics failed the Vehicle/OBD2 test by failing to return a VIN. If that’s the case, you probably have a bad cable. It isn’t common, but there have been a few malfunctioning units. Opus can run you through a few more checks and authorize a replacement.

Yes, ran diags on cable & tried another laptop.
Drivers ck out ok but wont pull VIN.
It looks like OPUS is closed for holiday, will keep trying but may simply be a cable replacement. Thanks

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Yes, ran diags on cable & tried another laptop.
Drivers ck out ok but wont pull VIN.
It looks like OPUS is closed for holiday, will keep trying but may simply be a cable replacement. Thanks
You might want to hold off on further attempts until you talk to Opus. I think there is something wrong with the cable. The last thing you want to do is get it working temporarily only to have it fail again in the middle of an update. That would be bad.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
The rain was delayed until this afternoon/evening, so I decided to get a 2-day license and knock out the few updates that I had pending for my truck. I'll be interested to see how the PCM update affects things with the transmission and hybrid logic over the next couple weeks.

GSMCANKey On, Engine Off
TCUUSBKey On, Engine On
SOBDMCCANKey On, Engine Off
PCM (w/SOBDMC)CANKey On, Engine Off
BCMCANKey On, Engine Off
APIMUSBKey On, Engine On

My new NOCO Genius10 charger did fine as far as I could tell, though the entire process only took about an hour, so it wasn't like these updates really taxed anything. I did notice a new pop-up during the process that I never saw previously, does anyone know when this started showing?

Ford F-150 ECU module programming guide using FDRS 1662389027178

I only got this for the TCU and APIM updates. I did find it odd that the TCU showed a minimum required voltage of 12 VDC, but the APIM minimum was 10 VDC. I continued both times despite being below the 80% required as it wasn't that far below, and I had the charger connected. No issues with either.

Mwathey515

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PB 3/14/21
Occupation
Retired
You might want to hold off on further attempts until you talk to Opus. I think there is something wrong with the cable. The last thing you want to do is get it working temporarily only to have it fail again in the middle of an update. That would be bad.
Yep, I'm waiting until I can get through to them, worst case scenario, I'll send this cable back to Amazon & buy one from OPUS.
Thankfully, my truck isn't having any issues, just want to update it.
Appreciate your attention to this & thx for answering @Jesse-Infotainment.

JDPEagle

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Been having a lot of Gateway Module A error codes thrown lately (U2402, U0146), and no connection to Ford Connect (map weather radar, app connectivity, etc.).

Any known issues, and (when able) if someone would pull my current outstanding updates, I'd be much obliged (VIN 1FTFW1E80MFA20877).

This thread should charge a subscription fee. 😉

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Just wondering if the BCM update is safe to do for a non PB truck?

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Been having a lot of Gateway Module A error codes thrown lately (U2402, U0146), and no connection to Ford Connect (map weather radar, app connectivity, etc.).

Any known issues, and (when able) if someone would pull my current outstanding updates, I'd be much obliged (VIN 1FTFW1E80MFA20877).

This thread should charge a subscription fee. 😉
You have a gateway and ACM update.

How frequent is the loss of Comms for traffic and weather. The cloud with a line through it versus the direction showing.

JDPEagle

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
How frequent is the loss of Comms for traffic and weather. The cloud with a line through it versus the direction showing.
The connection has been out now for about 48-hours. The Ford Connected logo (arrows) is missing, and the cloud symbol with the lines through are present. Wi-Fi is also not available.

Ford F-150 ECU module programming guide using FDRS D4986556-40FB-4BB5-A6B1-91A127ADF861

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
The connection has been out now for about 48-hours. The Ford Connected logo (arrows) is missing, and the cloud symbol with the lines through are present. Wi-Fi is also not available.

D4986556-40FB-4BB5-A6B1-91A127ADF861.jpeg
Unplug your tcu over night. It is on the backwall behind the passenger side rear seat back thta folds.. right above the jack,, Leave it unplugged until themorning. It will come back after.. TCO is locked up

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Unplug your tcu over night. It is on the backwall behind the passenger side rear seat back thta folds.. right above the jack,, Leave it unplugged until themorning. It will come back after.. TCO is locked up
@Jesse-Infotainment had me do this a couple of months ago when mine locked up. Worked like a charm but heed his instructions—let it sit at least overnight. A few hours won’t do it. The TCU has capacitors and they need time to drain so the TCU can reset. Also, there are three connectors on the TCU. You only need to unplug the big one on the left. That’s the power connector. It’s also the easiest one to disconnect and reconnect.

Once the TCU is back up and running consider updating the software so it doesn’t keep happening.

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
You have a gateway and ACM update.

I think there may have been issues on Ford's servers also. We lost connected nav last week on a trip home, and it came back on its own. Also, FordPass wasn't connecting for a few hours.

I did install the GWM and APIM updates anyway, but that was after it came back on its own.
Sponsored