Sponsored

Does your 5.0 sound really loud on a cold start?

dave91gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 1991 Mustang GT 2019 Expedition
I have a 21 F150 I bought back in October. Lariat Sport, 4x4, 5.0, 2KW outlet, dual alternator, etc. It now has 6K.
Since new, on a cold start, the drivetrain somewhere is really loud. Not a knock or rattle. It sounds like a cavitating pump / growl. As soon as it warms up, its quiet. Dealing with Ford Engineers, it was thought the transmission / torque converter was the noise. So they expedited a replacement and last week, my dealer installed it. Cooler, transmission, torque converter. Well- its just as noisy as before. I haven't told them yet as they have been fabulous to deal with and really thought this was the noise. Am I crazy? is it normal? truck runs and drives great- debating on just ignoring it.
Sponsored

SILVERBULLET69

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
YOUR GLOVE BOX LIGHT IS ON
I WAS CLEANING UP A BIT IN THE GARAGE THIS WEEKEND AND FOUND A 1/2 CAN OF SPRAY BELT DRESSING. FINISHED IT OFF ON THE 5O AND IT SEEMED TO BE NOTICABLY SMOOTHER SOUNDING AFTER WARDS. WHEN I 1ST GOT THE TRUCK IT WAS CLINKING AND CLUNKING AND WHIRRING A LOT UNDER THERE MOST NOTICABLY AT A DRIVE UP WINDOW. BEING THAT CLOSE TO A WALL IT SOUNDS LIKE IT WAS COMING APART UNDER THERE NOW IM JUST USED TO IT OR IT HAS JUST GOT BROKE IN W 17,000 MILES. I DO HAVE A NOTICABLE (WITH RADIO OFF) WHIR/WHINE DRIVE TRAIN SOUND COMING FROM WHAT SOUNDS LIKE THE REAR WINDOW/FRONT OF TRUCK BED AREA UNDER CARRIGE. I FIGURE F@#K IT IF IT COMES APART THE DEALER AND I WILL KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THE PROBLEM IS :cool:

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Honestly haven't noticed it on mine.

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I have noticed loud cold start, then once it idles for a bit it’s quiets down. I just assumed it was normal!

Photonicc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
When the AC is running, my trucks engine bay sounds louder than my exhaust setup

Sponsored

OP
OP

dave91gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have noticed loud cold start, then once it idles for a bit it’s quiets down. I just assumed it was normal!
Maybe it is? Mine seriously is so loud I don't like starting it around coworkers when its cold. My buddy's 5.3 starts with a loud exhaust note and no noise up front. My engine note is drowned out with a bunch of odd whining, grumbling sounds coming from underneath the engine bay. My 2013 5.0 was all exhaust as well as my sons 2011 5.0. This one sounds like there's just a lot going on. Once it settles to a low idle its silent. Motors strong, I know its not a major mechanical issue as at 6K it would have likely shown up by now.

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
Have you checked your oil? I would do and oil change and run full synthetic oil, after my first oil change the start up drivetrain noise quieted down a bit and runs smoother on start up.

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Running fuel synthetic mobil 1 with K&N filter, first oil change at ~5000mi. Currently have ~6300mi and all fluid levels are the exact same from oil change!

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
Running fuel synthetic mobil 1 with K&N filter, first oil change at ~5000mi. Currently have ~6300mi and all fluid levels are the exact same from oil change!
Do you also have the 2k pro power on board?

Sponsored

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.
You supposed to open the hood????

I thought mine was welded shut. hmmmm

OP
OP

dave91gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Have you checked your oil? I would do and oil change and run full synthetic oil, after my first oil change the start up drivetrain noise quieted down a bit and runs smoother on start up.
Yes on oil. I changed the factory fill at 5K and am using Royal Purple with a Wix filter. The oil usage is almost non existent. I finally found another post (cant remember the forum) and a guy posted a video and it was identical to my sound. After start up, there is about a 2 sec delay and the noise comes on suddenly. Its like a cavitating pump sound. Hard to describe. Its just noisy. After it idles back down, after a couple seconds it just stops. Like clockwork every time.

OP
OP

dave91gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can you post a video of it?
I like your user name. I traded a 2018 F250 for this truck and I really do miss it. I’ll have another. Story for another time. Anyway- I’ve added a 4” MBRP exhaust and it completely drowns out the noise. I tried posting a video on here before but failed miserably.
Sponsored