Do you REALLY NEED 4×4?

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Ive had 3 good 2WD trucks that sold, made good money on em , and one not for sale....yet :)

Ford F-150 Do you REALLY NEED 4×4? 20180506_125004

Ford F-150 Do you REALLY NEED 4×4? 20150620_162302

Ford F-150 Do you REALLY NEED 4×4? 20191013_140344

Ford F-150 Do you REALLY NEED 4×4? 20231007_163051_resized_1
Sponsored

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
Sure, and if you're going cross country take your plane. The OP indicated it was going to be his only and last vehicle. Perhaps I read it wrong...
I mean, some of you guys spent more on 1 single truck than I have in all 3 of those vehicles, plus I've owned the Flex since 2015 and the Raptor since 2019. Only the truck I just purchased do I owe anything on.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I mean, some of you guys spent more on 1 single truck than I have in all 3 of those vehicles, plus I've owned the Flex since 2015 and the Raptor since 2019. Only the truck I just purchased do I owe anything on.
I may have been too sharp with my response to you. I’m remembering the downside to single cab ownership when a 93 Nissan hardbody was my only vehicle. I made do, but I was in my twenties. Heck, I could actually sleep standing up in those days lol.

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
I may have been too sharp with my response to you. I’m remembering the downside to single cab ownership when a 93 Nissan hardbody was my only vehicle. I made do, but I was in my twenties. Heck, I could actually sleep standing up in those days lol.
Completely understand, no hard feelings here! Trucks have come a very long ways since the 90's, hell, even the 2000's. I'm right there alongside you though, I daily drove an 86 RX-7 for 3 years in my early 20's. Horrible idea, but I did it because it's what I had. I am by no means rich now, I just learned to be smart with money early on and not put myself in bad financial situations, so now in my late 30's I do alright. I too remember the days where I could fall asleep anywhere... lol

Sponsored

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.
Completely understand, no hard feelings here! Trucks have come a very long ways since the 90's, hell, even the 2000's. I'm right there alongside you though, I daily drove an 86 RX-7 for 3 years in my early 20's. Horrible idea, but I did it because it's what I had. I am by no means rich now, I just learned to be smart with money early on and not put myself in bad financial situations, so now in my late 30's I do alright. I too remember the days where I could fall asleep anywhere... lol
I have to laugh! If you could see My OLD FAT A%% these days in person you would not believe that I used to drive a 87 fiero gt back in the early to middle nineties. (wish I still had that car) Wife didn't like it so it was sold to an old guy at the time for his 16 year old daughter.

PvtZoller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150
Occupation
Motorcycle things
4x4 for me is like the fire extinguisher in your kitchen, a firearm in the nightstand, or your spare tire.

364 days a year, maybe 3640 days a decade. You wont need it. Use it once and you are the genius who made the investment. 1 day of crummy weather or perhaps an unexpected detour away from it paying for itself.

I will note, I normally get a new truck every 5 years or so. 4x4 has near zero depreciation in my experience.

"Darn, nice truck - Wish it was 2WD though"
- No one ever.

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 STX, Lead Foot Grey
Occupation
Systems Administrator
We had a funeral in WV 2 weekends ago, and getting to the family cemetery included a shallow creek crossing and a steep incline up a BIG hill behind the church (not a road - a tractor path) that I was thankful we had 4x4 in. Just to the left of the muddy tractor path was a steep hill (almost cliff dropoff) to the driver's side going up. I was about 1/4 of the way up, started sliding to the left a little, and exclaimed a big "NOPE," threw it in 4x4 and didn't have to get the family to another funeral a few days later.

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
I think the older I get, the less I need 4WD. There are still times I can get myself 100% stuck and I do need it, but I'm better at judging how to avoid it. Drive according to the environment.
This definitely makes a lot of sense. Driving according to the conditions/environment and being properly equipped to handle what you're doing goes a long ways. Yes, if you want to go off road in the shit and have a very good chance of getting stuck, make sure you have 4WD. Yes, if you NEED to be driving in deep snow or ice a lot, then AWD/4WD is your friend (with proper tires, summer tires and knobby M/T's aren't doing you favors). If you're just driving under "normal" circumstances, 4WD/AWD ain't necessary.

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
4x4 for me is like the fire extinguisher in your kitchen, a firearm in the nightstand, or your spare tire.

364 days a year, maybe 3640 days a decade. You wont need it. Use it once and you are the genius who made the investment. 1 day of crummy weather or perhaps an unexpected detour away from it paying for itself.

I will note, I normally get a new truck every 5 years or so. 4x4 has near zero depreciation in my experience.

"Darn, nice truck - Wish it was 2WD though"
- No one ever.
A fire extinguisher and a firearm serve a specific purpose, and can't really be replaced with alternative means. You're not going to sacrifice a fire extinguisher for a cup of water, and you're not going to sacrifice a firearm for a wooden stick. There's downsides to 4WD when it comes to application in a truck. There's not a downside to a fire extinguisher, or a firearm for self defense.

Sponsored

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
We had a funeral in WV 2 weekends ago, and getting to the family cemetery included a shallow creek crossing and a steep incline up a BIG hill behind the church (not a road - a tractor path) that I was thankful we had 4x4 in. Just to the left of the muddy tractor path was a steep hill (almost cliff dropoff) to the driver's side going up. I was about 1/4 of the way up, started sliding to the left a little, and exclaimed a big "NOPE," threw it in 4x4 and didn't have to get the family to another funeral a few days later.
In that situation I don't think any intelligent person would be driving a vehicle that wasn't equipped for it. That being said, it's about not putting yourself in a stupid situation either.

OP
OP

Bossharp

First Name
Clinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Occupation
Retired USN
Many really need it..some like to have it. For me the difference in price ($5,005.00) was not worth it. I would rather have the mod's.

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
Chili I had a 2006 SRT-10 Quad for 3 years after seeing one fly by me taking the kids to Disney world. The quad cab has only a auto transmission that I have to use (loss of use left arm) and it was a incredible ownership experience. Lay a 2' patch in 2nd no problem! Chirp going in 3rd? Yep. Mine was a Mineral grey with a hard factory tonneau cover (with wing lolol!) and I kept that truck until the very day the super premium factory warranty expired. Chris Mossberg of the shotgun family bought it and took it home to Maryland on a train..
Didn’t even remember these existed!:

Ford F-150 Do you REALLY NEED 4×4? IMG_4820

OP
OP

Bossharp

First Name
Clinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Occupation
Retired USN
nomarhits400 when the SRT-10 first came out it was a single cab only with a 6 speed manual. I looked into converted to a auto but it was just impossible. Then the Quad cab automatic came in 2005. That's what I seen flying by me. But I had just bought a new 2005 Quad cab 1/2 ton LONG BED 2 wheel drive with a painted to match topper to haul the Band and PA. They were and still are a incredibly fast performance truck. Very limited too. My only mistake was watching a video of a 2005 QC doing a burn out and the guy lose it and rollover.. I plan to make my 2024 single cab XL have the look of a SRT-10 with the hard tonneau cover wing and stance and eventually performance. With the 1998-2004 'Lighting' influencing me as much or more. I'm looking forward to this build!

PvtZoller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150
Occupation
Motorcycle things
A fire extinguisher and a firearm serve a specific purpose, and can't really be replaced with alternative means. You're not going to sacrifice a fire extinguisher for a cup of water, and you're not going to sacrifice a firearm for a wooden stick. There's downsides to 4WD when it comes to application in a truck. There's not a downside to a fire extinguisher, or a firearm for self defense.
Besides expense - What is the downside on having 4x4 in contrast to a 2WD pickup for day to day use?
Sponsored