Sponsored

What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150?

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
ProPower AND 157" for the win-win.

Boondocking insurance, of course.
For those that travel without itinerary.
(few or rare reservations)
Dont bother propower sucks badly.. Voltage is unstable, cant start an AC even with soft start. Very disappointed. On the powerboost might be signiicnatly different but i never use my 2KW Propower for anyhting more than charging my laptop!
Sponsored

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Dont bother propower sucks badly.. Voltage is unstable, cant start an AC even with soft start. Very disappointed. On the powerboost might be signiicnatly different but i never use my 2KW Propower for anyhting more than charging my laptop!
Pro Power on Board is superb. If you wasted money on the 2 Kw, to bad. That isn't a real Pro Power. The 2.4Kw that is standard on Power Boost, while a little weak, is a true PPOB. The 7.2Kw PPOB most definitely will start and run a TT.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Edit: @Atlee beat me to my similar response

Ummmm
I'm a full-time RVr and use ProPower often.
In fact I have run 2 RV's simultaneously with Air Conditioners on both. Admittedly I have a softstart on one of them but not the other.

And no offense intended, but your ProPower is far from representative of all ProPower. Lots of Powerboost have near 4x's the output of how your truck is equipped.

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost

Ummmm
In fact I have run 2 RV's simultaneously with Air Conditioners on both. Admittedly I have a softstart on one of them but not the other.

And no offense intended, but your ProPower is far from representative of all ProPower. Lots of Powerboost have near 4x's the output of how your truck is equipped.
I have seen this kind of misinformation on other forums. Ford should not have named the 7.2kW and 2.4kW using the term ProPower. In the trailer world 5kW difference is a big deal. 2.4kW is slightly more than a Honda 2200 portable generator.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
I'd like to jump in with some experience over multiple F150s:
2011 F150 V8 157"
2015 F150 EB 143"
2022 F150 PB 157"
In my exp the 157" is a must for towing heavy\longers items.
My 2011 had the weight of a steel body, V8 and a wheelbase that made for my best towing vehicle of the three. It handled my 24ft boat and Grand Design 29TBS (bumper pull) 36ft trailer with no issues.
The 2015 had an aluminum body, a lighter V6 and a shorter wheelbase, towing my 24ft boat was wobbly and scary going down the road as was the trailer.
We no longer have the GD, and now have a Cherokee 39SR, it's a 43'er and would snap all my trucks in half. It was towed out with an F450 dually and it sits at the property never to be moved again.
But just today I towed the boat to the detailer with the 2022 and it felt better than the 2015 but still not as good as the 2011.
These trucks are strong for pulling but the aluminum body, lighter V6 and if you have the 5.5ft, really hurt towing heavy items, you will run out of tongue weight capacity before you run out of pulling capability.
To the OP, I would recommend looking up the specs of the GD 29TBS (I forgot them all) and see if the trailer your looking at comes close, if it does and you have a 143", I would really recommend sticking with the 5th wheel for better stability going down the road.

Sponsored

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Ummmm

Wait. Which propower to you have? You are the first I have read on this forum to start an RV AC with a 2000 watt propower. There was other threads and nobody was able start an AC. You stated 2 RV so I assume you have the 7.2kw which works perfectly fine. But the 2000 watt on the non. Hybrid is no good when you try to run high power items as it is know the voltage drops.

EDIT: I meant gas version is no good if you are tryign to run high power items.

Last edited:

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have seen this kind of misinformation on other forums. Ford should not have named the 7.2kW and 2.4kW using the term ProPower. In the trailer world 5kW difference is a big deal. 2.4kW is slightly more than a Honda 2200 portable generator.
Yeah I have the 2kw which is the gas version.

SaSurvival

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 with 2kw PPoB
Occupation
Technical trainer
Never had a problem with equipment under 1800w. We run a kettle, toaster at the same time, microwave on its own, heavy duty battery charger( 65amp output,) all sorts of rechargeable batteries, we charge our off-road trailer as we drive as well as a 140amp li-ion battery bank at the same time, using 2 low amp trickle chargers that support 2 12v fudges, we love our 2KW ppo.

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Never had a problem with equipment under 1800w. We run a kettle, toaster at the same time, microwave on its own, heavy duty battery charger( 65amp output,) all sorts of rechargeable batteries, we charge our off-road trailer as we drive as well as a 140amp li-ion battery bank at the same time, using 2 low amp trickle chargers that support 2 12v fudges, we love our 2KW ppo.
I cant remember the post on the forums but EVERYBODY was unable to power their AC even with the soft start. The first thing i bougth was the micro-air when i got my RV in 2021. Hooked it up to the RV and the AC FAN woudl turn on but the compressor never kicked on due to not enough juice.

Many stated durign testing that the voltage woudl drop underload down to 101V which is not good for electronics.

In my RV, i event turned off all the fuses except for the AC. I am also not able to power my microwave on a standalone. however the good news was iw as able to charge my RV 12V when it was down (draws around 400WATTS). And a leaf blower at 900WATTS.

I am very surprised you are able to the microwave. BUt AC i was the only reason why i got the 2Kw Propower. I couldnt get the Powerboost because of payload.

SaSurvival

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 with 2kw PPoB
Occupation
Technical trainer
Bit lengthy but these were are experiences, we did get a smaller microwave. It does struggle with our 5th wheel larger microwave.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
My mistake, i meant gas version. Hybrid version rocks at 7.2Kw
I would agree 100% WRT the "pro power" on the non hybrid models. Only 2.0Kw available and the ICE must run the entire time the 2.0 Kw is being used.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Yeah, what the powerboosts have (and lightnings) and the thing ford calls the 2.0kW system are worlds apart. You can run a decent welder on the 7.2kW PPOB, or charge an EV w/ out the truck caring. Solid voltage with a nice clean sinewave.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
So can you turn the ProPower off as default with Forscan or something? Seems like a waste to have that thing run all the time.
Sponsored