Differential Fluid Leak

2AActuary

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Plat, Bronco; Audi R8, S5, Q7; Cayenne
I brought my ‘21 F-150 Platinum (PowerBoost) into a local garage today to get an oil change. I’ve used this garage for various cars over the past 10+ years and never had much of an issue with them. I specifically didn’t take the truck to the dealership given a couple of recalls that I have on it. I’m taking a trip on Monday that I need the truck for and just didn’t want to ”deal” with anything at the dealership.

Anyway - the multipoint inspection indicated that I have a minor leak on my front differential and that my rear differential was also low. Here is where the info starts getting a little contradicting.

I indicated to them to just top off my levels and that I’d bring to the dealership after my trip. They said that they couldn’t top it off without flushing it. When I pushed further on that topic, they said “well, if we add any fluid to it, the fluid will just come directly out of the fill hole.” Sooooo, if that’s the case, then how is it considered low currently…?

Seems like a money grab to ”force” me into flushing both the front and back differentials. Any other opinions?

Truck is 14 months old; 19k miles.
Sponsored

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
I brought my ‘21 F-150 Platinum (PowerBoost) into a local garage today to get an oil change. I’ve used this garage for various cars over the past 10+ years and never had much of an issue with them. I specifically didn’t take the truck to the dealership given a couple of recalls that I have on it. I’m taking a trip on Monday that I need the truck for and just didn’t want to ”deal” with anything at the dealership.

Anyway - the multipoint inspection indicated that I have a minor leak on my front differential and that my rear differential was also low. Here is where the info starts getting a little contradicting.

I indicated to them to just top off my levels and that I’d bring to the dealership after my trip. They said that they couldn’t top it off without flushing it. When I pushed further on that topic, they said “well, if we add any fluid to it, the fluid will just come directly out of the fill hole.” Sooooo, if that’s the case, then how is it considered low currently…?

Seems like a money grab to ”force” me into flushing both the front and back differentials. Any other opinions?

I have never heard of flushing a diff and yes when you refill or top off then fluid comes out of the fill hole unless the manufacturer specifically mentions a certain amount or level in the unit .

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
^^ Flushing a diff is usually recommended every 75k miles.

Neither of the OP’s issues should be had on 19k vehicle.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Consumer protection is a low priority in many areas these days and while this is nothing new; expect it to become more prevalent and worse when it comes to upselling and downright unnecessary or dubious servicing.

The garage needs to pay the rent and saw you come in with a brand new vehicle, apparently, they feel justified to rip you off!

It’s also possible that they wouldn’t even do the service in the first place and just charge for it, had they been an ethical shop; they would have shown you the leak, documented it and told you to have it fixed under warranty at the dealership and to have the dealers service department call them if there are any questions.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

Hi there, Chris! This definitely doesn’t sound like the experience we want you to be having. If you'd like to, please send a private message to us with your VIN and the name & location of your dealer. I’d like to look into this for you. Thanks!

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
Sounds like a money grab to me, take a peak underneath yourself. If there are no visible leaks coming from the differentials then there is no way for the fluid to be leaking out and therefore should still be full inside. If they can’t show you where it’s leaking from tell them to pound sand and that you’ll have the dealership take a look at it since it’s under warranty. Independent shops are notorious for doing this that’s why I do maintenance myself now or take it to a dealership, I’ve had my fair share of bad experiences and scams. If it’s not the dealership telling you that something is wrong and the shop won’t show you what they are referring to (visible leak) I would be very skeptical.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
First, you don't flush a diff. You change the fluid - usually every 100k mi or so. Second, if it is leaking, it's usually easy to fix. I'd check it and, if it is, let the dealer do it under warranty. And third, to fill a diff, you take out the fill plug and add fluid until it reaches the bottom of the fill plug hole. Once it reaches the bottom and the excess starts dripping out, you stop adding and insert the fill plug. So if it is low, you can fill it to the bottom of the fill hole. And if it isn't then the fluid level should already be at the bottom of the fill hole. They said the fluid level is already there, so that means the level isn't low.

OP
OP

2AActuary

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Plat, Bronco; Audi R8, S5, Q7; Cayenne
First, you don't flush a diff. You change the fluid - usually every 100k mi or so. Second, if it is leaking, it's usually easy to fix. I'd check it and, if it is, let the dealer do it under warranty. And third, to fill a diff, you take out the fill plug and add fluid until it reaches the bottom of the fill plug hole. Once it reaches the bottom and the excess starts dripping out, you stop adding and insert the fill plug. So if it is low, you can fill it to the bottom of the fill hole. And if it isn't then the fluid level should already be at the bottom of the fill hole. They said the fluid level is already there, so that means the level isn't low.
Yep. My thoughts exactly. When I asked that specific question of “if you can’t top it off further, then how is it low”, they responses started making less and less sense. Screamed money grab.

Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Thieves.

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE

No. But I wouldn’t mix the rear diff Just get some ford syn gear oil and too it off. I don’t no whats in the front. Check owners manual.
Sponsored