Is my differential leaking?

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
2021 F150 4x4 2.7L engine, has about 35,000 kilometers on it. I had all the oil changes done at the dealer but I was overdue and they couldn't get it done when it was there for something else so I decided to do it myself. After changing the oil I decided to rotate the tires also and noticed this...is my differential leaking? No one mentioned an issue at the dealer and it has been there MANY times due to the OTA software issue

Ford F-150 Is my differential leaking? IMG_0834
Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Well... the fill plug is on the front nose of the differential, so I don't think it's the differential... The location appears to be right under the brake line routed above the pumpkin... Go look at the level of brake fluid in its reservoir and make sure it's not going down. If it isn't that... must be something kicked up off the road...

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
2021 F150 4x4 2.7L engine, has about 35,000 kilometers on it. I had all the oil changes done at the dealer but I was overdue and they couldn't get it done when it was there for something else so I decided to do it myself. After changing the oil I decided to rotate the tires also and noticed this...is my differential leaking? No one mentioned an issue at the dealer and it has been there MANY times due to the OTA software issue

IMG_0834.jpeg
Check if the bolts on that side are tight. They may be sightly loose and fluid is weeping past the gasket. Look and try to determine where the leak is. You can use carb cleaner to clean the diff cover .

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Good thought on the bolts... I did change my differential fluid. The gasket in it from the factory is a round rubber piece attached to a flat fiber part that the bolts go thru. So when torqued the rubber is compressed and even a light touch on the torqueing shoud still stop a leak. But at the end of the day: check those bolts tight.

ADKF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT 302A 2.7L
NewDeal99, did you ever figure out why your differential looks like this? I have a 2021 F150 2.7L with 28,000 miles and my rear differential looks nearly identical.

Sponsored

OP
OP

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
the dealer said something was leaking and took the cover off and sealed it better and put it back on and refilled the oil

KGB81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150
I am getting weeping on both sides of the rear pumpkin at the axles. Not too impressed since I was one of the '21 models with the extremely rusty differential right from the factory. Will see what dealer says when I am in for another issue.
Sponsored