Dash cam options?

MDPE

First Name
MD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
I really like that mounting option. Probably one of the cleanest I've seen. My only complain, and it's minor and fixable, is why the yellow and blue plugs?!?! Just make them black!
Did you buy and install? I assume you use a Covercraft/Husky front windshield cover, can you confirm?
Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Did you buy and install? I assume you use a Covercraft/Husky front windshield cover, can you confirm?
I have not bought it and I use a weather tech windshield sun screen (actually full car kit that has pieces for all 6 windows)

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Did you find that this adapter is ridiculously tight when inserting into the back of the mirror and the factory harness?
I still have not tried it, it is sitting the box. After a long shipping delay, I just got my truck the end of Dec and now it is sitting with the PPF installer.

Sponsored

Spidergears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I did not. Was a 20 second install for me, works flawless.
Not sure if mine has an issue, or if I’m just ocd. It gets really tight installing it, but it is doable. If i wanted to remove it, say because it went bad it whatever, it’s ridiculously hard to remove the adapter from the factory parts. I’m afraid I’m going to damage the factory harness.

The factory harness removes from the mirror without issue.

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
Can anyone confirm that the Dongar 16 pin adapter works on an XLT? Per Dongar's website, I need an auto dimming mirror, which they specify has buttons and/or Homelink. I do not have that style mirror - I'm reading that it only comes on upper level trims or XLT with 301A.....but I have the same connector they picture (16pin) and my mirror dims at night automatically via sensors in the front and back (but no buttons). I also have seen a few posts on this thread of folks with XLT trims that have used the adaptor.

Thanks for the clarification!

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Can anyone confirm that the Dongar 16 pin adapter works on an XLT? Per Dongar's website, I need an auto dimming mirror, which they specify has buttons and/or Homelink. I do not have that style mirror - I'm reading that it only comes on upper level trims or XLT with 301A.....but I have the same connector they picture (16pin) and my mirror dims at night automatically via sensors in the front and back (but no buttons). I also have seen a few posts on this thread of folks with XLT trims that have used the adaptor.

Thanks for the clarification!
I know it's not quite the same but mine is a 302A with the dimming mirror and this one works perfectly. Made for a simple fast install. As long as your truck has the harness with the connector for the dimming mirror you should be fine. Otherwise you might be able to pin out the leads for homelink to get power. Failing that it's not too difficult to pull the passenger side A-pillar to snake a power wire to the fuse panel and tie into the same circuit that would power the dimming mirror. I think it's fuse number 36 but I'd have to double check that.

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
I know it's not quite the same but mine is a 302A with the dimming mirror and this one works perfectly. Made for a simple fast install.
Thanks for the link.......that looks like the same connector Dongar says I don't have the correct mirror for lol

It looks to me like as long as I have the 16 pin connector that adapter will fix me up, now just need to wait until they're in stock!

Appreciate the response!

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Thanks for the link.......that looks like the same connector Dongar says I don't have the correct mirror for lol

It looks to me like as long as I have the 16 pin connector that adapter will fix me up, now just need to wait until they're in stock!

Appreciate the response!
On my 5th gen Ranger I tied the camera into the fuse block with this and snaked it up the driver's A-pillar and tucked it under the front lip of the headliner. Any wire kit like this will work for your camera. Only took about 15 minutes to install it on that truck. The hardest part was getting the wire down the dash. Had to use a short length of wire coat hanger and some electrical tape to guide it down. On the F150 the fuse panel is behind the passenger kick panel and the A-pillar grab handle needs to be unbolted first before the cover pate can be removed. You don't need to worry about the airbag as long as you dont route the wire in front of it. Just snake the wire along side the airbag and it will be fine.

Sponsored

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
On my 5th gen Ranger I tied the camera into the fuse block with this and snaked it up the driver's A-pillar. Any wire kit like this will work for your camera. Only took about 15 minutes to install it on that truck. The hardest part was getting the wire down the dash. On the F150 the fuse panel is behind the passender kick panel and the A-pillar grab handle needs to be unbolted first before the cover pate can be removed. You don't need to worry about the airbag as long as you dont route the wire in front of it. Just snake the wire along side the airbag and it will be fine.
Yep, I've investigated that far already, sounds very doable but I also like the simplicity of the mirror adapter. I don't even have a camera purchased yet so still exploring what route I'll end up taking. I like the hardwire method for recording while parked, so I guess right now I'm just gathering info.

Appreciate your help, thanks!

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Yep, I've investigated that far already, sounds very doable but I also like the simplicity of the mirror adapter. I don't even have a camera purchased yet so still exploring what route I'll end up taking. I like the hardwire method for recording while parked, so I guess right now I'm just gathering info.

Appreciate your help, thanks!
The Dongar adapter is by far the easiest method, but others are not much more difficult with the way Ford put these trucks together. As for dash cams, I have this one and it works great. I like it for the small size because it tucks up in front of the mirror perfectly, and that you can disable the startup sound. Makes it so dealership techs don't notice it and unplug it when they service the truck. Video quality is very good for both day/night recording too. Very clear image and plates and street signs are clearly legibale.

If you have not seen the video on dash cams by Linus Tech Tips posted here https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/dash-cam-options.1157/page-8#post-250849 it's worth a view. He has some insightful findings about them.

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
The Dongar adapter is by far the easiest method, but others are not much more difficult with the way Ford put these trucks together. As for dash cams, I have this one and it works great. I like it for the small size because it tucks up in front of the mirror perfectly, and that you can disable the startup sound. Makes it so dealership techs don't notice it and unplug it when they service the truck. Video quality is very good for both day/night recording too. Very clear image and plates and street signs are clearly legibale.

If you have not seen the video on dash cams by Linus Tech Tips posted here https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/dash-cam-options.1157/page-8#post-250849 it's worth a view. He has some insightful findings about them.
That link isn't working, what model/brand is it?

I just saw a prior post you have with pictures of your install in this thread......I have the same rear view mirror as you and I see you used the Dongar mirror adapter, so more evidence I should be good to go there.......I like how incognito your camera is!