Cummins fined $1 Billion, Ram recalls 1M trucks [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Cummins and Stellantis have been busted for using defeat devices for emissions from 2013 to current on 2500 and 3500 series trucks. I have been saying this for a while, Diesel is going away all together in consumer trucks very soon. The mandated (by law) reflash will sap diesel owners of horsepower and torque they paid for to bring it into compliance.

https://www.reuters.com/business/au...out-204-bln-charge-fourth-quarter-2023-12-22/
Sponsored

LCF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150
Occupation
Union Laborer
#makedeleteslegalagain

funny how the company I work for ….largest heavy highway contractor in NJ … just bought several ZERO EMISSIONS EQUIPT pieces of machinery…. oh…they all had plaques in the engine compartment that stated they were built for the US gov’t….. These machines run a minimum of 8 hours a day , sometimes 24 hours a day, for day and night crews … several days a week.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Hmm, I’d be curious to see what exactly the emissions limits are vs what Cummins engines were actually putting out.

I’ll never forget when VW got caught using special software for emissions testing, the founding researcher stated that VW diesels were putting out 40x the legal limit of (whatever specific emission was being scrutinized). BUT the same researcher that discovered this said the legal limit of emissions is so low, that even at 40x the legal limit, the amount of emissions was still (essentially) zero.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
#makedeleteslegalagain

funny how the company I work for ….largest heavy highway contractor in NJ … just bought several ZERO EMISSIONS EQUIPT pieces of machinery…. oh…they all had plaques in the engine compartment that stated they were built for the US gov’t….. These machines run a minimum of 8 hours a day , sometimes 24 hours a day, for day and night crews … several days a week.
I’m working on a massive construction site right now building an automotive battery plant. The amount of diesel fuel burned here on a daily basis would make people’s heads explode. I don’t know the actual amount of fuel used, but you can’t convince me it’s less than 10,000 gallons per day on this site, based on how much heavy equipment is used. That’s a lot of emissions being created building batteries for zero emissions vehicles. Almost like the batteries will (probably) never offset those emissions

Sponsored

BUDXR7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT 302A PB SCREW 4X4
I’m working on a massive construction site right now building an automotive battery plant. The amount of diesel fuel burned here on a daily basis would make people’s heads explode. I don’t know the actual amount of fuel used, but you can’t convince me it’s less than 10,000 gallons per day on this site, based on how much heavy equipment is used. That’s a lot of emissions being created building batteries for zero emissions vehicles. Almost like the batteries will (probably) never offset those emissions
This reminds me of the (I think is Kansas maybe?) the battery plant being built that has a co-located coal power plant because it takes so much energy to produce the batteries. Lol.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
.... coal power plant because it takes so much energy to produce the batteries. Lol.
I'm sure I'm getting coal for Christmas again this year.
I'm going to give all my coal to the plants so they can power Teslas and other EVs... Y'know, to help the environment...

darkhorse

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
retired
I had a VW Jetta Wagon, with the TDI engine and DCT transmission. I loved that car... and amazing, I towed a lot with it. I reluctantly took VW's recall buyback offer.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
It's all in the interest of saving money on each vehicle rolling off the line. Extra parts to make them emissions compliant would quickly add to cost of each vehicle.

Doesn't help diesel reputation when we have the people forcing trucks to make a bunch of black smoke "because it looks cool." It really isn't as dirty as people might think when proper emission controls are in place.

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
Hmm, I’d be curious to see what exactly the emissions limits are vs what Cummins engines were actually putting out.

I’ll never forget when VW got caught using special software for emissions testing, the founding researcher stated that VW diesels were putting out 40x the legal limit of (whatever specific emission was being scrutinized). BUT the same researcher that discovered this said the legal limit of emissions is so low, that even at 40x the legal limit, the amount of emissions was still (essentially) zero.
Exactly the issue. The admin agencies have set the thresholds so artificially low that they are impossible to meet.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Caterpillar stopped making road going engines because they stated the return on investment was not there, and the risk/reward ratio was not favorable with the newer regulations.

Eighthtry

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
The positive to being a bad boy and getting coal in my stocking is that it can be ground up and mixed with gasoline for a real boost. Then one can add a K&N filter for another 50 hp ad 100 ft/lbs of torque.

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.
Speaking of coal, my dad worked for a strip mine here in central IL up till the early eighties when they shut it down.

I was always confused about the fact that the grade of coal they mined couldn't be burned here in Illinois but it was OK to ship it by train to other power plants out west for them to burn.

We all still use the same air right??? Must be a filter installed or something? Maybe that's what the Mississippi river is for?

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
They had a lot of issues with the Ecodiesel as well a d the update stripped it of power and drivability.

I am 100% sure they knew they were skirting some rules and some gray area. Not sure where GM and Ford land with their diesels but even before Stellantis, Ram was a big offender and the Ford / GM non compliances were far smaller.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
#makedeleteslegalagain

yes isn't that weird
US govt can spew but we get DPFS

i would really like to know how, what and when with these engines.

did they tweak something to be right on the edge of permissible, and then they spew to much after on hour?
the dpf, scr stuff is touchy and IMO not really needed with other ways to reduce the soot crime

did you know when water is sprayed down stream of the exhaust but still in the HOT zone, it cleans the dpf and eliminates the DEF fluid... costs about 20 cents a gallon or less
its mixed with low percent of methanol
but thats a whole nuther discussion

i really want to know what was defeated at cummins and or all the gory details.

its seems very very ODD indeed
Sponsored