Sponsored

Console Shifter stuck in D [SOLVED]

Highway 11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XLT Sport 2.7L
Just wondering if anyone has had this issue.

I have the console shifter on my 2023. When I drive for a bit then go to shift out of D (e.g. to R to back into a spot or P to park) the shifter release won't unlock the shifter despite being pressed. I end up pushing the console shifter forward to its maximum travel in the D position (why there's slop in a shifter I don't know...) as a result. I have to hit the shifter release button again to get it to release. This only happens when I haven't touched the shifter in a bit - if I shift back to D immediately after shifting out of it, the shifter release button is instantaneous.

UPDATE: The problem was me. I start pushing on the shifter before hitting the release, which causes it to not shift, I believe to protect itself from wear. Modifying how I physically shift fixed the issue.

UPDATE 2: So... it wasn't me. Dealership can't track down the problem and has it back in for service this week.

UPDATE 3: The dealership has ordered a new shifter but it's coming from across the country.

UPDATE 4/CONCLUSION: The issue was a low/faulty 12V battery causing the shifter to work sluggishly and inconsistently, among other modules in the truck. A new battery went in and the shifter has worked like it should for several days now. Shifter replacement not needed.
Sponsored

Last edited:

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Thanks! Good to know

TJE

First Name
Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150 xlt

I have the console shifter on my 2023. When I drive for a bit then go to shift out of D (e.g. to R to back into a spot or P to park) the shifter release won't unlock the shifter despite being pressed. I end up pushing the console shifter forward to its maximum travel in the D position (why there's slop in a shifter I don't know...) as a result. I have to hit the shifter release button again to get it to release. This only happens when I haven't touched the shifter in a bit - if I shift back to D immediately after shifting out of it, the shifter release button is instantaneous.

UPDATE: The problem was me. I start pushing on the shifter before hitting the release, which causes it to not shift, I believe to protect itself from wear. Modifying how I physically shift fixed the issue.

View attachment 97776
Haha I did the same thing. Only going from park into drive/reverse. I was putting pressure on the shifter before pressing the button.....you are not alone.

OP
OP
Highway 11

Highway 11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Staring at the shifter for the better part of an hour and messing with it really gave me an appreciation for it. The slop I used to complain about in the shifter is actually a graduated force as you get closer to the detent for the next gear smoothing out the shift. There's no slop when pushing forward on the shifter in P or pulling back on the shifter in D - just between gears. It's certainly better than some of the other shifters out there (*cough* Chevrolet Tahoe)

Went for a drive last night and it shifted like butter. Not the first time I've gone to complain about something only to realize I was the issue (just ask my wife, she'll give you all the examples)

OP
OP
Highway 11

Highway 11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So... it wasn't me. Shifter last week got stuck in drive. Had to hit the shift release button a few times before it released. Went to the dealership, couldn't replicate it. Today I came home from a 12 hour shift and the shifter remained stuck in drive. I had to shake it and hit the release button several times before the shifter would leave drive.

I have another appointment with the dealership this Thursday. They think it's something to do with the vehicle after it's been left parked and off for an extended period so they're going to let it sit for the day then try and replicate the issue. I really hope they change the shifter out before I get stranded somewhere. But if they can't replicate the issue (it comes and goes randomly) I'm not sure what the next step is.

Anyone have advice or has been through this before? This vehicle has been in for more CSP/recall/warranty issues than any vehicle I've owned before so I'm getting extremely concerned about it's long term prospects.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Haha I did the same thing. Only going from park into drive/reverse. I was putting pressure on the shifter before pressing the button.....you are not alone.
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
Machine Designer - Ford Motor Co.

UPDATE 2: So... it wasn't me. Dealership can't track down the problem and has it back in for service this week.
if it the "folding" shifter, its a P.O.S.! there's a TSB on the shifter. Last year mine brole and left me stranded. Had it towed to dealer, printed out the TSB and took it to them. They ended up replacing the entire shifter "module"

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
if it the "folding" shifter, its a P.O.S.! there's a TSB on the shifter. Last year mine brole and left me stranded. Had it towed to dealer, printed out the TSB and took it to them. They ended up replacing the entire shifter "module"
This.

the Chevy Tahoe buttons would be a blessing compared to this.

just had mine replaced hopefully this one will last

OP
OP
Highway 11

Highway 11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Today was a rough day for the shifter so I got three videos of the shifter sticking in drive. Showed the dealer and they've ordered a new gear shift.. but it's coming from across the country. In the meantime the shifter still shifts and unsticks if I hit the button a second time.

UPDATE: See original post for resolution. Shifter was not the problem - a low/defective 12V battery was.
Sponsored

Last edited: