Sponsored

2.7L EcoBoost Changed my own oil for first time - 2.7 ecoboost not taking whole 6 quarts

OP
OP

leecm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 2.7l 4x4 502a 3.73 in Space White
Way to go Lee! Just below the top mark on the dipstick when level and cold is what I aim for. The oil pan and pump can manage fine a little over or under hence the “window” etched into the stick. Manage the flow of used oil the best you can and give it time to drain. I put the new filter on before re-installing the drain plug bolt.
Thanks for the input and encouragement!
Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Yeah, but I'm wondering if it is slightly obstructed. When I opened it, it wasn't a completely open hole. It has some plastic inside it. Was I supposed to stick something in it beforehand to make the opening wider?
Typically there is nothing you need to do. Possibly some leftover plastic from the mold. Get a look at it after you recycle the oil to see the hole isn't blocked.

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
Good for you stepping out of your comfort zone and getting this done!

Your truck’s normal stance on level ground is how the dealer would be letting it drain on the hoist. Trying to get every last drop out before refilling is splitting hairs.

I’ve always looked to the manual for oil capacity with drain and filter change and that’s what I put back in after the drips slow in frequency. You have a grey area plus or minus that won’t harm anything, but within reason. This isn’t the James Webb!

If you continue to do this yourself you’ll discover there are lots of tricks and devices that will make it easier, less messy, and more efficient. An oil drain valve helps a lot - but your motor has a plastic oil drain pan and due diligence is important if you go that route.

Oil brand is a rabbit hole. Use decent stuff, a good filter (and you did both) -and change it every 5k or so and your truck will be better maintained than many on the road.

Cheers!

Newman

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 lariat fx4 star white tow mirrors tow.
Occupation
Farmer
By hash mark, do you mean the line at the end of the crosshatch pattern closest to the 'MAX' hole? Looking at online pictures, apparently that represents the nominal fill line? Not sure what that means. Should I be aiming for that line or the actual hole in the dipstick that represents maximum?
Yes close to max hole. Basically after your done and have ran it a little as long as it's in the hash marks and not overfilled you should be good

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
Good on you!

Don‘t sweat the half a quart, it’s not uncommon to not get exactly the full specified amount out during an oil change, for a variety of reasons, ranging from that it wasn’t full to begin with to oil retained in recesses of the engine.

Sponsored

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
Good for you on doing your own oil change! I typically go to a dealer, but lately my schedule hasn’t exactly allowed for that so I did mine a couple of weeks ago. As for the hiccups? We all spill a little oil and it sucks, but the upside is that you know that you need a different catch pan and will be prepared for the potential mess. Bravo!!

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
The valve drain plug makes changing the oil myself faster than driving the truck to Russell Smith, even though it's maybe 10 minutes each way. AND I have to remove the front skid plate to get at the oil filter.

EDIT: everyone else already gave the same advice. But it's still good advice.

Last edited:

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
The valve drain plug makes changing the oil myself faster than driving the truck to Russell Smith, even though it's maybe 10 minutes each way. AND I have to remove the front skid plate to get at the oil filter.
2.7 thread, our filters are on top of engine because Ford engineers like us more. 😛🤣

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
2.7 thread, our filters are on top of engine because Ford engineers like us more. 😛🤣
I actually like the location of the 3.5 oil filter. I was not a fan at first, but you can get your hand on it fairly easily and the mini funnel beneath it actually catches the few drips. The advantage is that apart from those few drips, you can tilt the filter up pretty easily and spill very little oil.

Globally, the 2.7/3.0 is an amazing engine and is built like a tank. The bottom end seems like it's designed for 1k HP. My only issue with them is that I saw a YT channel tear down a 2.7 from an F150 and was extremely disappointed to see that it uses a wet belt to drive the oil pump. It's like an M1 Abrams with the frontal armor replaced with a sheet of 1/4" plexiglass: a monster with an absolutely critical weakness that can and will kill the whole thing. Ford could fix this for $10, and it's an absolute shame.

Reactions: PPK

Sponsored

PPK

First Name
PPK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 502A, 1947 CJ2A, WK2 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
I actually like the location of the 3.5 oil filter. I was not a fan at first, but you can get your hand on it fairly easily and the mini funnel beneath it actually catches the few drips. The advantage is that apart from those few drips, you can tilt the filter up pretty easily and spill very little oil.

Globally, the 2.7/3.0 is an amazing engine and is built like a tank. The bottom end seems like it's designed for 1k HP. My only issue with them is that I saw a YT channel tear down a 2.7 from an F150 and was extremely disappointed to see that it uses a wet belt to drive the oil pump. It's like an M1 Abrams with the frontal armor replaced with a sheet of 1/4" plexiglass: a monster with an absolutely critical weakness that can and will kill the whole thing. Ford could fix this for $10, and it's an absolute shame.
Cog Belts are okay.. if they don't get hot, are completely clean, perfect tension, low RPM and have large circumference sprockets.

This is not really the environment in a 300 degree oil bath with 6000 rpm.... no they won't last like a chain... i missed the downgrade of the engine.. so next time i will do a GM 5.3 even though it is a gas hog.. i want simplity and i don't like all the chains.. but i really don't want any belts.

and i did my timing belt change in a parking lot with a ford 2.3 once all ready. a weak link. and yes i saw the video you referenced on the 2.7 teardown. My 2.3 timing belt did not look much worse.. teeth stripped off.. that can happen too.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
I don't have the 2.7, but the first time I drained the oil, I forgot to remove the oil fill cap, and everything worked very smoothly. The initial burst of oil was fairly subdued. The second time, I remembered to remove the oil fill cap before draining the oil, and the oil came gushing out making a big mess since I was expecting what I saw during the first oil change. From now on, I'm leaving the oil fill cap on until after the oil has started draining.

This was only my second time changing oil on an F150, but I've probably done about 50 oil changes previously on various vehicles. I now have a Fumoto valve on my F150, so the next oil change should be very easy. I've used Fumoto valves for years now, and found them to work flawlessly.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I agree, I honestly thought they redesigned the oil filter location after my old first generation until seeing recent photos.
I learned early on how to spin and flip it up with minimal spill then just mop up the little bit in the tray. :)

gpad53

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, XLT, Sport, carbonized gray metallic
Occupation
Retired IBEW
Our 2.7 holds oil in upper engine for a long time. Helps keep things lubed for the auto stop/start feature. Takes at least 15 minutes to fully drain. I give it 1/2 an hour. Put on a jersey glove and a XL rubber glove over it and hold that yellow plug at a bit of an angle at the hole
and meter the flow. Takes about 3 minutes.

mazeppa

First Name
Y = X/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 XL F150 2.7 4x4 RCLB
Fumoto isn't an option for plastic oil pans.

We have Ronin adapter or UPR makes multiple varieties. You can order either on Amazon. I just bought the UPR for my truck. The video shows removing it to clean on oil changes which the Ronin does not demo at all.

https://roninfactory.com/products/ford-f150-raptor-oil-drain-ronin-factory

https://www.uprproducts.com/upr-for...for-mustang-f150-raptor-edge-explorer-bronco/
Thanks, wish I knew of these earlier when I did my first oil change on my 2.7. I'll have one ready for the next oil change.

I save large pieces of cardboard to lay all around where my oil may spill/splash during an oil change, BTDT too many times.
Sponsored