Sponsored

Oil change opinions, and scheduling first maintenance visit for new 2023 4x4 Supercrew 2.7L Ecoboost

tuqqer

First Name
tuqqer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 4x4 Supercrew
Occupation
CEO
Truck dummy here, and scheduling my first maintenance check on my truck now that I have 8,500 miles on it. I figured going to the Ford dealer for this first one is a good idea, just to make sure everything is going well, and I don't have a loose screw somewhere (other than my brain). I presume they go through a thorough first-visit process.

Wondering if other F150 folks (that don't change their own oil) use their local Jiffy Lube-type places, or if you go every time to your Ford dealer. I know the price difference is big, and with past vehicles, I've always used the oil change places.

Thanks for any opinions.
Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I change mine. I think you should change it as soon as possible after delivery just to get out as much manufacturing debris as possible. Keep in mind that JiffyLube will put in the cheapest oil they can. You might go to your Ford Dealer and take with you the oil you want put in. That'll save you some markup pricing.

OP
OP

tuqqer

First Name
tuqqer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 4x4 Supercrew
Occupation
CEO
Thanks, GV. What oil are you using for your truck? I'm thinking the same these days on non-dealer oil changes, give the high cost of trucks these days. The risk isn't worth it.

I lived for a few years in the area around Rawlins. Used to love going to Saratoga for dinner at the Wolf hotel and then a soak in the natural "hobo pool" hot springs.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Truck dummy here, and scheduling my first maintenance check on my truck now that I have 8,500 miles on it. I figured going to the Ford dealer for this first one is a good idea, just to make sure everything is going well, and I don't have a loose screw somewhere (other than my brain). I presume they go through a thorough first-visit process.

Wondering if other F150 folks (that don't change their own oil) use their local Jiffy Lube-type places, or if you go every time to your Ford dealer. I know the price difference is big, and with past vehicles, I've always used the oil change places.

Thanks for any opinions.
I take my truck to the dealer. Do the Works for about $65, every 5K miles since I tow a lot. Synthetic Blend Motorcraft 5W-30.

Sponsored

Ronin1973

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 XLT FX SuperCrew 4x4 3.5 Race Red
I changed mine out at 500 miles, then every 5,000 after that. I currently use Valvoline Extended Protection Full Synthetic 5w30 and a Motorcraft filter. I have used Quaker State Full Synthetic, too. Both have a lot of Moly.

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
Don't do Jiffy lube etc.

I go to a local auto mechanic and have them do it. Pennzoil Ultra Plat.

Fab_r6

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 xlt fx4 3.5 ecoboost
I take my truck to the dealer. Do the Works for about $65, every 5K miles since I tow a lot. Synthetic Blend Motorcraft 5W-30.
Agree with this. The works in California for synthetic blend is around 85 to 95 Do not do juffy lub. I seen people leave there paying over 200

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
You should be getting ready to do the THIRD oil change my guy! Go to the dealership and let them do the basic oil change without tire rotation. It should be around $70+/- a few bucks. These dealerships always have promotions. Visit their website and sign up for alerts. There is really no reason for you to go elsewhere...unless you are a DIY'er.

Dale B

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150(on order), SL500, S430, Boxster, 930, CJ5
Occupation
Retired
Decades ago Volvo was known for their longevity and the first oil change was included in the purchase price. Volvo insisted that the first oil change be made after 1200 miles and before 2000. The reason for wanting to 1200 miles was to allow enough break in to allow the early ware to be done but before the 2000 mile mark to remove any particles of metal before damage could be done. The recommended first change was recommended at 1500 miles to keep the warranty and they thought enough of their research to pay for it. They put their money where their mouth was and I respect that. Since my first Volvo in 1980, I have always made the first oil change at 1500 miles.
I am old enough to remember that oil changes should be made at 3000 mile intervals. I also remember that at that time oil filters were an option on most cars and that oil pans held four quarts and the only oil available was straight weight, 30 weight in the summer and 20 weight in the winter. I also remember how poor the manufacturing tolerances were during that time. I also remember that the gasoline in that day continued metal and that the blow by continued all sorts of nasty that contaminates the oil and reduced the useful life of the oil. The old recommended oil change recommendations of 3 to 5 thousand miles are totally outdated.
The modern manufacturing processes, materials, and oil technology far surpasses the old automobiles from the 50’s and 60’s when the old 3 to 5 thousand mile oil change was needed.

The current recommendation of 10 thousand miles is pretty much universal among modern manufacturers. Oil pans hold 8 to 10 quarts and the Manufactures supply oil coolers and systems to provide longevity. I have had a number of aluminum OHC V8s that I have put over 300 thousand miles on with 10 thousand mile oil changes intervals and never had to add oil between oil changes.

I will change the oil on my new F150 rcsb 4x4 5.0 at 1500 miles and at 10 thousand mile intervals after that. I will use Mobile 1 .Just like I have on my Mercedes and Porsches before.

Sponsored

Eighthtry

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
I have put over 200,000 miles on several cars/trucks. My latest is a 2011 GMC Yukon Denali XL 6.2 with 203,000 miles. I also had a 2010 Cadillac CTS V 6.2 supercharged with 240,000 miles.

I use Amsoil Signature Series 5/30 in all but one of my cars. I use Amsoil oil filters in all of my cars.

I change first oil and filter at 1,000 miles. Next up is a filter at 5,000 miles. Next is oil change and filter at 10,000 miles. Next is filter at 15,000 miles. Oil and Filter at 20,000 miles, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera (to quote Yul Brynner in The King and I).

Nothing I have owned in the last 50 years has used oil except my 74 Olds Cutlass Salon 455 (Amsoil 20/50), but that is my fault. Too much build. Too much heat. My 323,000 mile 90 Taurus SHO and 345,000 mile 1985 Chevy Suburban began to use a quart every 10,000 miles toward the end. I forgave them for that.

One thing about my cars. They do primarily freeway/highway miles. I do not baby them. If they need exercise they get it. I found out my supercharched Z06 and CTS V need their collective butts kicked quite a bit, which I willingly did/do because.......well...... it is fun. Had the CTS V at 170 mph before I ran out of room. So far the Z06 has only been to 140 mph. I just don't get to that one way bridge over Lake Ray Hubbard as often as I once did.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I believe an early oil change, engine, transmission, transfer case, & axles is important. Like it or not there is much "stuff" floating around inside things from the manufacturing process. That description of the Volvo requirement tells the story. As to life of the oil, I run chemistry analysis and let that tell me when to change the oil. My F150 seems to be tending toward 10,000 to 12,000 miles based on Boron additive and TBN depletion. I use AmsOil.

OP
OP

tuqqer

First Name
tuqqer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 4x4 Supercrew
Occupation
CEO
thank you all. Sounds like I should've done my first oil change at 1k, and the reasons make sense. Oh well, hope all works out. We do baby this truck, and use it mainly for highway driving, no off road, no 4 wheel. 80% of the reason I purchased it is because a truck is the only thing I can fit in (I'm 6'8").

I'm also surprised to hear that the large majority of you use synthetic oil. I'm surprised that Ford didn't have synthetic to start with, and that my dealer replaced it with standard oil. When I was paying afterwards and asked which they prefer, they didn't have an opinion either way. But from here on out, I will choose synthetic. I wonder if they'll let me bring in my own oil each time.

Last, I'm surprised how there's still quite a difference in opinion on how often oil should be changed, ranging from 3k to 10k. I think I'll opt for the middle and do oil changes at 5k.

Thanks again for all these examples and experiences. Very useful.
Sponsored