2.7 Oil Catch Can?

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I saw a road and track article where they recommended it. The issue they are said to solve is a buildup of oil in the intake manifold. The idea is that your crankcase ventilation can include some oil mist that gets pulled into the intake and doesn’t get consumed so it builds up over the years.

I haven’t used one myself but it sounds like a valid point and since I ordered the 5.0 that shuts down cylinders I could imagine that having potential for buildup hypothetically.

As long as there is no warranty impact I will probably be trying one out myself. Whether or not it will make an actual difference is probably more antidotal.

jabenoja

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2.7L Ecoboost XLT
I've watched a lot of videos of it and read some stuffs online as well. It does make a lot of sense to have an oil catch can installed but I haven't seen one reviewed during winter.

dhectorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Occupation
IT
Considering the relatively low cost of the JLT unit, it's cheap insurance in my opinion. As long as you keep it emptied, it certainly can't hurt anything. I have a XLT Supercab 2.7 ecoboost on order and a catch can will be the very 1st thing I do to it, although I may go with a more advanced model that captures the CCV (driver) side in addition to the PVC (passenger) side. The JLT only captures the passenger side, but that side does most of the work. Capturing the CCV side is considered overkill by some, but I plan to keep my truck for 20+ years so it's worth the added cost to me.

JDwornik

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I've watched a lot of videos of it and read some stuffs online as well. It does make a lot of sense to have an oil catch can installed but I haven't seen one reviewed during winter.

That's because they recommend removing it in the winter months if it gets below freezing.

Sponsored

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
That's because they recommend removing it in the winter months if it gets below freezing.
Most recommend dumping it bi-weekly in the winter, not removing it. It's mostly oil and fuel, it doesn't freeze at 32/0. They're a video on youtube of a guy dumping one at -20 and it's not frozen. Yes, the mix may freeze, but your 212° engine bay will melt it. Catch cans typically catch WAY more in the winter than the summer.

ColemanFord

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Purchasing Manager

JDwornik

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Most recommend dumping it bi-weekly in the winter, not removing it. It's mostly oil and fuel, it doesn't freeze at 32/0. They're a video on youtube of a guy dumping one at -20 and it's not frozen. Yes, the mix may freeze, but your 212° engine bay will melt it. Catch cans typically catch WAY more in the winter than the summer.
Actually, here in Michigan I have seen many of them freeze up over winter. Also seen it cause issues sincerely takes awhile to unfreeze..

You are correct, it does catch way more in the winter time. But guess what?? It’s due to condensation caused by the engine being cold, getting up to temp and then cooling off again.

TruckGuy2020

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military
Considering the relatively low cost of the JLT unit, it's cheap insurance in my opinion. As long as you keep it emptied, it certainly can't hurt anything. I have a XLT Supercab 2.7 ecoboost on order and a catch can will be the very 1st thing I do to it, although I may go with a more advanced model that captures the CCV (driver) side in addition to the PVC (passenger) side. The JLT only captures the passenger side, but that side does most of the work. Capturing the CCV side is considered overkill by some, but I plan to keep my truck for 20+ years so it's worth the added cost to me.
Which one did you end up getting? I’ve seen the JLT PVC one is popular, but haven’t seen too many dual can setups referenced on this forum.