Sponsored

Can we talk about License Plate holder locations, Shutters & aftermarket Intercoolers?

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
Hey guys, I'm pretty close to ending up with a little RV trailer and we'll be towing to the beach mostly and it's rather hot here in CTX (Central Texas). This has gotten me more interested in maintaining my power while towing, preventing knock, etc.

So a few questions for those that know:

1) Any measurable improvement in just relocating the front license plate? Is it possible this alone could provide say 25% of the improvement of an aftermarket CAC (Charge Air Cooler)? I'm doing it anyways, but just curious has anyone been able to document anything at all with just this change?
2) The shutters on these things, I get it, it's for MPG. Is my Livernois tune holding these open now? What's the strategy? Should they be removed or is it still best to have them closed, say under steady state driving with no load in cold weather? Once again, I'm Livernois tuned.
3) Lastly, CAC's. I'm quite considering purchasing one. What's the difference between the 2-3 brands? Is one functionally better or are they all the same but one cost less?

Please share everything you guys know on this topic.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
Doesn't appear there is much information on this topic being shared. Bummer.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
Let it breathe easy :)

Ford F-150 Can we talk about License Plate holder locations, Shutters & aftermarket Intercoolers? 1715279004764-o1

You're the first I've seen to ask about such data collection. I reached in and yanked them out.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
Well here is what I settled on for my license plate location. To me it was not only free but just plain looks better.
Ford F-150 Can we talk about License Plate holder locations, Shutters & aftermarket Intercoolers? 20240511_172257

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 F-150 XL 4x4 RCSB Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired USAF Medic
Last edited:

nitrobass24

Threads
Reaction score
Website
redboxplus.com
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum PB
Occupation
Roll offs and Porta-Potties
Could just take your front plate off. I havent run one in Texas for nearly 20 years and its only been issue one time and I got a warning for it.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
Could just take your front plate off. I havent run one in Texas for nearly 20 years and its only been issue one time and I got a warning for it.
"The F150 front plate mount isn't secure, I think someone stole it" :angel:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
Different strokes for different folks.

I don't like the placement of the tow hook mounted plates as they stick out oddly, off center, with a gap, and can't go through my car wash.

The OEM location was out because intercooler performance matters to me.

So that left the windshield or my choice. My choice is easily reversible but I rather like the way it came out so it's staying.

Regarding just running without a plate, no thanks. I spent my youth getting pulled over & ticketed for preventable items (including missing front plates many times) and I'd rather not give the police any excuse to pull me over. God forbid I had a beer with my dinner that night. No thanks.

OP
OP

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
Let it breathe easy :)

1715279004764-o1.png

You're the first I've seen to ask about such data collection. I reached in and yanked them out.
No unbolting or anything? Literally just grabbed them and tore them out?

Could you tell any difference?

thx.

Xman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ram 1500, 2024 F150 Lariat on order
Well here is what I settled on for my license plate location. To me it was not only free but just plain looks better.
20240511_172257.jpg
Suns, I like what you did but I cannot tell from the picture how you secured it. Did you reuse the factory holder? Can you provide more details? Thanks.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Suns, I like what you did but I cannot tell from the picture how you secured it. Did you reuse the factory holder? Can you provide more details? Thanks.
I was wondering the same thing.

OP
OP

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
All I did was trimmed the top edge of the license plate, about a 1/4" off, where it has a little stamped edge. I'll probably pull it back off and trim all of the entire edge off all around since it doesn't do anything as I no longer have a holder.
The truck comes with a plastic valence / spoiler and I just drilled two holes in it and used hardware to screw the plate to it. The holes are so high that if I changed my mind you wouldn't see them anyways.
Sponsored