Sponsored

Can the Heated Steering Wheel stay Hot?

J44snk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502a Long Box PB F150, 2016 Kia Sorento
I suffer from a mild case of Raynaud's Disease, where my hands are like ice all the time - especially in the winter.
When I start my 2022 502a truck, the heated steering wheel is 10/10 for heat, then as I drive it gets cooler and cooler, ending up Luke warm (if that).

Is there a way to stop it auto adjusting and have it stay hot all the time?
Sponsored

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
There is a 4 wire connector coming from the wheel to the clock spring and they are ultimately connected to the steering column control module "turn signal switch". 2 of the wires make the heating loop, and the other 2 are from the wheels embedded thermal sensor. The temperature is controlled by the sccm. I believe the default setting in the sccm is 85f and it should hold that temp consistently. I think it is possible to change this value in forscan to a higher temperature. Check livinitup's forscan spreadsheet under sccm settings. I would be careful about setting it to high as it could damage the leather wrap or adhesives holding the wrap on.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
The OEM shut off timer is 10 mins. It can be defeated with as build change. I also believe there is another setting that needs to be changed I’ve dealt with this on mine. It is hot then cools off. It hasn’t been cold yet here so I was waiting until it does cool if to test and see what I find out :

Newman

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 lariat fx4 star white tow mirrors tow.
Occupation
Farmer
It definitely gets warm then cools off in my opinion. Would shutting it off and turning it back on make it get warmer again? I have a 22 explorer and that heated steering wheel gets warmer and stays warmer than the f150.

Sponsored

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
Yep, for the most part, you can adjust the timer to unlimited (no auto shut off) then also adjust the temperature as well. There is definitely a threshold where it warms up, stops warming to a certain point then warms back up again. Like any electric heater pretty much. You need Forscan to adjust the settings. I have mine set to unlimited and its niceee! Turns back on automatically every time I start my truck up and stays on until I manually turn it off.

Ford F-150 Can the Heated Steering Wheel stay Hot? 1668053248175

RocketFistMooga

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat Sport Powerboost.
It definitely gets warm then cools off in my opinion. Would shutting it off and turning it back on make it get warmer again? I have a 22 explorer and that heated steering wheel gets warmer and stays warmer than the f150.
This is my thought. Will try on mine. Not ideal but you could just toggle the switch when you perceive it getting too cold.

OP
OP
J44snk

J44snk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502a Long Box PB F150, 2016 Kia Sorento
Yep, for the most part, you can adjust the timer to unlimited (no auto shut off) then also adjust the temperature as well. There is definitely a threshold where it warms up, stops warming to a certain point then warms back up again. Like any electric heater pretty much. You need Forscan to adjust the settings. I have mine set to unlimited and its niceee! Turns back on automatically every time I start my truck up and stays on until I manually turn it off.

1668053248175.png
This is great info, I’m in the process of getting a laptop for Forscan, once I have this - I’ll look into these settings.

Thank you

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer

1668053248175.png
I went into FORScan to do this today and to my surprise my 2022 Tremor is already set to B0, 35 degrees and no auto shutoff. I guess I just really feel it when the stops warming for a bit, I wish it stayed on longer before that stopping warming part.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I went into FORScan to do this today and to my surprise my 2022 Tremor is already set to B0, 35 degrees and no auto shutoff. I guess I just really feel it when the stops warming for a bit, I wish it stayed on longer before that stopping warming part.
Hmm, it makes me wonder if there is some override in the programming that completely ignores that modules address/bit...

Sponsored

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
Yours came from the factory I imagine? If I recall I don't even think I had to make those changes on mine either when I added it, I think for are just the factory defaults since there really is no off or disable valued for them. But yes, it does cool off a decent amount before the elements kick back in. You could try raising the temp ever so slightly and see what that does. I did see a couple other address dealing with HSW and gain, but no idea at all on what to do with those or if they even should be messed with.

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
Yours came from the factory I imagine? If I recall I don't even think I had to make those changes on mine either when I added it, I think for are just the factory defaults since there really is no off or disable valued for them. But yes, it does cool off a decent amount before the elements kick back in. You could try raising the temp ever so slightly and see what that does. I did see a couple other address dealing with HSW and gain, but no idea at all on what to do with those or if they even should be messed with.
Yes my heated steering wheel was a factory installed one with the 402a on my tremor. I think I'll just leave it as is so I don't risk frying it or something.

ProfessorZ

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502A, Old Jeep Rubicon, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Technical Designer/Project Manager
Would drive mode possibly be affecting this map? I know My BMW turns all the target temps of the HVAC and heated surfaces when in Eco, in the name of efficiency.

Icecoldak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 Limited
For my 2019 I went and changed my temp to 94 degrees with No timeout!!! It gets nice and warm but still does the on/off thing---I do not think there is any way to stop that!!

PTWOB

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Platinum
Did anyone find a solution to this? My 23 Platinum already had the wheel, so I installed the updated HVAC panel and SCCM to activate the HSW. My friend has the identical truck and we did the same with his. His stays hot at a constant temp, but mine cools off after a few minutes. FORScan SCCM shows the auto shutoff disabled.
Sponsored