First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Just because it's good at braking for a truck doesn't mean it's good at braking compared to other vehicles on the road. Braking distance also increases at the square of the increase in speed. If it takes ~140' to go from 60-0, it'll be ~560' to go from 120-0. If you're behind a car that has a 100' 60-0 braking distance, you need an extra 160' of space to stop before hitting them off your following them at 120 mph, assuming you have the same reaction time. The stability of a truck at speed is also much worse than a car, so if you'd have to suddenly swerve, odds are you're going to be rolling down the road and not in a good way, versus a car that is much less likely to have that happen.

So, just because you can didn't mean you should. As exciting as triple digits is, there's no where I needed to be that fast, and impacting the safety of everyone else on the road isn't worth it.
Sponsored

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
Here at the autobahn in the no limit sections, I max out at governor and get passed by flying cars. Would be nice to remove the limit, otherwise why have a 400hp truck... might as well be rocking straight 4 :D
The number or Americans that have experienced the Autobahn or truly fast driving is going down since the military draw-down in Europe, especially Germany. I lived there for 18 years and also got my motorcycle and car drivers licenses there. That was the best experience I could have had for driving my vehicles at the limit.
Drivers ed in the States is a joke. I've got 4 kids that have all learned to drive "Dad Style" and I know their capabilities will keep them safer than the average driver.
Q: what tires does your truck have? Is it German or US spec? Do they even do that anymore?? Back in my day (early-mid 80's) there were big differences but I think many things have become similar.
I remember GI's that were blowing up their Trans Am's and Corvette's because the engines were not tuned or set up for consistent high speed driving. E.g. installing proper spark plugs with cooler ratings, adjusting timing, etc. Transmissions were also not geared for high speed - the US still had 55mph highway limits :sleep: back then!

2018 f150 supercrew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Ford F150 Super Crew 5.0L Flex
[B]DarkSkyForever[/B] supplied some info on how to modify a 2021 F150 max speed but does anyone have it for a 2015? The memory address ranges I can see in Forscan range from 7E0-01-XX to 7E0-04-XX. I have not been able to find any info on the memory addressing definitions for the 2015 F150 PCM module. I have found some for other modules.

EcoBeastCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 402A
Might be time to buy a car instead with tires rated for higher speeds, son. F-150's are not race cars.
Um, when I tuned my '16 Lariat and had a straight stretch of empty highway in Arizona, I got it up to 190ish km/h on 305/55R20 Wrangler Duratracs with no issues. Consistently hit 140 km/h flooring it and passing people on the highway, steady as a rock.

I miss my old truck. 😢

Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Nobody doubts the ability of the truck to REACH 140 MPH. Many of us doubt the ability to the truck to MANEUVER or EXPEDITIOUSLY STOP over 90 MPH. Speed does not kill; sudden deceleration does.

2018 f150 supercrew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@DarkSkyForever supplied some info on how to modify a 2021 F150 max speed but does anyone have it for a 2015? The memory address ranges I can see in Forscan range from 7E0-01-XX to 7E0-04-XX. I have not been able to find any info on the memory addressing definitions for the 2015 F150 PCM module. I have found some for other modules.

Side note: a little late in the game on the philosophy of whether or not the automobiles of today can handle gong over a 100mph or whatever.....if the are you are better off walking. Growing up, every vehicle we owned had a speedometer that went to 120 mph and weather it was one of the International Travel Alls or the Buick LaSaber, and probably with BIAS ply tires they all seen the needle buried at least once and we are all here to still talk about. So that should end the philosophical debate whether anyone thinks they can or are safe to drive that fast.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Was just recently again up around 95mph, first since I went to the 34" -- front end is leveled. Even with the 1/2" taller overall stance the experience was unremarkable. I do have every bare metal surface coated with sound deadener though so 90 mph and 50 mph are both a quiet unremarkable ride. There's more noise in my EV than the F150.

Not sure how it is with other trims / cabs, but the piggyboosts extra 800lbs is all below floor level in the driveline and frame area. That's not the same with a vehicle where the cab and bed are where the extra mass resides. Computers being used everywhere have substantially changed many things for the better. A truck isn't a race car, but a modern version is quite a bit away from its turn of the century counterparts / ancestors.

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
My speed is limited by my foot and wallet. More speed = less MPG = more $$$. I'm not poor but Bidenomics is currently limiting my frivolous spending. 71mph seems to be my truck's sweet spot for highway driving. Every mph over results in a few tenths less...
Besides, If I want to go fast I'll just jump in my 20 Mustang GT. ;)

gpbst3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
I hope those of you who want to drive 100+ mph are not going so on the same roads as my family. I don't care what you say there is simply no need.

I just took an employer sponsored driving class yesterday and its a great reminder of vehicle and driver limitations. Remember those stopping test results are going to be done on a brand new truck not one with 40k miles and half worn brakes. Factoring in reaction time your basically screwed if anything happens in front of you.

Last edited:

Sponsored

2018 f150 supercrew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@DarkSkyForever supplied some info on how to modify a 2021 F150 max speed but does anyone have it for a 2015? The memory address ranges I can see in Forscan range from 7E0-01-XX to 7E0-04-XX. I have not been able to find any info on the memory addressing definitions for the 2015 F150 PCM module. I have found some for other modules.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Spicy take incoming.....

I like you dude, but you give computers way too much fucking credit.

My 2002 7700 has no limiter. I've had it well over 120 many,many times. Solid as a rock.

Hell, I had my 1978 super cab 8' bed on 35" Goodyear m/ts clocked over 140 by gps. So steady, it might as well have been on rails. Same thing with all my dad's old trucks and Lincolns and LTD wagons I grew up in.

If anything, the 23 is an extreme letdown with all the computer nanny bullshit it's saddled with. Should be an easy 150 mph vehicle, but alas.... computers and electrical nannies ruin all the fun.

Before anyone notices, it's not really in 2nd. The gear indicator's been broken for years.
Computers are easily some of if not the most reliable machines man has invented. Rarely does the machine itself malfunction, but the human coded software does. My truck doesn't have a limiter on it, but regardless I'd consider doing 140+ on tires not rated for it to be a "stupid game". With stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

As for the scope of this conversation and the one referenced, the computer handled the modeling / physics / etc... Gone are the days of just throwing a bunch of material at mechanical structure and calling it good-nuff. Suspension, aero, engines, all products of having computers perform modeling that's eventually backed up with testing (look into a suspension layout called "virtual ball"). As for reliability an EV wins that one. End of days type scenario? Give me a big ass LFP battery powered truck and some solar panels. Unless of course you've got your own well and refinery hanging around your backyard. Careful flaring that excess methane, they'll come like moths to a flame.

I haven't run into any computer issue yet with the truck that I've not been able to overcome. I do however enjoy many benefits from it that wouldn't be possible had the various computerized systems not been present. Tesla raised the bar in automotive at least a decade ahead of where it'd likely have been without them. This incompetent / denial based approach of legacy auto isn't the fault of computers, it's companies failing to acknowledge that they've pivoted into being a 'tech company' without fully building out the teams to undertake the task. They're using dated sourcing methods and agreements with suppliers that have crippled their ability to move forward. Most people don't even notice it, but those paying attention can see it. it's not the computer's fault it's got shitty code, it's ford's.
Sponsored