First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/23204950/bmw-subscriptions-microtransactions-heated-seats-feature
"In the case of heated seats, for example, BMW owners already have all the necessary components, but BMW has simply placed a software block on their functionality that buyers then have to pay to remove. For some software features that might lead to ongoing expenses for the carmaker (like automated traffic camera alerts, for example)"\

can you imagine if US auto builders tried this stunt.? the gear is already in the car..but you have to pay to turn it on?? WTF wholly
Sponsored

bgalakazam

First Name
Lubo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 500A Lariat 4x4 5.0L
They already did that with the 320i and 328i. With minor differences, same engine and internals. A tuned 320i performs the same as my 328i. And this is 2015... European car makers amaze me. Close to no full EV options, 50%+ still run on diesel which is being banned in European cities and straight up cannot pass US emission requirements... the lost the luxury market. Not to mention I see Ford's everywhere in Europe (euro models). And the Ranger is thriving here.

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
GMC and Buick announced not long ago (June 2022) that you will now have to purchase 3 yrs of Onstar at the tune of $985 - $1,500 depending on the vehicle. Its a line item on the MSRP Sticker. so it's not just the foreign automakers talk about a money grab!

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
GMC and Buick announced not long ago (June 2022) that you will now have to purchase 3 yrs of Onstar at the tune of $985 - $1,500 depending on the vehicle. Its a line item on the MSRP Sticker. so it's not just the foreign automakers talk about a money grab!
unreal.. but onstar is an option,
i think what tweeked me was the heated seat is already in the car, you paid for it in a package..so how can they bill you later to turn it on??
its ok i have been goign round and round with north texas tollway authority for a few hours now so
its beer 30

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
unreal.. but onstar is an option,
i think what tweeked me was the heated seat is already in the car, you paid for it in a package..so how can they bill you later to turn it on??
its ok i have been goign round and round with north texas tollway authority for a few hours now so
its beer 30
Agreed hopefully there is enough pushback that they rethink this. I for one am not paying to use my heated seats (BMW), remote start (Toyota), and dang sure not a subscription service I don't want or need (GM)

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Agreed hopefully there is enough pushback that they rethink this. I for one am not paying to use my heated seats (BMW), remote start (Toyota), and dang sure not a subscription service I don't want or need (GM)
Toyota charging for use of the remote start fob or app played a role in me not buying a '22 Tundra.

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
makes no sense if equipment is IN the vehicle, how can you charge a fee to use it
i understand the wifi and nav updates, charging a fee to have wifi CELL or updated maps. my garmin has lifetime updates free? it was built into the price
but actuall built in stuff that does not change is nutttttyyyyy

what is next? charging you to unlock the doors

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 KR 5.0L 157"WB RHD "Emaciated Edition"
If I got it right, John clears it up here:
If you ordered and paid for heated seats, you get them. If you didn't order them, they are there and if you subsequently want heated, you pay the subscription fee.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
OnStar requires infrastructure outside the vehicle to work. It makes sense to be an ongoing subscription. Just like blue cruise makes sense to be subscription (though it's borderline in my opinion).

Heated seats don't require any infrastructure outside the vehicle to continue to work. It's a total money grab for no reason but greed.

I've read a lot of people say that they can streamline thier production by putting in all the same seats (which would also lower their cost per seat as they can order more of one seat), but I call bs. And even if they do save money on heated seats, most likely those who have no intention of ever using heated seats more than likely still pay more than they would for unheated seats. People who say they aren't charging you for that equipment in the base price are morons. They are double dipping for those that need/want that feature and overcharging those that have no desire to ever use them.

Honestly, if I bought a bmw I would just expect it to have heated seats, but I guess that's why I'll never own one.

HSV_MIkeJ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.music-by-mike.com
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, SC Rapid Red
Occupation
DJ
Tesla been doing this all along. You have to pay more to unlock the better features that are already built into every car. One example is the higher battery capacity. They did emergency unlocking of the higher battery capacity for everyone in Florida once during a hurricane evacuation, then after a while reset everyone that hadn't payed extra back to the diminished battery capacity.

Sponsored

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Tesla been doing this all along. You have to pay more to unlock the better features that are already built into every car. One example is the higher battery capacity. They did emergency unlocking of the higher battery capacity for everyone in Florida once during a hurricane evacuation, then after a while reset everyone that hadn't payed extra back to the diminished battery capacity.
that has to be criminal

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OnStar requires infrastructure outside the vehicle to work. It makes sense to be an ongoing subscription. Just like blue cruise makes sense to be subscription (though it's borderline in my opinion).

Heated seats don't require any infrastructure outside the vehicle to continue to work. It's a total money grab for no reason but greed.

I've read a lot of people say that they can streamline thier production by putting in all the same seats (which would also lower their cost per seat as they can order more of one seat), but I call bs. And even if they do save money on heated seats, most likely those who have no intention of ever using heated seats more than likely still pay more than they would for unheated seats. People who say they aren't charging you for that equipment in the base price are morons. They are double dipping for those that need/want that feature and overcharging those that have no desire to ever use them.

Honestly, if I bought a bmw I would just expect it to have heated seats, but I guess that's why I'll never own one.
Totally understand but as long as I have options I'm not paying MSRP, including options I have no intent on using, or paying for something I think should be included. Luckily so far we have options I for one hope consumers push back on these money grabs and keep it that way if not well I'll deal with that later for now just enjoying my truck for another 5-6 years :)

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Onstar is a service that cost GM money to provide. That is way different that heated seats.

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onstar is a service that cost GM money to provide. That is way different that heated seats.
I understand that but I had the trial OnStar on my 2015 Canyon and would not pay $1,500 to have it, honestly I wouldn't pay anything to have it. Which means my money will be looking elsewhere which is unfortunate becuase we were interested in a Buick SUV for my wife.

Martzman

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Raptor, 2018 F150
Occupation
Construction
I don't care for this notion of subscription based services for a vehicle. Sounds like a BS money grab to me.
Sponsored