Sponsored

BlueCrusie hands free-Not Impressed

sippy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 f150 platinum
I have a 2022 F150 wth BC...and seeemed to be operating fine. I just had my first long road trip (2) 9 hour days.

Here's the rub. I set HF driving and it starts fine. Problem is it only takes over for a max of 5-7 miles or so then requires me to take over for a mile or so. Some times.... on 2-3 miles then....off for .5 mile....inconsistent on and off. I found very cumbersome and anoying.

I am guessing it isnt designed to take over completely... but if it was more consistant I would have been more happy. Also notice if there is a long entrance or long exit ramp..it tends to shut off...so I tried moving to the left lane...MAY have helped a little.

Also will be nice when/ if they update the lane change and lane centering when passing vehicles....to proetct against the passed car from drifting in to your lane.

I dont need a sermon about paying attention when driving and all the blah blah blah that goes with that.
Sponsored

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
In my experience, I find a lot of BC problems have to do with poor road markings and here in the northeast a lot of the roads have faded lines. I think the max time was about 10-15 min before it dropped. I have a long road trip down south in March and I am hoping it preforms better. Yes, I too wish it didn't hug the right side of the lane.

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
Lane markings are an issue if the truck can’t see them. Sometimes, bright sun on the markings also cause the HF to shut off. Then there is heavy rain, fog and snow which will impact HF , in my case I’ve be pretty happy with the performance. A clean window helps.

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost FX4 & 2024 Escape Platinum
Occupation
Instructional Designer
I have used it going from Fort Waye, IN to Key West, FL and had very long intervals of Blue Cruise working. Of course, at all exits it will disengage otherwise it was great even intermittently.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I used mine yesterday and it functioned except for every corner that is a little sharp on the interstate.

I'll be able to do a Super Cruise comparison within a month or so. This F150 Platinum 4X4 Powerboost is going to get by a GMC 1500 Sierra Denali Ultimate that will be equipped with Super Cruise.

Sponsored

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
I used mine yesterday and it functioned except for every corner that is a little sharp on the interstate.

I'll be able to do a Super Cruise comparison within a month or so. This F150 Platinum 4X4 Powerboost is going to get by a GMC 1500 Sierra Denali Ultimate that will be equipped with Super Cruise.
I'm curious to see your review... most of the comparisons I've seen say supercruise is better than what ford currently has.

Hopefully software updates will help with the cornering issues (it is listed as a coming update). I don't think there is any fix for its inability to see with poor visability and poor road markings. Software updates have improved the way my truck handles lane exits and ending better, but still not great with merging / ending lanes. I find BC great on long freeway trips in the summer with clean windows and cameras, especially in rural areas with minimal exits. In the winter its more hassle than its worth

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
I like the BC but hope I can get the new update for cornering and speed control and lane changing
It would be nice to receive some updates .

Scoop

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SuperCrew Platinum 5.0 4x4 6.5'
I dont need a sermon about paying attention when driving and all the blah blah blah that goes with that.
Your post convinces me that you are not very familar with driving automation levels.

The current rendition of BlueCruise is Level 2: Partial automation - The vehicle can perform steering and acceleration. The human still monitors all tasks and can take control at any time.

Ford F-150 BlueCrusie hands free-Not Impressed automatio

Tesla Autopilot is actually only between Levels 2 and 3. Audi has a Level 3 (e.g., A8). There are no commercially available vehicles that are Level 4 or 5. I believe there is only one company that is testing Level 4 vehicles in real-world conditions (Oxbotica in UK).

Last edited:

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
It seems like Ford's technology is using camera/image recognition for lane markings and Speed Limit signs. This is probably inferior to LiDAR/lane imaging maps (limited to big cities) that some of the other vehicles use.

Also, Ford's hands free/lane keep assist is dependent on what's marked on the ground and around me that changes day to day. Its not even near perfect, but its usable. I still have to keep some pressure on the steering wheel.

Sponsored

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I do not do something where if there is a problem I will die.

I spent more than 30 years managing software and hardware development projects and know that there are problems inherent in anything with humans at its core. We have seen the evidence of that with the failures of the Boeing 737 Max and the Tesla cars turning off the roadway and hitting parked cars and buildings and killing people who trusted the new technology.

Scoop

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I like the BC but hope I can get the new update for cornering and speed control and lane changing
That's BlueCruise 1.2. I don't own one so I can't confirm, but I believe it is currently only available on the 2023 Mustang Mach-E Select.
Ford F-150 BlueCrusie hands free-Not Impressed bc12

Ford F-150 BlueCrusie hands free-Not Impressed bc12m

Last edited:

Scoop

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Also, Ford's hands free/lane keep assist is dependent on what's marked on the ground and around me that changes day to day. Its not even near perfect, but its usable. I still have to keep some pressure on the steering wheel.
I drive ~54 miles one way to work, roughly ~45 of it on two major expressways. With the exception of inclement weather, direct sun, construction, or idiots doing idiot things, I'm completely hands-free for 98% of the ~45 miles.