Believed to be bad sw update for gateway module

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat 502A FX4 5.0
Have you checked with Forscan for any fault codes? If you had issues for a couple of weeks there should be some codes (unless the tech wiped them?)
Sponsored

Xman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ram 1500, 2024 F150 Lariat on order
Thanks, JEB. I still have lots to learn.

OP
OP

Tcamhittle

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Tech
Have you checked with Forscan for any fault codes? If you had issues for a couple of weeks there should be some codes (unless the tech wiped them?)
No I called Ford tech and they passed me some bulletins related to the codes they could pull.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
On 5/1 when they connected, here's the DTCs it was showing...
U1012:00:pCM, U0121:00:IPC, U3001:68:ABS, U0253:00:ABS, U0121:00:APIM, U0121:00:RCM, U0121:00:pCM, U0121:00:TCCM, B1330:9A:BCM, U0401:86:IPMA, U0415:00:pSCM, U2108:68:IPMA, U0121:87:TRM, U0121:87:BCMC, U0121:87:BCM, U0121:00:IPMA, U0121:00:GSM, U0554:00:IPC

Which points to the GWM update causing the DTCs. They should have documented codes and cleared them (FDRS clearly keeps a history of the codes). Looking through the FDRS history they seem to have just started randomly going through things as if they haven't seen a GWM issue.

If they still have the truck, tell them to PMI the ABS and see if it reprograms it as suspecting VIN corruption. They have not tried to PMI the ABS. Click no on original module installed.

They did eventually clear the codes...
Ford F-150 Believed to be bad sw update for gateway module 1714760880246-16

If the ABS vin is corrupted, PMI (no to original module installed) may fix it.

When the truck was dropped off the ABS WAS alive. Then they started going through things
Ford F-150 Believed to be bad sw update for gateway module 1714767426712-wi

Ford F-150 Believed to be bad sw update for gateway module 1714764687355-23

Ford F-150 Believed to be bad sw update for gateway module 1714764715363-si

day 2
Ford F-150 Believed to be bad sw update for gateway module 1714764791325-57

Someone just used PTS on the truck 9m ago
Ford F-150 Believed to be bad sw update for gateway module 1714767518465-j6

Last edited:

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Awesome info - exactly why I came here.
Spend some time on the thread I provided a link to above—read some posts, ask some questions. A lot of really knowledgeable people there and I think you will learn quickly that this might be something you can fix yourself. Not free—a programmer and a a 2-day FDRS license can set you back $600 or so—but that’s a lot less than what your dealer wants to charge you to rip out what I have a strong suspicion is a perfectly good module. The modules are pretty robust on these trucks. They are relatively hard to completely brick beyond recovery. But a lot of dealers still can’t find their ass with both hands and a road map when it comes to reprogramming them. It’s what led literally hundreds of people in situations very much like yours to take matters into their own hands.

OP
OP

Tcamhittle

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Tech
Unfortunately, the local Ford dealer took the stance that they’ll happily waive my diagnostic fee and have it ready to be towed to the technician that knows better. I was also advised I should check my app for alerts and I should have bought the extended warranty … did I buy an exotic parrot? Overall, I got the sense the service manager felt attacked when I mentioned other Ford techs are seeing data contrary to what I’m being told. I’m going to go back through here and pinpoint the data showing it worked when it arrived.

Here’s the actual note from service manager: *scrubbing her name out of respect.

Hi Troy, I am the Service Manager here at Capital Ford. I have gotten involved to try and help resolve what needs to be done to repair your F150. Reading your text thread, you are asking for a PMI print out. A PMI only comes into play when a new module has been installed. There is no way for me to provide you with that at this time. After the module is installed I can certainly provide that to you. Starting on 3/11/24 there were ABS module A codes. On April 12 at 7:30 am there was a lost communication for APIM camera and DC/AC inverter module. At 1:25 pm there was an over the air update that started and completed at 1:29pm. The ABS module was not updated in the over the air update, only the Gateway module was updated at that time. At 1:41pm there was a start up of the truck and there were lost communication errors. Those usually occur due to power/battery concern. I under stand that you have been unhooking the battery waiting for your appointment here. In speaking with the technician and the shop foreman, we have power into the ABS module and ground. The 2 wires that are for communication with the TCU check good. Therefore the ABS module is faulted. The truck will not start because it is not seeing the brake switch that runs through the ABS module. We will need to replace that module and program it, we can provide you with the PMI you requested at that time.”

The truck was throwing ABS module A codes since 3/11 and it was a coincidence that it wouldn’t start on 4/12 the same day they send the gateway module update. Lastly, they dispute that the ABS module was working when it showed up to the shop.

Anyway - I’m going to try one more thing when I get back from this work trip… keep ya posted

kman7799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
I've had my '23 since February. Since then the truck received 4 OTA updates. Two of them caused the fast turn signal issue and brake controller module fault. The first time, the Ford dealer said the update fried my brake controller module and replaced it. I was skeptical a software update could fry a piece of hardware by itself and the dealer agreed. The second time, I pulled and reinserted fuse #91 based on advice in another thread. That cleared the issues, and a separate auto-up/down driver's side window problem. I've had no problems since.

Was it a bad software update, buggy software, bad hardware, fuse problem or all of the above? Who knows, but automatic software updates are now turned off.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
They refuse to connect to the truck and show the FDRS module communication. They keep looking on PTS to read DTCs. Truck is probably sitting in the lot eating up battery with each PTS query they do.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Nothing is more threatening, or perhaps insulting, than an informed customer.
Whether their diagnosis is legitimate or not, YOU aren't supposed to question anything they say or do.

It's not a Blue Oval problem.
It's a human dilemma.

I'm an old man and I can assure you that it wasn't always like this. Sure, there have always been folks with too much pride. But the hyper-sensitive culture of today is growing rampant.

OP
OP

Tcamhittle

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Tech
Update: Capital Ford refused to service my vehicle and I’ve had it towed to another dealer. They gave me some soft line about ‘we want to meet your expectation for service and don’t believe we can’… I asked for screen shots and made suggestions based on expert advice and it was taken as a slight and demeaning to them.

At any rate the new dealer within the first day already had screen shots and all the pertinent information that should come with 150/hr diagnostic work.

I FINALLY got someone so say the OTA GW update negatively impacted my ABS MODULE because the damn thing went haywire code wise after receiving it so this will go a long way (hopefully) in getting Ford to help the $2400 repair.

I’m asking for max relief because 1) the argument made against me was the ABS threw codes well before the OTA update - my retort: then why didn’t I see a check engine light or an indicator while under B2B warranty (truck is only a ‘21 with 42k on it) and 2) it stopped working the same day I got the OTA update and no one can definitively tell me it DID NOT have an impact.

Capital Ford Wilmington, NC told me I should have been checking my app for the bad ABS code 🤣

My new journey is Ford Customer Care financial assistance to see how much they’ll cover but I have to get a new ABS module that has no signs of physical defect …. Just loss of comm.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Good luck

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
When I had my dropping tailgate recall done part of the process was a computer reflash once the rewire of the tailgate button was done. This seemingly simple step corrupted other software making my headlights come on by themselves every 10 minutes even with the truck off. The truck was down for 15 days while they traced the problem. They conference called with Ford engineers who coached them to reprogram a module at a time to isolate the issue, each one taking an hour-plus. They told me there are close to 40 in the truck from more than one vendor, complicating the trouble shooting. I think if I had not called corporate after the first week and forced that level of communication it could have become a buy back scenario or a 30-day plus dealer visit. Maybe multi month.

So no I don't write anything off as crazy anymore.
Sponsored

Last edited: