First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lariat Powerboost, 2021 Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired AF Fighter Pilot
I was disappointed to find my 2022 Lariat came without the Interior Work Surface. I thought it was part of the 502a package and found out the hard way, it is a totally separate option. I asked my Dealer Parts Guy if I could order the Interior Work Surface lid and he said it was the impossible task. I thought that someone might have found a way to get the optional Interior Work Surface lid after receipt of the truck.
Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I believe there might be a lot that goes into it. Far more than just the cover. You will also need the shift to be able to fold down so there was a lot of engineering that went into it. Ford should just go with the pushbutton shift and include that work surface feature on every F-150 without a bench seat, but sadly it is an option.

OP
OP
Thunderchief

Thunderchief

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AF Fighter Pilot
I believe there might be a lot that goes into it. Far more than just the cover. You will also need the shift to be able to fold down so there was a lot of engineering that went into it. Ford should just go with the pushbutton shift and include that work surface feature on every F-150 without a bench seat, but sadly it is an option.
I believe all of the 2022 Lariat trucks come with the fold down shifter and my shifter folds down. I saw a video of a fellow moving an Interior Work Surface from one of his trucks to another one without the Work Surface and it looked like you could use the same hinge and box arrangement -- just switch the lids.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I believe all of the 2022 Lariat trucks come with the fold down shifter and my shifter folds down. I saw a video of a fellow moving an Interior Work Surface from one of his trucks to another one without the Work Surface and it looked like you could use the same hinge and box arrangement -- just switch the lids.
That will be great if the shifter can go down with every truck. Since yours goes down you may have a chance. Getting the parts might be the only issue. Did the parts guy say that the problem was just getting the parts or if they just were not compatible?

OP
OP
Thunderchief

Thunderchief

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AF Fighter Pilot
The parts guy was confused about what to order. He said it looked like $1,000 worth of parts for a $195 option. He acknowledged that he had no idea how to order just the Work Surface lid.

Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You could scour around the junk yards and see if they have a 2021 or 2022 wrecked F-150. That might be a "cheaper" way to get the lid. However it will still be a crap shoot as to whether it will fit or not. You might need the whole unit. Only eyeballs on it will let you know if it is even possible.

Also maybe there is an F-150 club that is local for you. This would let you see the center console area of trucks that do have the work surface. This might let you see if it is more complicated than anticipated.

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
The parts guy was confused about what to order. He said it looked like $1,000 worth of parts for a $195 option. He acknowledged that he had no idea how to order just the Work Surface lid.
I know there was a user on this or the other forum that had run a detailed analysis of the parts required to retrofit an interior work surface. As I recall, it wasn't quite as high as the estimate you got, but was still very cost-prohibitive. I wanna say in the $600-$700 dollar range.

That being said, I also saw the video of the owner swapping between two of his trucks... assuming you have (or are willing to pay for) the parts, the swap seemed pretty simple.