Sponsored

Battery Charging Observations

Spidergears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
So, like many, I've been following the thread that @FirstFord started about installing an H8 sized battery. It's a good thread if you haven't read it.

I like many have been dealing with the dreaded power savings mode and having features disabled. It's really annoying at night when the interior lights won't come on when getting out of the truck. The truck never had a hard time cranking though.

After reading lots of threads and comments, I decided to see what the obdii data said was going on and see if I could draw any conclusions, or at least have some fun nerding out.

First, a few details about my truck. It's just a 3.5 ecoboost, not a powerboost, and has the start/stop deleted from the factory. It does get driven most days, but the longest is like 3-4 times a week I drive it about 15-20 minutes twice a day. I've been having the power savings issue for a few months. Even after trips that took near 3 hours, I the issue would return pretty quickly.

I had my truck at the dealership recently for recalls and asked them to look into the issue. The battery tested good, so without deeper diagnosis, they weren't able to tell me anything more. Interestingly enough, since I got my truck back, it hasn't gone into power save mode. 🤷‍♂️

So, I used my obdii adapter and started logging parameters like engine rpm, battery charge mode (which never showed a value), the battery current, battery state of charge, and a few others.

When I was just getting my footing looking at the data, I first noticed my battery was only showing 35% state of charge, but it was charging relatively quickly and hit 50%. It makes me wonder what the parameters are to induce the power savings mode.

Anyhow, I finally got the enough parameters logging and did 2 runs.

Here's the first one.
Ford F-150 Battery Charging Observations 1705977975426

From the time I crank the truck to the time I shut it off, I'm correlating amps to state of charge. You can see the amperage starts off really high, but then starts coming down quickly. You'll also note that as the battery charges, the amperage goes down. Not too surprising, but what's surprising to me is the low rate at which it is charging. It's hard to see in the chart, but from about 19 minutes onward, it's only pushing 2-3 amps.

Here's the second run.
Ford F-150 Battery Charging Observations 1705978237622

Again here you can see the amperage start off really high but goes down quickly. By minutes 6 it was down to 3 amps, but it was also already over 50% SOC. By minute 15 was only pushing 1-2 amps, and by minute 23 it was pushing 1 amp or less.

One thing that you can't see here, and I only have a data point of 1 at the moment, is the state of charge went down about 7% over night. So, if I'm not charging at least that much during a day, I'm at a net loss.

For fun, I decided to try out some AI to analyze my csv to determine the factors that result in a slower charge rate when the vehicle is running. It concluded that:
- There is a moderate negative correlation with the vehicle battery state of charge and the current, suggesting as the state of charge increases the charge rate tends to decrease.
- There is a weak correlation between engine rpm/gear and the charge rate.
- It also thinks there is only like 27% of the variability in the battery current can be explained by the data I provided.

So, all of this was fun and interesting, but lead me to the same result as most of you have already figured out. I just need to charge my battery on occasion because while the alternator is totally capable of keeping the battery charged, the algorithm appears to be severely limiting the charge rate. There's nothing wrong with my battery, nothing physically wrong with my truck that can be fixed.

I also get that there's a ton of other factors here that could be contributing. Perhaps in the summer this looks totally different. Perhaps the next software update will change this algorithm. I would be curious to see if engine load has anything to do with it. Like I could see if you were pulling a trailer, or climbing a hill, cut the current so you can prioritize power to the drive-train. But if we're just saving fuel, I wish I could override that.

Anyhow, thought I would share.
Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
How old is the battery and is it a Motorcraft brand?

OP
OP
Spidergears

Spidergears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
It's the battery the truck came with. A little under 2 years old according to the BMS.

wessermgm

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum SCrew, Smoked Quartz, 701a, FX4
Not trying to threadjack, but I feel that there are a lot of threads right now about battery life/charge. Not complaining about that, rather, it seems that we hit a tsunami of battery issues on the board. This HAS to be related to an OTA.

I know I never had battery charge issues until December. My neighbor was fine and he started to have the dreaded message "system off to preserve battery life" a few weeks ago. His battery died last Friday. Replaced with an H7 (I tried to tell him ignore the Autozone dude who said H7 was the largest he could fit in his 5.0). Just monitoring this Board, I feel that battery complaints have shot up exponentially in the past 5-6 weeks. I get its winter, but winter came last year and I don't remember this being this bad.

OP
OP
Spidergears

Spidergears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Perhaps it is. Seems like an update could certainly tweak the algorithm. I started noticing my issue back in... I think it was Oct., but maybe Sept. It started off occasional, but then became persistent.

Still, seems like the best course of action for those who are encountering the issue is to drive or manually charge. As long as the battery isn't dead, i suspect changing the battery is just a short term solve.

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Winter time is when most people notice battery issues. Takes more amps cranking cold oil, throw in all the heated options and running fan full blast, darker time of year so headlights are on much more often. Lots of work for older batteries. Many are buying used trucks with old batteries and most of forum is convinced Motorcraft batteries suck this generation.

I have caught my truck uploading lots of data on WiFi when it's not running. Obviously that isn't helpful to my battery life either and entirely possible it started with a recent OTA.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Started truck this morning with my month old H8. Connected to BT adapter before I got in truck. 80 SOC. 30 minute drive to work 82 SOC. Voltage mostly 14ish but every time the SOC ticked up it would drop to 12ish for a bit.

SOC is set to 85 with Forscan and until I make a longer trip I won't know if it gets to that point. I still support the idea that truck goal is always 80% regardless of that value we change in Forscan.

Sorry no pretty graphs I tried logging with OBDLink app but I can't show the full trip just last few seconds.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Started day 80 SOC, 82 SOC arriving at work, 82 SOC leaving work, 85 SOC arriving home.

Leaving work
Ford F-150 Battery Charging Observations Screenshot_20240123-162837

Not sure "current" PID is reliable, frequently went very negative.
Ford F-150 Battery Charging Observations Screenshot_20240123-165159

Home
Ford F-150 Battery Charging Observations Screenshot_20240123-165724

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Winter time is when most people notice battery issues. Takes more amps cranking cold oil, throw in all the heated options and running fan full blast, darker time of year so headlights are on much more often.
A millennial neighbor asked me for a jump due to his weak battery. He was surprised when I used the EV to jump him, he thought the high voltage would cook his vehicle. I had to explain to him that it's got a potent 12v system too. Connected up the cables, switched the fan to setting 5, let it charge for 1 minute and it fired right up. His cables were laughably small but I didn't feel like getting out my 4ga units since I knew it'd work.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
An exponential decline in charging current is how batteries work. I have begun to wonder about Ford's programming. Some detailed homework surfaced that 12.69VDC is the theoretical fully charged voltage. As it appears to me Ford has programmed 12.7VDC as the 80% charged point. Well, why would they do this? I believe that Ford has assessed th lifetime of AGM batteries and concluded that going above that 12.7VDC point will, in the long term, overcharge the batteries. My homework also revealed that AGM batteries are more susceptible to damage from overcharging than a typical flooded cell battery. I have begun taking a voltage reading, with a handheld Digital Voltmeter, every morning. I leave the hood unlatched so that I don't have to trigger modules. I find that the battery, after sitting overnight will have a rest voltage of around 12.8VDC. It then declines about 0.05VDC day by day. recall that lead acid batteries will have a self-discharge rate of about 1% or 2% per week. You can't change this, it's a fact of how these batteries work. So what's up? Well first I finally figured out that the truck is "Always on." It has to be so that when you approach it with your key FOB, it'll recognize it and unlock the doors. So, engine on or engine off, the computer is active. Admittedly, its active at a very low current draw, but it's there. Combine that with a self discharge rate and no matter what you'll see battery voltage slowly declining... Now do you have some modules that aren't turning off when they should have been commanded? Go take a look.

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Not trying to threadjack, but I feel that there are a lot of threads right now about battery life/charge. Not complaining about that, rather, it seems that we hit a tsunami of battery issues on the board. This HAS to be related to an OTA.
A huge swath of the country just saw temperatures that they've never seen before or haven't seen for more than a year. It's not unreasonable to expect a lot of people to report problems during and shortly after the first big temperature drop. I highly doubt it has anything to do with what Ford is doing with updates.

Ranger621

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
Started day 80 SOC, 82 SOC arriving at work, 82 SOC leaving work, 85 SOC arriving home.

Leaving work
Screenshot_20240123-162837.png

Not sure "current" PID is reliable, frequently went very negative.
Screenshot_20240123-165159.png

Home
Screenshot_20240123-165724.png
How do you set up the BT monitor to display the Volts, SOC, amp , etc.?

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
OP
OP
Spidergears

Spidergears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Sorry no pretty graphs I tried logging with OBDLink app but I can't show the full trip just last few seconds.
obdlink is what I used. It has a logging feature that will dump your chosen pids to a csv file. It’ll even automatically upload to Dropbox.