Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
How many folks that had a bright orange pumpkin and other rusty components have looked under their trucks recently?

When I got my truck in July '21, it looked very similar to a lot of pictures people posted here. I didn't care (and still don't) because it was surface rust. I washed my truck a little over a week ago and looked at the unnecessary closer. Nearly everything that used to be orange is back to a normal dark grey color, barely any orange.

I didn't do anything other than drive it and wash it. There is still some corrosion around the exhaust hangers, but that's about the only place any of the rust is still hanging out. I would imagine that other trucks are probably similar now, despite all of the complaints here.
Sponsored

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
How many folks that had a bright orange pumpkin and other rusty components have looked under their trucks recently?

When I got my truck in July '21, it looked very similar to a lot of pictures people posted here. I didn't care (and still don't) because it was surface rust. I washed my truck a little over a week ago and looked at the unnecessary closer. Nearly everything that used to be orange is back to a normal dark grey color, barely any orange.

I didn't do anything other than drive it and wash it. There is still some corrosion around the exhaust hangers, but that's about the only place any of the rust is still hanging out. I would imagine that other trucks are probably similar now, despite all of the complaints here.
Do you mean to suggest the rust just disappeared?

I mean... not only unlikely, very much impossible. It's possible the rust is now wet with oil and now seems dark.

Anecdotally, my truck sat for 8 months on a dealer lot in Trinidad Colorado before coming to me. It had minimal rust in the form of some spray on the diff, small spots where the frame was dinged in assembly, on the hub areas (EIWE mounts?) and on the driveshaft joins. I fluidfilmed on day 1 and it actually turned most of the rust very dark and dirty looking.

I would hate to see what owning one of these and owning a boat that has to be put in and out of salt water might look like.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
So you're saying that the rust can't just disappear, but somehow everything that showed rust when it was delivered got coated with oil and is hiding the rust? The rear axle isn't oily and doesn't have a hint of brown, so I'm not sure how it's more likely for the rust to still be there just invisible.

konoplya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150
I have had some rusty parts under the truck since pretty much buying it new. Although, I didn't look under my truck until after a few months after purchase, I can't imagine it rusted so quickly, especially that it didn't rain at all between when I bought it and looked under it (it also barely rains here to begin with). Now, a year and a half later, there's a bit more rust, but not much more, however I am concerned that a brand new truck would have rust at all. I have a camry with 250k on it and there's no rust on that thing at all. Truck is still under warranty, would Ford do anything about it? My main concern is at the rear pinion flange that connects to the u joint, its all covered with rust.

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
Not thing one FORD will do about the rust. I’m not sure if you read through the earlier posts, but many 21 ‘s new from the factory had lots of rear axle parts rust.

Some dealers in prep before delivery painted those rusts areas but likely not many. Although unsightly, it’s not anything to be worried about. Spray paint the rust, oil it , fluid flam it , undercoat if you want. The rear axle housing will still be around when the rest of the trust isn’t. That’s my 2 cents worth, or my nickel worth since we don’t use pennies in Canada. Enjoy your truck.

Sponsored

konoplya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150
Not thing one FORD will do about the rust. I’m not sure if you read through the earlier posts, but many 21 ‘s new from the factory had lots of rear axle parts rust.

Some dealers in prep before delivery painted those rusts areas but likely not many. Although unsightly, it’s not anything to be worried about. Spray paint the rust, oil it , fluid flam it , undercoat if you want. The rear axle housing will still be around when the rest of the trust isn’t. That’s my 2 cents worth, or my nickel worth since we don’t use pennies in Canada. Enjoy your truck.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've read through many of the posts in this thread, I just have never had to deal with rust on parts like that on any of my other vehicles I've had, so I'm not very familiar with how to deal with it. So spraying something like fluid film on the spinning parts like the cv axle wouldn't have adverse effects on them?

Here are some of the rusty parts on my truck

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 20231105_140909

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 20231105_140931

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 20231105_140803

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 20231105_140752

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 20231105_140919

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles