Sponsored

Got my rust issues addressed

HawkeyeOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
So, the quick version here is that my truck had what I would call a mild to moderate case of rear axle rust. Dealer didn't address it when it took delivery, I was told it was cosmetic. I shrugged and moved on at the time.

After reading these forums, and having time to let it sit and stew in my brain, I wanted the rear axle to look as new as it possibly could. The rust on mine was in relatively out of sight areas, but just knowing that it was there bothered me.

Took it to what is basically a satellite of the original dealer and had a guy help me out with it (I essentially got to know him indirectly through my own profession). He did a great job and he didn't even charge me. Great guy.

It looks pretty solid now. Way better than it did originally. The guy who did the work informed me that touching the area of the driveshaft with the rust inhibitor/paint combo would alter the performance of those seals so I told him to just leave it be.

I wish I had gotten a larger group of photos of what it looked like originally, but the two pictures of the rust attached were by far some of the worst areas.

That's my cool story for today. Hope others can continue to get this rust issue addressed in a satisfactory manner.

Ford F-150 Got my rust issues addressed IMG-6087

Ford F-150 Got my rust issues addressed IMG-6086

Ford F-150 Got my rust issues addressed IMG_6605

Ford F-150 Got my rust issues addressed IMG_6604

Ford F-150 Got my rust issues addressed IMG_6603

Ford F-150 Got my rust issues addressed IMG_6601

Ford F-150 Got my rust issues addressed IMG_6600

Ford F-150 Got my rust issues addressed IMG_6599

Ford F-150 Got my rust issues addressed IMG_6602
Sponsored

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
So, the quick version here is that my truck had what I would call a mild to moderate case of rear axle rust. Dealer didn't address it when it took delivery, I was told it was cosmetic. I shrugged and moved on at the time.

After reading these forums, and having time to let it sit and stew in my brain, I wanted the rear axle to look as new as it possibly could. The rust on mine was in relatively out of sight areas, but just knowing that it was there bothered me.

Took it to what is basically a satellite of the original dealer and had a guy help me out with it (I essentially got to know him indirectly through my own profession). He did a great job and he didn't even charge me. Great guy.

It looks pretty solid now. Way better than it did originally. The guy who did the work informed me that touching the area of the driveshaft with the rust inhibitor/paint combo would alter the performance of those seals so I told him to just leave it be.

I wish I had gotten a larger group of photos of what it looked like originally, but the two pictures of the rust attached were by far some of the worst areas.

That's my cool story for today. Hope others can continue to get this rust issue addressed in a satisfactory manner.
Glad you got yours figured out. Loads of people got theirs fixed at the dealer with barely asking. I declined delivery of mine due to rust because they wouldn’t fix it. Glad it worked out for you. Crazy times we are in where people are buying rusty (so called cosmetic rust) trucks brand new. Ford knows it too. I love Ford trucks but my god they have made it harder to love them lately.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Glad you got yours figured out. Loads of people got theirs fixed at the dealer with barely asking. I declined delivery of mine due to rust because they wouldn’t fix it. Glad it worked out for you. Crazy times we are in where people are buying rusty (so called cosmetic rust) trucks brand new. Ford knows it too. I love Ford trucks but my god they have made it harder to love them lately.
It’s hard to care about love when your raking in billions of dollars from finessing the sh*t out of hard working people.
I wish your truck didn’t have rust but I’m glad you did what you did. Won’t make a dent in the problem but at least you didn’t just settle and let them crap on us like most of us did.

gpbst3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
It definitely looks better but I would still be concerned over the long term. Was this just a rattle spray can coating over the rust? How long will that last?

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
It definitely looks better but I would still be concerned over the long term. Was this just a rattle spray can coating over the rust? How long will that last?
Most people have been using the rustoleum industrial matte black enamel spray paint.

TruckGuy2020

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military
Here’s what I ended up using. Costs a bit more than a standard rattle can of spray paint so I’m expecting better performance out of it. Some before/after photos.

Ford F-150 Got my rust issues addressed FAEF32A1-CAF8-4CD0-9087-475EF30D69EF

Ford F-150 Got my rust issues addressed 2D82EA5C-9043-48E9-B050-BBD777D2C936

Ford F-150 Got my rust issues addressed 81D7BFBF-7C6E-4B26-B9BD-809E564ED09F

Ford F-150 Got my rust issues addressed 7B5FD77F-7206-46AD-8499-F4F65025C985

Ford F-150 Got my rust issues addressed 32F04D4D-895E-4EC4-8411-E7A4FEFBB04A

Ford F-150 Got my rust issues addressed 1A8C37FF-1CA1-4712-ADA6-B7395D31EF20

Ford F-150 Got my rust issues addressed EFCB0A20-5944-40AF-94F0-86203D5C81E7
Sponsored