Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 5.0
Occupation
PM
Hi all,

When I get in and start my truck the wipers wipe across the windshield once with the auto wipers on. I leave them in the auto position. Is this normal if left in the auto position that they wipe? I should say the window is not wet at all. They work when it's raining great. Do you guys leave it in auto all the time or turn them to auto when it starts to rain? Is the single wipe normal? Worried about scratching the windshield.
Sponsored

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
I’ve been having the same on my ‘22 F-150 Platinum Powerboost. I don’t recall this happening with my ‘21 F-150 Job 1 truckZ

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
That’s odd. Mine stay on auto, pretty much since I bought the truck. Never had it wipe unless water hits

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
I don't leave them on Auto at all. I do not plan on driving through car wash machine, but it's a bad idea to do so with Rain Sense wipers in on/auto position, so I keep them off when not needed. It's also a habit from previous rides (first vehicle with rain sense wipers).

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
Just fyi you should be able to turn rain sensing feature off in the sync menus. This way you never forget to have them off if you run through a car wash (or the dealer does).

Sponsored

CBGray

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 2.7L EB Screw 4x4 501A
Occupation
Software
Hi all,

When I get in and start my truck the wipers wipe across the windshield once with the auto wipers on. I leave them in the auto position. Is this normal if left in the auto position that they wipe? I should say the window is not wet at all. They work when it's raining great. Do you guys leave it in auto all the time or turn them to auto when it starts to rain? Is the single wipe normal? Worried about scratching the windshield.
Mine do this as well, though not every time. I leave them in auto all the time except when going through a car wash. I figure the auto-wipe sensor decides it needs to run them once or so. It is interesting it's not every time, though.

catfishkid1986

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1987 F150 Lariat, 2005 F150 XL, 2021 F150 PB Laria
Occupation
Material Handler
Mine do this as well, though not every time. I leave them in auto all the time except when going through a car wash. I figure the auto-wipe sensor decides it needs to run them once or so. It is interesting it's not every time, though.
I have had this happen when I get in the truck early mornings. Dobie will look clear, but there will be just a little dew or frost up at the sensor. It's definitely not every time I get in tho.

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.
I don't know if it's the case or not but I remember seeing a courtesy wipe option when I turned on my rain sensing. Maybe that is it? I thought it was just an extra wipe when you hit the washer, but maybe not.

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Just fyi you should be able to turn rain sensing feature off in the sync menus. This way you never forget to have them off if you run through a car wash (or the dealer does).
You can also just turn it off on the stalk, once it's activated in the menu.

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
I had the “Courtesy Wipe” ON on my old
truck and it wasn’t doing it

Sponsored

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Hi all,

Mine has done it in the garage, I figured maybe it was dust.

CBGray

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 2.7L EB Screw 4x4 501A
Occupation
Software
I don't know if it's the case or not but I remember seeing a courtesy wipe option when I turned on my rain sensing. Maybe that is it? I thought it was just an extra wipe when you hit the washer, but maybe not.
Courtesy wipe is tied to when you spray the windshield fluid from the button on the stalk. When courtesy wipe is enabled, your wipers will run a fixed number of times - three is the norm, I believe, then there is a bit of a pause, and they'll wipe one extra time. That extra time is the courtesy wipe enabled. If it is disabled, they do the fixed number and then stop. Apparently, courtesy wipe is meant to get any fluid that may have hit near the very top of the windshield where your wipers wouldn't reach. If it waits like those 5-10 seconds, that fluid at the very top has a little time to run down, then get picked up by the courtesy wipe. That's what I've been told is the general idea/reason.

clipperqb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150, 3.5 EB, Super Crew, 4X4
I usually leave mine on auto and every now and then it will throw a wipe when starting even though not wet. Conversely now and then it will be wet and or raining and they won't do a thing.

OP
OP
AAWhyte

AAWhyte

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 5.0
Occupation
PM
@parkerdog,

Did not know you can turn it off at the stalk. That would be better than having to go through the menu every time. I live in FL so it rains often.

My truck lives outside, my garage is too small!!! And I was thinking it could be the dust/pollen that triggers it. It does not do it every single start, but about 80% of the time.
Sponsored