Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Raptor
Occupation
Janitor
Hello all,

2021 raptor with a 3 month old Ford replacement battery (dealer said the original failed their test). I drive my truck at least 30 minutes a day, daily. Many times more than that. Yesterday I drove at least 1-1.5 hours total (over a few trips) and ASS never engaged. Dash says “charging” and battery voltage indicator always displays 14.5-15.5v while driving. At the end of the drive in ignition but not running mode the dash displays 12.5v and I believe the draw is 0.3 in that mode so it should be even higher resting… Weather has been in the 20s recently. Is this a normal thing for the ASS not to work? I could care less about the ASS feature but i am confident that if it is not working as intended the battery itself is having some issues. The truck did just install an update that said it would be unavailable to drive for 12 minutes but would that drain so much battery? I tried searching but not much feedback on daily driven trucks in the winter and ASS not working.

Anyone else?
Sponsored

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I have a '21 Lariat with the 3.5EB and in past 3 years I have noticed that the ASS kicks in less frequently in the winter time, however lately mine has been kicking in more frequently than it used too...so either Ford is making changes in the background of how/when it operates, or the system itself is just garbage, and I have no idea how/why/when it chooses to kick in or not.

As my previous experience would have suggested that Coolant/Oil temps need to reach nominal for x amount of time and maybe battery charge level needs to be >xx%. However now even the 4 miles I drive from work to the highway seems to be enough for it to kick in, and nothing is up to temp, and the battery hasn't been charged from sitting all day. SO, I don't have a clue except to say it is unpredictable, and seems to be random.

OP
OP
Raptorbert

Raptorbert

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Raptor
Occupation
Janitor
I have a '21 Lariat with the 3.5EB and in past 3 years I have noticed that the ASS kicks in less frequently in the winter time, however lately mine has been kicking in more frequently than it used too...so either Ford is making changes in the background of how/when it operates, or the system itself is just garbage, and I have no idea how/why/when it chooses to kick in or not.

As my previous experience would have suggested that Coolant/Oil temps need to reach nominal for x amount of time and maybe battery charge level needs to be >xx%. However now even the 4 miles I drive from work to the highway seems to be enough for it to kick in, and nothing is up to temp, and the battery hasn't been charged from sitting all day. SO, I don't have a clue except to say it is unpredictable, and seems to be random.
That’s frustratingly wild to put it lightly. Enough to want to just disable it at that point. Are you in a cold climate?

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
That’s frustratingly wild to put it lightly. Enough to want to just disable it at that point. Are you in a cold climate?
Lovely state of Minnesota. Although this winter has been really mild so far, most lakes aren't even frozen over yet, and that usually happens in November.

It is frustrating. But i'm typically more upset when it does kick in...cause 9 out of 10 times for me, as soon as I'm stopped and the engine shuts off, the light turns green...so I don't save anything. That 1 out of 10 when I get to a stop and light just turned red, and I'm sitting there for 2-5 minutes, I could see how that might be saving some fuel.

hammerhead2411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
'21 lariat 3.5 eco.
Houston, TX. Mine ASS (love the acronym) only comes on during the winter months. More specifically 50-65 degrees outside.
I wonder if it's related to the ability to keep cabin temp steady. Hot outside, motor needs to be on to keep AC cool. Vice versa.

Sponsored

2Lazy2P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 3.5 EB Platinum FX4 701A
Fortunately, my ‘22 3.5EB Platinum only had one delete….ASS. My wife’s car has it and we disable it every time it’s driven.

OP
OP
Raptorbert

Raptorbert

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Raptor
Occupation
Janitor
Lovely state of Minnesota. Although this winter has been really mild so far, most lakes aren't even frozen over yet, and that usually happens in November.

It is frustrating. But i'm typically more upset when it does kick in...cause 9 out of 10 times for me, as soon as I'm stopped and the engine shuts off, the light turns green...so I don't save anything. That 1 out of 10 when I get to a stop and light just turned red, and I'm sitting there for 2-5 minutes, I could see how that might be saving some fuel.
I totally understand that and agree. I just wonder if something is draining my battery to cause this to happen or if this is normal. I know my Jeep would specifically state “too cold” as one of the reasons, the truck hasn’t ever said anything other than charging

OP
OP
Raptorbert

Raptorbert

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Raptor
Occupation
Janitor
'21 lariat 3.5 eco.
Houston, TX. Mine ASS (love the acronym) only comes on during the winter months. More specifically 50-65 degrees outside.
I wonder if it's related to the ability to keep cabin temp steady. Hot outside, motor needs to be on to keep AC cool. Vice versa.
I turned off my heated accessories and even the climate control. Did nothing to the effect of my A.S.S.

Eighthtry

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
Gentlemen, if your ASS is bugging you, then you can purchase and install a ASS Eliminator. It is a harness that plugs into the ASS switch that reverses the operation of the switch. When started ASS is off and the button must be punched to turn it back on.

Search for Autostop Eliminator and it will come up. Good company, quality product, very easy and quick to install.

OP
OP
Raptorbert

Raptorbert

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Raptor
Occupation
Janitor
Gentlemen, if your ASS is bugging you, then you can purchase and install a ASS Eliminator. It is a harness that plugs into the ASS switch that reverses the operation of the switch. When started ASS is off and the button must be punched to turn it back on.

Search for Autostop Eliminator and it will come up. Good company, quality product, very easy and quick to install.
It’s only bugging me as it’s not acting normally. I can disable it via forscan no problem but I would figure it should work at least sometimes. Perhaps it’s a battery issue but it is a warranty replacement from ford.
Sponsored