Utility mode in push button start models

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I am happily using my truck to run some of my house due to a power outage. I am new to pro power having purchased my XLT about a month ago. I am curious why there is no utility mode like the XLs have. I have my truck on and I turned off the hvac system as there is no reason to run it. I would have thought the truck could be set to shut everything down except for the generator and still have the engine start as needed.

Am I missing something?
Sponsored

Blackout150

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 2022 F150
Wondering the same thing. Don’t have my truck yet but curious about this. Do the keys have to be with it?

OP
OP
Mosey

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Wondering the same thing. Don’t have my truck yet but curious about this. Do the keys have to be with it?
The keys do not have to be with the truck, and in fact you can lock it too.

Blackout150

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 2022 F150

Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
They don’t need it. Utility idle in XL allows you to remove the key so you can lock your vehicle and leave it running. With push button you have your key, no need for a mode to allow you to take it out the ignition

OP
OP
Mosey

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
They don’t need it. Utility idle in XL allows you to remove the key so you can lock your vehicle and leave it running. With push button you have your key, no need for a mode to allow you to take it out the ignition
I get that, but why not have have a utility idle that turns of the hvac, headlights, etc? It just seems like a natural thing to have, key or no key.

OP
OP
Mosey

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
accessories mode.. is that what you’re referring to?
No, generator mode will only work with the truck fully on. My point is that running in generator mode on trucks with keyless ignitions means headlight, AC, heated seats, etc. will be fully operational.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I agree that when I'm going to be in generator mode for a lengthy time it would be nice to have a setting for that state that would differentiate it from when I sit in the truck as my office for a couple of hours at a time.
One includes me being comfortable in the cockpit and the other has me sitting in my lazyboy in the RV. :)

And if Ford does address this in the future, they could include a dead instrument panel and all other interior lighting for night use?
Currently I would dim everything as much as possible and put a cardboard cutout over the cluster.
Also note that I have returned to a much hotter than ambient interior after a night run. A "generator mode" could include some kind of HVAC setting that would allow the removal of heat soaking the interior if desired? I'm talking just a minimum amount of conditioning..... perhaps only when the ICE cycles on?

Just brainstorming.
A well thought out dedicated "unattended generator mode" would be cool.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I get that, but why not have have a utility idle that turns of the hvac, headlights, etc? It just seems like a natural thing to have, key or no key.
I agree, actually. I have the sequence now to shut off the HVAC, headlights, sync screen, and dim the cluster all the way, but Itd be nice if software just did that for us

Sponsored

Blueonblue

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT Contractor
The real annoying thing is when you go in the truck to get something and it honks twice at you because your key fob is in your pocket. I'm hoping Ford will address this soon. I hate the idea of leaving my key in my $70k truck at a campsite because I need my sandals at 1 am and don't want my truck honking.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
The real annoying thing is when you go in the truck to get something and it honks twice at you because your key fob is in your pocket. I'm hoping Ford will address this soon. I hate the idea of leaving my key in my $70k truck at a campsite because I need my sandals at 1 am and don't want my truck honking.
You can use FORScan to disable the double honk. First thing I do when I get a new truck. Been doing that since Gen 12 trucks.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Gotta be the #1 Forscan edit of all time?
Sponsored