First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford F-150 Lariat | '22 Ford F-350 S/D Tremor
Occupation
Firefighter Superintendent
Has anyone in Canada or anywhere that has a 2021 F-150 for the winter in your area, ever remotely started your truck while your truck's block heater is still plugged in? Any issues or better to remove it than start? I had a friend ask me this question as we are dropping down to -40 with WC tonight here in western Canada, and he wants to know if he can remote start the truck without removing the block heater, reduce the amount of going out to remove it each time when he goes to work. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Icecoldak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 Limited
I dont see why not--its just a heater, unplug when you go out to drive

OP
OP
Nightshade

Nightshade

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I dont see why not--its just a heater, unplug when you go out to drive
Would it be wise to start the truck with the plug still plugged into the external house outlet? He remote starts it for 30 minutes, from what he told me.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have remote started my trucks for years with them still plugged in. Will not hurt anything.

Gman61

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited
I have remote started my trucks for years with them still plugged in. Will not hurt anything.
with wifi, i have a wifi switch on the block heater and can turn on the heater remotely before starting it.....what would be approx min amount of time needed to have block heater on?..... 15 min, 30 min...longer? Probably makes a difference if it is 0 or -15....

i just searched on internet....said between 2 and 4 hours depending on temps

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nightshade

Nightshade

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
with wifi, i have a wifi switch on the block heater and can turn on the heater remotely before starting it.....what would be approx min amount of time needed to have block heater on?..... 15 min, 30 min...longer? Probably makes a difference if it is 0 or -15....

The block heaters sure does help in frigid temperatures. It was -44 with WC here in Alberta last night, currently sitting at -32 as we speak. The wifi switch, mind sharing where you got it from?

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
Has anyone in Canada or anywhere that has a 2021 F-150 for the winter in your area, ever remotely started your truck while your truck's block heater is still plugged in? Any issues or better to remove it than start? I had a friend ask me this question as we are dropping down to -40 with WC tonight here in western Canada, and he wants to know if he can remote start the truck without removing the block heater, reduce the amount of going out to remove it each time when he goes to work. Thanks in advance!
Just did exactly that with my Powerboost the last few mornings here in Montana. Zero issues.

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
The block heaters sure does help in frigid temperatures. It was -44 with WC here in Alberta last night, currently sitting at -32 as we speak. The wifi switch, mind sharing where you got it from?
As far as WC is concerned, it makes no difference to the engine. WC is for human references. The only temperature that matters to the engine is the ambient air temperature. The engine metals will only cool to the air temperature. As posted , start the truck any time, heater plugged in or not.

Gman61

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited
i got them from amazon... outdoor, three plugs availble, plus can activate each singularily, plus they can be programmed to come on and shut off as you like. such as i use with outdoor christmas lights...you can overide auto turn on or auto turn off and easily set timers. numerous timers if needed. just need to be in wifi range...download app from your smart phone and you can run the whole show from your phone. I have several of these switches...both indoor and outdoor....i am in command..?

Cody

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Flight Instructor
I live in Alaska and regularly have my truck plugged in, and I have remote started every morning with it still connected. I know quite a few people who do the same so I'd say it's safe.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nightshade

Nightshade

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
i got them from amazon... outdoor, three plugs availble, plus can activate each singularily, plus they can be programmed to come on and shut off as you like. such as i use with outdoor christmas lights...you can overide auto turn on or auto turn off and easily set timers. numerous timers if needed. just need to be in wifi range...download app from your smart phone and you can run the whole show from your phone. I have several of these switches...both indoor and outdoor....i am in command..?
Haha that is pretty cool! Any chance you have the link to the one you got?

OP
OP
Nightshade

Nightshade

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5
Occupation
Retired Electrician

I friend of mine worked at Temro, they made block heaters and interior car warmers. The block heaters are designed to bring the vehicle to max temperature in 4 hours. Any longer and it is a waste of power.

I wired a timer on my truck plug that would come on 4 hours before I would leave for work in the morning. The truck was always warm and started easily.

Last edited:

Icbmredrat

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew
Hello

the manual calls for a 220/240 outlet… I’ve seen vehicles use the standard typical 110/120 to run the block heater and the plug itself is a normal 3 prong… any concerns if I use a typical outlet?
Thanks
Sponsored