Any update on a Trailer TPMS system?

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid Platinum
So I have been trying to keep up with this thread, but am confused. Confusion happens more often than I like to admit, so apologies in advance if I am backtracking or missing what is obvious to everyone....

If I have a Job 2 2021 F150 and it has the option on the center stack screen camera menu for viewing an add on camera and it also has an option on the screen between the tach and speedometer for viewing trailer TMPS in the towing menu, do I need to rewire things or can I buy TPMS and a camera from Ford and just plug them in? If so, does anyone know the part numbers for those? It seems that the only parts for that listed on the Ford Parts pages is for an F250 and above. Are those plug and play as long as I have the options on the infotainment screens, or do I still need to do some hardware changes before those work?

Thanks!
the easiest thing to do is look at the back side of the plug on the rear bumper. If you only have 2 wires then yes you will need to change or add the rest. If you have more than 2 wires like 8 or so then you are good to go and just need the trailer hardware kit.
Sponsored

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
the easiest thing to do is look at the back side of the plug on the rear bumper. If you only have 2 wires then yes you will need to change or add the rest. If you have more than 2 wires like 8 or so then you are good to go and just need the trailer hardware kit.
Thanks! So the trailer hardware kit would be the one that's labeled on the Ford website as the one made for F250 and above?

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks! So the trailer hardware kit would be the one that's labeled on the Ford website as the one made for F250 and above?
It might be the same kit but there is a chart of part numbers for the trailer kits from the F-150 accessory page. I think its in this thread somewhere

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It might be the same kit but there is a chart of part numbers for the trailer kits from the F-150 accessory page. I think its in this thread somewhere
That's the part of all this that is confusing me most. I know that at one point in time there was a camera kit for the F150, but that has since disappeared from Ford's website and accessories. I just looked through the whole website. There is nothing for the F150, it's only for the F250. I don't know why they added that function to the F150 and then took away the parts needed to actually use it.

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's the part of all this that is confusing me most. I know that at one point in time there was a camera kit for the F150, but that has since disappeared from Ford's website and accessories. I just looked through the whole website. There is nothing for the F150, it's only for the F250. I don't know why they added that function to the F150 and then took away the parts needed to actually use it.
this is the sheet I copied from this forum. These were from the F-150 accessory catalog.
If you search the part numbers you can find the parts online for various prices.
Ford F-150 Any update on a Trailer TPMS system? 1650979094596

Sponsored

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On the accessories.ford.com website now that part number for the combo is listed as being for the Super Duty only. So I guess maybe they are the same parts used between the F150 and the Super Duty, as long as you have the multiple wires going into the pro trailer assist port on the truck. Thanks for your help!

Ford F-150 Any update on a Trailer TPMS system? Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 8.34.28 AM

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Correct, as recent replies state.

Step 1, is check back side of 12 pin connector. It will either have on 2 wired pins or it will have a lot (8 or 9). If only 2, the only thing that will work is the Yaw Sensor for Pro Trailer Backup Assist, until you are able to locate the correct harness and install under the truck.

Step 2 is to decide what you want on the trailer.
a. If just Yaw Sensor, then buy Yaw Sensor (I had to get from Ebay as 2022 models are sticker only as shipped) and Ford Accessories is a mess
b. If just Rear Cam or TPMS, or both then purchase that F250 accessory
c. If you want to support all 3, the get the Rear Cam (or TPMS, or both) with Pro-Trailer Backup Assist

The difference between b. and c. is c. has 3 connectors (one for TPMS, one for Rear Cam, and one for Yaw Sensor). While b. only has 2 (for TPMS and for Rear Cam).

This is what the phrase in the Description: "...With..." or "...Without..." Pro Trailer Backup Assist means (having the 3rd connector cable for the Yaw Sensor). It does NOT include the YAW Sensor, in any of the options.

tcp

First Name
Trieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum, 2019 Accord
Occupation
IT MGR
Correct, as recent replies state.

Step 1, is check back side of 12 pin connector. It will either have on 2 wired pins or it will have a lot (8 or 9). If only 2, the only thing that will work is the Yaw Sensor for Pro Trailer Backup Assist, until you are able to locate the correct harness and install under the truck.

Step 2 is to decide what you want on the trailer.
a. If just Yaw Sensor, then buy Yaw Sensor (I had to get from Ebay as 2022 models are sticker only as shipped) and Ford Accessories is a mess
b. If just Rear Cam or TPMS, or both then purchase that F250 accessory
c. If you want to support all 3, the get the Rear Cam (or TPMS, or both) with Pro-Trailer Backup Assist

The difference between b. and c. is c. has 3 connectors (one for TPMS, one for Rear Cam, and one for Yaw Sensor). While b. only has 2 (for TPMS and for Rear Cam).

This is what the phrase in the Description: "...With..." or "...Without..." Pro Trailer Backup Assist means (having the 3rd connector cable for the Yaw Sensor). It does NOT include the YAW Sensor, in any of the options.
Thanks! Just summed up 11 pages and 156 comments! If only you can do that for all the threads....

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Thanks! Just summed up 11 pages and 156 comments! If only you can do that for all the threads....
Ha, only because all of those who came before... I salute them!

I followed all the way thru, finally got my truck, then ordered parts. When I get the trailer hooked back up, I'll take some pics of it (cabling/install, screen shots).

Basically, I have the YAW sensor working with Pro Backup Assist, the TPMS (with Temp!) on the Gauge Screen (behind the steering wheel), the full and split screen cam views for backing up, etc.

My desire was to end up with everything accessible from Ford built-in displays, and not have 2 or 3 other displays when RVing.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Ha, only because all of those who came before... I salute them!

I followed all the way thru, finally got my truck, then ordered parts. When I get the trailer hooked back up, I'll take some pics of it (cabling/install, screen shots).

Basically, I have the YAW sensor working with Pro Backup Assist, the TPMS (with Temp!) on the Gauge Screen (behind the steering wheel), the full and split screen cam views for backing up, etc.

My desire was to end up with everything accessible from Ford built-in displays, and not have 2 or 3 other displays when RVing.
Very interested in this. Currently we have a Furrion 5" camera monitor with side and backup cameras on our TT and a TPMS box on the dash monitoring the TT tires. Would be very cool if these could be integrated into the truck's displays, but not holding my breath.

Ford F-150 Any update on a Trailer TPMS system? 1651055085517

Ford F-150 Any update on a Trailer TPMS system? 1651055116888

Sponsored

jdr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 3.5EB
Occupation
Retired Fire / EMS
I'll thank you as well ahead of time. I've been wanting to do the same (all inclusive within the truck). I'm still a ways out. I have truck and RV but currently no extra $$ to make it work (yet).

apex32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150
Awesome thread, so first off thanks to all that have done the leg work and contributed to this. I also have a '21 F150 w/ tow tech and 360 camera's and I'm looking for TPMS and camera for our TT.

I am going to work on finding the correct single exhaust harness for my truck, need to skim this thread again and then plan to order the camera/TPMS combo from ford. I did have one question for you guys, though - when you enable everything in Forscan, does it also allow you to view the TT camera while driving and cycle through them? Or are you still locked out? I'd like to use it for lane changes also if possible. Sorry if I missed this in the thread.

Thanks!

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Awesome thread, so first off thanks to all that have done the leg work and contributed to this. I also have a '21 F150 w/ tow tech and 360 camera's and I'm looking for TPMS and camera for our TT.

I am going to work on finding the correct single exhaust harness for my truck, need to skim this thread again and then plan to order the camera/TPMS combo from ford. I did have one question for you guys, though - when you enable everything in Forscan, does it also allow you to view the TT camera while driving and cycle through them? Or are you still locked out? I'd like to use it for lane changes also if possible. Sorry if I missed this in the thread.

Thanks!
I think that depends on what version level your APIM module is at. If you have everything upgraded to the latest version then you can use the camera while driving. If you have an older version then it might work or it might not.

CRFuzz

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 3.5EB
Occupation
DBA

Thanks!
Sorry for somewhat offtopic... what GD model is that in your profile pic? I've been looking at a few lately but not sure if too big for the truck.

Thanks

apex32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150
Sorry for somewhat offtopic... what GD model is that in your profile pic? I've been looking at a few lately but not sure if too big for the truck.

Thanks
Hi there - it's a 2019 Imagine 2400BH. My truck is the 2.7EB and tows it great with WDH. I did add the RAS helpers to the rear leaf springs. Sits pretty much dead level when loaded. Love the truck and the camper!
Sponsored